Main Menu

This is a good year for b-movies on DVD

Started by Andrew, July 12, 2010, 08:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
All of the old school Gamera movies in widescreen versions with both language tracks in some cases
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
A new release of the Slumber Party Massacre series
Five Element Ninja
And the restored Shaw Brother's films continue to be released

Now, if I could add some to my wish list:

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Sorceress (please Shout! Factory, please)
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

Come to think of it, last year from around summer on, was also very good to us for b-movies and bad movies on DVD.
Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org

Rev. Powell

Roger Corman has been releasing his old movies under the "Cult Classics" (or somesuch) name.  DEATH RACE and ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL have already been released, probably some others I missed.  I bet DVD special editions are following.

The Gamera movies are also coming out in shiny new editions from Shout! Factory.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Trevor

Let us not (as if we could) forget the release of the immortal Nukie on DVD.  :buggedout: :twirl: :tongueout:

I am still highly p****d off at NuMetro Home Entertainment for not using my liner notes.  :hatred:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Nukie 2

Quote from: Trevor on July 13, 2010, 01:22:35 AM
Let us not (as if we could) forget the release of the immortal Nukie on DVD.  :buggedout: :twirl: :tongueout:

I am still highly p****d off at NuMetro Home Entertainment for not using my liner notes.  :hatred:

Tell them that the fans of Nukie in the US refuse to go to all the trouble to buy the SA release because of that.
No one will treat Trevor that way!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783

Trevor

Quote from: Nukie 2 on July 13, 2010, 01:48:05 AM
Tell them that the fans of Nukie in the US refuse to go to all the trouble to buy the SA release because of that.
No one will treat Trevor that way!

:teddyr: Consider yourself karma'd +1 for those nice words.  :thumbup:

This is what the powers-that-be rejected:

Along with the David Winters / Neal Sundstrom directed Space Mutiny, Nukie is a famous South African film of the 1980's. Famous, yes but for all the wrong reasons unfortunately. Both the former and the latter productions were made ~ in the horrible terminology of the South African 1980's ~ for 'the international market' and failed, both here and overseas. Nukie ~ an obvious take-off of the Steven Spielberg film ET The Extraterrestrial ~ deals with two aliens, Nukie and Miko who are at first visible as two stars that crash-land to earth and later, in a physical form described by one critic as "looking like a shaved Oscar The Grouch dipped in chocolate" and another as "the only baboon ugly enough to frighten his own kind" which pushes their resemblance to ET a lot closer.

Ostensibly a children's film ~ indeed, it was praised at a children's film festival in the late 1980s ~ Nukie is the story of two lost alien brothers whose spaceships crash land on different continents (one in America and the other in Africa) and their search to find each other all the while communicating through their minds. Nukie befriends ~ or tries to befriend ~ various animals en route to locating his brother and, while dodging the attentions of a drunken White Hunter, makes a connection with two young African boys who attempt to help Nukie in getting home.

Jim H

QuoteAnd the restored Shaw Brother's films continue to be released

Are you talking region 3 releases (which I own a bunch of), or just American region 1 releases of the existing Celestial versions?  I ask because I thought Celestial had stopped putting them out, which made me sad.  I'd be glad to hear they're doing more.   :smile:

Jack

I was pretty blown away when I noticed that Galaxy of Terror and Forbidden World were coming out on Blu ray.  Unfortunately Shout Factory isn't doing anything that would make them worth buying on Blu ray, at least judging by what they did with Death Race 2000.  Hi-Def digest gives the picture quality a 2.5/5 and the audio quality a 1.5/5. Judging by their comments they were extremely generous to give the picture quality the rating they did.  Guess I'll save $7 and just get the DVD's.  I see Flash Gordon is out on Blu ray as well, I'll definitely be picking that up.
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

The Burgomaster

Quote from: Andrew on July 12, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
All of the old school Gamera movies in widescreen versions with both language tracks in some cases
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
Five Element Ninja

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

Come to think of it, last year from around summer on, was also very good to us for b-movies and bad movies on DVD.

I bought a DVD-R of STARCRASH from Cinema de Bizarre a few months ago.  Great trash.  CALTIKI is also available on DVD-R from several online sources, but I haven't bought that one yet.  I bought DEATH RACE 2000 the last time it was released.  I assume the version coming out this year will have more extras?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

lester1/2jr

the arena is on tv alot. the action channel that no one watches

Doggett

B movies are getting a release here too ! :smile:

And more...

And then there's the Roger Corman stuff !

And there's lots more of that too...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.

Flick James

Quote from: Andrew on July 12, 2010, 08:59:11 PM
I was thinking about it tonight as I browsed some things, and discovered a few new and future releases.  This year Starcrash is coming to a restored DVD and Blu-ray version, which is something I have been wishing for for many years.  Also out, or soon to be out, on DVD:

Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Death Race 2000
Message from Space
Metalstorm:  The Destruction of Jared-Syn!
Five Element Ninja

The Green Slime
Terrorvision
The Arena
Rollerblade
Demon Wind
Moontrap
Caltiki
Radioactive Dreams
Yor!  The Hunter from the Future

STARCRASH! I actually saw that in the movie theatre when it came out (yes I'm that old). I was a young lad and a friend of the family took me to see it. Believe it or not, this was actually paired in an double-feature with the 1978 remake ofInvasion of the Bodysnatchers.
I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org

The Burgomaster

Quote from: Flick James on July 13, 2010, 01:36:27 PM
STARCRASH! I actually saw that in the movie theatre when it came out (yes I'm that old). I was a young lad and a friend of the family took me to see it. Believe it or not, this was actually paired in an double-feature with the 1978 remake ofInvasion of the Bodysnatchers.

I saw YOR: HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE in the theater (imagine my surprise / dismay).  I also saw METALSTORM in 3-D in the theater.  I remember when STAR CRASH was around, but I never got to the theater to see it.  On another note, MESSAGE FROM SPACE is in one of the Mill Creek 50 Movie Packs.
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Trevor

The weird 1970 George Montgomery movie Satan's Harvest is being released on DVD soon, as are Ivan Hall's Karate Olympia [Kill or Be Killed] and Kill & Kill Again.

Me write liner notes: yes please.  :wink:

vukxfiles

Is Gamera vs viras ever going to come out?

Rev. Powell

Quote from: vukxfiles on July 14, 2010, 02:45:59 AM
Is Gamera vs viras ever going to come out?

You can find it here in the US under the alternate title DESTROY ALL PLANETS.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...