Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:21:06 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins  (Read 4035 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: July 08, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins 
LONDON – A treasure hunter has found about 52,500 Roman coins, one of the largest such discoveries ever in Britain, officials said Thursday.

The hoard, which was valued at 3.3 million pounds ($5 million), includes hundreds of coins bearing the image of Marcus Aurelius Carausius, who seized power in Britain and northern France in the late third century and proclaimed himself emperor.

Dave Crisp, a treasure hunter using a metal detector, located the coins in April in a field in southwestern England, according to the Somerset County Council and the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

The coins were buried in a large jar about a foot (30 centimeters) deep and weighed about 160 kilograms (350 pounds) in all.

Crisp said a "funny signal" from his metal detector prompted him to start digging.

"I put my hand in, pulled out a bit of clay and there was a little radial, a little bronze Roman coin — very, very small, about the size of my fingernail," Crisp said in an interview with the BBC.

He recovered about 20 coins before discovering that they were in a pot, and realized he needed expert help.

"Because Mr. Crisp resisted the temptation to dig up the coins it has allowed archaeologists from Somerset County Council to carefully excavate the pot and its contents, ensuring important evidence about the circumstances of its burial was preserved," said Anna Booth, of Somerset Council... 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100708/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_roman_coins

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »

Good for him for leaving his find virtually intact so the experts could derive maximum data.  Thumbup Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »

And where have we heard the name Marcus Auelius Carausius before? "My lover Marcus Auelius Carausius" Lady Sylvia Marsh (Amanda Donohoe) in "Lair of the White Worm."

Still, the location seems a little off. You think something like that'd be found in Derbyshire in northern England, where the film supposedly took place, not southwestern England.

As for the value of the coins, once they are sold. I believe the treasure hunter gets some of it. The landowner where the treasure trove was found gets some. And I think the government gets its share.  So, it looks like everybody makes out in this case.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »

That makes more sense than many relic laws in the U.S.   You can go to jail for picking up an arrowhead on some rivers and lakes.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »

That makes more sense than many relic laws in the U.S.   You can go to jail for picking up an arrowhead on some rivers and lakes.

I think, if I remember correctly, that is why the law was changed in the U.K. People were not turning in what they found. This way, with everybody getting something out of it, there is an incentive to turn in what you find.

I'd have posted this earlier, but I didn't have a calculator with me.

While the expected amount is for the treasure trove in toto, that works out to about $95.24 per coin.

And what I can not get my mind around, is how small most of the coins must be. That many coins comes to 0.1 oz. per coin. Or to put it another way, you'd need ten of them to equal an oz.

And while alot was done to make "Lair of the White Worm" as realistic as possible. That is not a bust of Marcus Auelius Carausius, "the Rebel Roman Emperor" in the hall of Temple House. Most likely it appears to be a bust of Augustus Caesar.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »

And where have we heard the name Marcus Auelius Carausius before? "My lover Marcus Auelius Carausius" Lady Sylvia Marsh (Amanda Donohoe) in "Lair of the White Worm."

Still, the location seems a little off. You think something like that'd be found in Derbyshire in northern England, where the film supposedly took place, not southwestern England.

As for the value of the coins, once they are sold. I believe the treasure hunter gets some of it. The landowner where the treasure trove was found gets some. And I think the government gets its share.  So, it looks like everybody makes out in this case.
Treasure Act 1996:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Act_1996

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.