Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:56:11 PM
714250 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  This is a good year for b-movies on DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: This is a good year for b-movies on DVD  (Read 6717 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: July 12, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »

I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
All of the old school Gamera movies in widescreen versions with both language tracks in some cases
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
A new release of the Slumber Party Massacre series
Five Element Ninja
And the restored Shaw Brother's films continue to be released

Now, if I could add some to my wish list:

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Sorceress (please Shout! Factory, please)
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

Come to think of it, last year from around summer on, was also very good to us for b-movies and bad movies on DVD.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »

Roger Corman has been releasing his old movies under the "Cult Classics" (or somesuch) name.  DEATH RACE and ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL have already been released, probably some others I missed.  I bet DVD special editions are following.

The Gamera movies are also coming out in shiny new editions from Shout! Factory.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:22:35 AM »

Let us not (as if we could) forget the release of the immortal Nukie on DVD.  Buggedout Twirling TongueOut

I am still highly p****d off at NuMetro Home Entertainment for not using my liner notes.  Hatred

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:48:05 AM »

Let us not (as if we could) forget the release of the immortal Nukie on DVD.  Buggedout Twirling TongueOut

I am still highly p****d off at NuMetro Home Entertainment for not using my liner notes.  Hatred

Tell them that the fans of Nukie in the US refuse to go to all the trouble to buy the SA release because of that.
No one will treat Trevor that way!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:33 AM »

Tell them that the fans of Nukie in the US refuse to go to all the trouble to buy the SA release because of that.
No one will treat Trevor that way!

TeddyR Consider yourself karma'd +1 for those nice words.  Thumbup

This is what the powers-that-be rejected:

Along with the David Winters / Neal Sundstrom directed Space Mutiny, Nukie is a famous South African film of the 1980’s. Famous, yes but for all the wrong reasons unfortunately. Both the former and the latter productions were made ~ in the horrible terminology of the South African 1980’s ~ for ‘the international market’ and failed, both here and overseas. Nukie ~ an obvious take-off of the Steven Spielberg film ET The Extraterrestrial ~ deals with two aliens, Nukie and Miko who are at first visible as two stars that crash-land to earth and later, in a physical form described by one critic as “looking like a shaved Oscar The Grouch dipped in chocolate” and another as “the only baboon ugly enough to frighten his own kind” which pushes their resemblance to ET a lot closer.

Ostensibly a children’s film ~ indeed, it was praised at a children’s film festival in the late 1980s ~ Nukie is the story of two lost alien brothers whose spaceships crash land on different continents (one in America and the other in Africa) and their search to find each other all the while communicating through their minds. Nukie befriends ~ or tries to befriend ~ various animals en route to locating his brother and, while dodging the attentions of a drunken White Hunter, makes a connection with two young African boys who attempt to help Nukie in getting home.

Jim H

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:45 AM »

Are you talking region 3 releases (which I own a bunch of), or just American region 1 releases of the existing Celestial versions?  I ask because I thought Celestial had stopped putting them out, which made me sad.  I'd be glad to hear they're doing more.   Smile
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »

I was pretty blown away when I noticed that Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World were coming out on Blu ray.  Unfortunately Shout Factory isn't doing anything that would make them worth buying on Blu ray, at least judging by what they did with Death Race 2000.  Hi-Def digest gives the picture quality a 2.5/5 and the audio quality a 1.5/5. Judging by their comments they were extremely generous to give the picture quality the rating they did.  Guess I'll save $7 and just get the DVD's.  I see Flash Gordon is out on Blu ray as well, I'll definitely be picking that up.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:12 AM »

I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
All of the old school Gamera movies in widescreen versions with both language tracks in some cases
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
Five Element Ninja

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

Come to think of it, last year from around summer on, was also very good to us for b-movies and bad movies on DVD.

I bought a DVD-R of STARCRASH from Cinema de Bizarre a few months ago.  Great trash.  CALTIKI is also available on DVD-R from several online sources, but I haven't bought that one yet.  I bought DEATH RACE 2000 the last time it was released.  I assume the version coming out this year will have more extras?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:09:45 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

the arena is on tv alot. the action channel that no one watches
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »

B movies are getting a release here too ! Smile

And more...

And then there's the Roger Corman stuff !

And there's lots more of that too...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
Five Element Ninja

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

STARCRASH! I actually saw that in the movie theatre when it came out (yes I'm that old). I was a young lad and a friend of the family took me to see it. Believe it or not, this was actually paired in an double-feature with the 1978 remake ofInvasion of the Bodysnatchers.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »

STARCRASH! I actually saw that in the movie theatre when it came out (yes I'm that old). I was a young lad and a friend of the family took me to see it. Believe it or not, this was actually paired in an double-feature with the 1978 remake ofInvasion of the Bodysnatchers.

I saw YOR: HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE in the theater (imagine my surprise / dismay).  I also saw METALSTORM in 3-D in the theater.  I remember when STAR CRASH was around, but I never got to the theater to see it.  On another note, MESSAGE FROM SPACE is in one of the Mill Creek 50 Movie Packs.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »

The weird 1970 George Montgomery movie Satan's Harvest is being released on DVD soon, as are Ivan Hall's Karate Olympia [Kill or Be Killed] and Kill & Kill Again.

Me write liner notes: yes please.  Wink

vukxfiles
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »

Is Gamera vs viras ever going to come out?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »

Is Gamera vs viras ever going to come out?

You can find it here in the US under the alternate title DESTROY ALL PLANETS.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  This is a good year for b-movies on DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.