Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:21:24 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Inception « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Inception  (Read 12098 times)
Vik
« on: July 15, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »

I can't even begin to express how much I'm looking forward on seeing this. I'm a big Christopher Nolan fan and this looks like it might be his best film so far (That's saying a lot : The Dark Knight, The Prestige,  Batman Begins)
And it scores 9.5 on IMDB, that's the highest IMDB rating I've ever seen. So yes, this is sure to be a mastepiece.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:30:33 PM by vik » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »

I'm really looking forward to it to.

But don't rely on IMDB #s before a film is released.  People are rating it a 10 without actually seeing it.  That rating will fall once the film is actually released, and over the years it will fall further.  Movies always start out with inflated ratings on IMDB and fall over time.

Rotten Tomatoes currently rates it 87%, which is very good and a lot more realistic.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Vik
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »

Yeah, you're probably right.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »

Some theaters around here are showing it tonight at midnight.  I, however, shall be in bed and will wait until this weekend to see it.  I'm really looking forward to it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »

Just got back from seeing it a short while ago and I really really liked it.  For those of you who can enjoy films dealing with perception of reality and whatnot there's a lot to love here.  While the concepts are nothing revolutionary the film itself is really thrilling and brilliantly constructed.  It's nearly 3 hours long but nothing felt superfluous and some of it's visually dazzling.  I don't want to say much about the plot 'cause I went in with very little knowledge of the story and the less you know about it the better.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:22:33 PM by Pilgermann » Logged

Sersonius
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:39:12 AM »

But don't rely on IMDB #s before a film is released.  People are rating it a 10 without actually seeing it.  That rating will fall once the film is actually released, and over the years it will fall further.  Movies always start out with inflated ratings on IMDB and fall over time.

Rotten Tomatoes currently rates it 87%, which is very good and a lot more realistic.   
I don't want to sound negative but you discourage from taking IMDB score seriously - especially that early (a very sound advice) and then you metnions rotten tomatoes as a reliable source for anything ?
BTW - metacritic (or Rotten Tomatoes top critics) average is 76 which is also pretty good. Otoh the differences in opinions are extreme - more than usual.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

I don't want to sound negative but you discourage from taking IMDB score seriously - especially that early (a very sound advice) and then you metnions rotten tomatoes as a reliable source for anything ?
BTW - metacritic (or Rotten Tomatoes top critics) average is 76 which is also pretty good. Otoh the differences in opinions are extreme - more than usual.

Yeah.  Rotten Tomatoes ratings are less inflated, and they only count the votes of people who've actually seen the movie.  Also, there's a "self-selection" problem on IMDB---early on, the ratings are dominated by die hard fans; people who aren't as enthusiastic haven't seen the movie yet.  That's one reason the IMDB ratings always go down after the film has been released on DVD.  I think RT is definitely a better barometer of how good the movie is early on. 

Jim H

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

Yeah.  Rotten Tomatoes ratings are less inflated, and they only count the votes of people who've actually seen the movie.  Also, there's a "self-selection" problem on IMDB---early on, the ratings are dominated by die hard fans; people who aren't as enthusiastic haven't seen the movie yet.  That's one reason the IMDB ratings always go down after the film has been released on DVD.  I think RT is definitely a better barometer of how good the movie is early on. 

RT is usually a decent barometer once the movie is actually released, in my experience.  Sometimes it can be misleading when they're only listing early reviews though.

Well, I saw it.  It was good.  Some of it was definitely stunning, and there's a lot of good ideas on display.  Fast paced, in general, as you'd expect from Nolan.  A tight script.  Good acting and action sequences.  And I did enjoy it.

As you can guess, there's a 'but' in here.  Somehow, emotionally the film didn't really connect for me.  I suspect this is partly because Leonardo DiCaprio was in the lead.  I think he's a good actor, but he's always somehow removed and reserved in his roles.  I can rarely really feel for his characters - compare him to Cillian Murphy in the film, who has probably 1/10th the screen time but I found myself empathizing more with.  That's fine in many of his roles, but considering the importance of his character arc in this film, it really took something away here. 

Aside from DiCaprio, the film also felt too long to me.  I was getting a little tired of its labryinth-like complexity by the end because of this.  Admittedly, this may have had something to do with me not being in the greatest frame of mind when I saw the film (I was a little tired to begin with). 

Overall, it's either a 7 or 8 out of 10...  I think I'll need to see it again to really decide, but that will probably not be until the DVD comes out.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »

RT is usually a decent barometer once the movie is actually released, in my experience.  Sometimes it can be misleading when they're only listing early reviews though.

That is true when they are selective in who they screen the movie to.  MACGRUBER got excellent pre-release reviews because they didn't let the "real" critics see it, then the ratings plummeted once Roger Ebert & crew got a chance to look at it. 

I'll be seeing INCEPTION this Tuesday, looking forward to it!

jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »

Really cool movie. However I wasn't really paying attention at points and I got lost.  TongueOut

Spoiler!

How did DiCaprio end up where the Chinese business guy was somehow on the beach ?
Also how DiCaprio planted an idea in his wife's mind while they were in the heaviest dream state possible ?
And if the subconscious mind of the dreamer populates the dream, how could they be sure that the air of the business dreams of the idea they want to plant in the final stage ?
Another question is can anyone control the maze of the dream except the dreamer, or only the architect ?

I probably need to see the movie again.

-Jimmybob

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »

I can't even begin to express how much I'm looking forward on seeing this. I'm a big Christopher Nolan fan and this looks like it might be his best film so far (That's saying a lot : The Dark Knight, The Prestige,  Batman Begins)
And it scores 9.5 on IMDB, that's the highest IMDB rating I've ever seen. So yes, this is sure to be a mastepiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM

IMDb has it at 9.1 and has the number three spot. TeddyR

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »

I'm going to see it this weekend. I usually avoid movies that have high amounts of CGI, but this one looks good.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »

I'm going to see it this weekend. I usually avoid movies that have high amounts of CGI, but this one looks good.

There's actually not that much CG in this one.  Yeah, it's used, but it's comparable to The Dark Knight, maybe a little more than that.  Lots of miniatures, on location shooting, and elaborate sets (including a large hallway set they built onto a spinner so they could rotate it, rather than relying on CG/wires for the effect).
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »

There's actually not that much CG in this one.  Yeah, it's used, but it's comparable to The Dark Knight, maybe a little more than that.  Lots of miniatures, on location shooting, and elaborate sets (including a large hallway set they built onto a spinner so they could rotate it, rather than relying on CG/wires for the effect).

Well, then, even better. Cheers

The trailer gave me the impression there would be wall-to-wall CGI.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 02:33:57 PM »

Saw it.  Loved it.  Best movie of the year so far IMO.  Will be composing a long review later today.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Inception « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.