Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:48:31 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Worst Rock Stars Ever « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Worst Rock Stars Ever  (Read 3302 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: July 11, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

The Worst Rock Stars Ever
This article is... interesting, and old... and mean spirited, and though it p**ses me off at times I might agree with much of it, ...and laughed a bit:  

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/worst-rock-stars.php

"Ted Nugent – Jesus Christ, how much depth do I have to go into here? He’s Ted f**king Nugent. He delights in killing and he wears a loincloth. He’s probably had sex with your mother..."

"Bono is a twat. Stop making records and go save the world off camera..."

"Johnny Rotten – Once the lead singer of Punk’s first prefab boy-band, The Sex Pistols,  [EDIT: this guy knows what he's writing about]... While the Sex Pistols may have caused genuine controversy upon their arrival in 1977, Rotten’s attempts to duplicate this controversy have generally involved sneering, saying “f**k off” a lot, and doing mildly outrageous things ...as if the mere sight of his face is enough to send shockwaves of panic through the straight world. He fails to realize that due to his years of overexposure and televised sneering, old people aren’t even scared of him anymore..."   

I wrote an email to the author tonight: 
Hi David,
I came across your 2004 article tonight regarding THE WORST ROCK STARS EVER including, JOBRIATH.

I have started a thread in the Entertainment section of a web forum I belong to, Badmovies.org, where we often discuss music, linking to your article:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,130711.0.html 

I enjoyed your article, but did not agree entirely.  I did feel it was warranted to include JOBRIATH on your list, but to perpetuate the myth that his records were "terrible" is not fair, particularly since you do not overtly state it, but, you make readily apparent to the attentive reader that you had NOT listened to the records yourself.  Which, by the way, are not so terrible, and really, quite good.  But, only recently available on CD through the efforts of that other artist you denigrate (MORRISSEY - I ain't no fan).  Great article, nearly, but, you MUST listen to the records you proclaim "terrible" and, decide for yourself.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:24:18 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »

I'd pretty much agree with everything written.  Bono is a terrible front man of a terrible band as far as I'm concerned, so I'd have him at #1.  Liam Gallagher at #2.

I like the Sex Pistols for what they were.  I'm not saying they're a great band by any means.  But one could say they kinda helped pave the way for other "Pop/Punk boybands" such as AFI or Good Charlotte, which really isn't that great a thing.  Meh.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »

I actually liked Public Image Limited in the '80s. I watched a couple of videos recently, however, and I laughed every time Rotten mugged for the camera, screeching about "hate is an energy." It looked like a parody of angry rock far more than being actual angry rock. I kept expecting him to laugh, too, because he couldn't have been seriously thinking that "the look" he was giving the camera could be taken seriously. Or maybe I just watched too much of The Young Ones since Rotten's heyday and found that Vivien is much more enjoyable to watch.

Most of the article just reeked of "I'm too cool to like any act that was wildly successful because that would be admitting I have something in common with the general public; I'm way too far above them for that." I'll admit that many extremely successful bands aren't that great, and that many great bands aren't always all that successful, but the elitist attitude Thorpe shows just grates on me. Anyone who feels the need to go out of his way to bash popular bands to show how cool he is just fails to amuse me or gain any measure of respect in my eyes. If you don't like a band, don't listen to them. People's tastes vary. Get over it.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »

That dude's writing style was kind of prickish but I have to admit I agree most of these, especially Morrissey and Liam Gallagher, overrated douchebags.  Axl is a horrible person (although I still love the early GNR output) and Ted Nugent is certifiably insane. 
Bono would be a pompous twerp no matter what he did for a living; I feel bad for the other guys in U2 because they're good musicians, and Bono takes all the attention.
That Steven Tyler quote about the three M's really does nicely show up everything that's wrong about Steven Tyler.  Comedian Greg Behrendt had a pretty good bit about that, something like, "Don't get me wrong, I think 'mmmm p***y all the time, I hope I think it until I die; in fact I hope on my last day alive when I'm old and hooked up to machines, I hope the nurse that comes to unplug me is hot and my very last thought is, 'mmmm, p***y!'  But I STOPPED SAYING IT OUT LOUD WHEN I TURNED 19."  Well, Steven, you haven't been 19 for about a hundred years and you're just making everyone uncomfortable.
I thought "Rotten Television" was kind of a fun show, and "Never Mind the Bollocks" is still an iconic album, but yeah, Johnny never did learn how to just get over himself.
I don't really have strong feelings about the other three either way.  (That's sort of the problem with Lenny Kravitz, though, he's not great or terrible, he's just....there.)

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »

That's the problem with Kravitz.  He's just...there.

I like enough of his songs well enough.  But, he's not OVERLY talented, in as much as other bands.  But, I'd say he's a bit more talented (in my mind), than others such as Limp Bizkit or Creed.  But in the end they put out generic rock.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The Worst Rock Stars Ever « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.