Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:00 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annoying Stereotypes « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Annoying Stereotypes  (Read 9653 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »

Christian stereotypes annoy me.  When people find out I am one, they automatically assume I'm against education, the sciences, hate gays, etc.  When they find out I don't fit any of those stereotypes, I'm a huge hypocrite for picking and choosing which parts of my religion I follow.  Just can't win.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »

We've had people come to us and say "we thought about moving, but didn't; just wanted to say your children are very well behaved."

We've also had quite a number of people comment to us how they behave at restaurants, even to the point of giving small trinkets to them as 'reward.'  No, these are not people we know...complete strangers doing something nice to reinforce positive behavior.

But, we still get the snide looks, mostly from older couples/groups who probably have been through it with their own children and now think that gives them license to be uppity.

On the other hand, our children are certainly not like this ALL the time - they CAN be the little hellions people presuppose they will be.  But in those cases, WE tend to leave for two main reasons.  (1) It's OUR JOB to handle it, not to ask everyone else to deal with it, (2) we don't want to reward bad behavior with the fun of eating out.

Your experience sounds exactly like ours.  The kids are usually very well behaved.  If they are not, we do our job as parents.  Either the kids start behaving, or if we cannot get the problems under control we leave.  We have also had other people stop by to say how well behaved the children are.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

Christian stereotypes annoy me.  When people find out I am one, they automatically assume I'm against education, the sciences, hate gays, etc.  When they find out I don't fit any of those stereotypes, I'm a huge hypocrite for picking and choosing which parts of my religion I follow.  Just can't win.

Is there any way to win with religion? If you feel right with your Creator, and you've given up on religion and what others think, and you don't let the judgements of others and the texts of those from thousands of years ago rule your life, you've won.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »

hi
i can totally sympathise with you on the restaurant things. i had one guy come up to me and start ranting that i should have told him my son was disabled BEFORE he wasted his money buying his meal>.like i was going to do that :thumbdown:i have also had people look at me and my family then walk back out of the restaurant.
macabre Hatred

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

And that mantra, "jobs Americans aren't willing to do" really makes my blood boil.

lol... It's really... Job That American's Cannot Legally Do, that's because those jobs are either below Minimum Wage and/or unprotective for the workers... It's going to be funny once the Illegal Immigrants become American Citizens and then they have to quit their jobs...

When you have ADHD, Aspergers' & disgraphia, you're employment options are limited.
It doesn't help much when a predominant group of individuals doesn't want you're kind around.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

Thw worst stereotype of myself that I've ever come across is one person's point of view that "you have to be a black person in order to be truly African". That makes me angry ~ I was born on this continent, so were my parents, grand parents and great-grandparents so I am 100% African. If I have to be black in order to be African, then I am black and I am proud.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48:55 AM »

Firstly (and not surprisingly) are the endless stereotypes of Heavy Metal. I'm sick of constantley hearing people say that it's "Satan's Music", that it takes no talent to play (any one who's tried to learn a Death Metal song knows how idiotic that statement is),
that it's all just screaming with fast guitars (that one really p**ses me off) and most of all: that all bands work for the devil and are trying to brainwash society (again, complete and utter BS).

There are a few heavy metal bands (only a few) that I don't really like, but that kind of music is by and large great to listen to. What irritates the heck out of me is when people tell you that you will go to hell if you listen to metal, rock 'n roll etc: my usual response to that is $#@% you, I listen to what I like.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

Thw worst stereotype of myself that I've ever come across is one person's point of view that "you have to be a black person in order to be truly African". That makes me angry ~ I was born on this continent, so were my parents, grand parents and great-grandparents so I am 100% African. If I have to be black in order to be African, then I am black and I am proud.

So, if you emigrated to the U.S. and became a citizen, would you be an African-American?  TeddyR

Skull
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »

So, if you emigrated to the U.S. and became a citizen, would you be an African-American?  TeddyR

Hmmmm... if Americans emigrated to Africa would they be American-Africans? If a Polish person emigrated to America and then to Africa would they be called Polish-American-African? (and what happen is Polish person has a Greek wife and they have children? would the kids be called Polish-Greek-American-African?)

Cthulhu

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »

I'm sick of hearing people that say that midgets can do magic.
If they could that one could have easily got out from my trunk a few years ago. He would've burned the ropes or something.
Skull
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »

I'm sick of hearing people that say that midgets can do magic.
If they could that one could have easily got out from my trunk a few years ago. He would've burned the ropes or something.

Odd, I've never heard that one... although it seems that many "good" b-horror films with castles in the 1960's to early 1970's has midgets... so maybe they can do magic...  Buggedout
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:33:46 AM »

We've had people come to us and say "we thought about moving, but didn't; just wanted to say your children are very well behaved."
We've also had quite a number of people comment to us how they behave at restaurants, even to the point of giving small trinkets to them as 'reward.'  No, these are not people we know...complete strangers doing something nice to reinforce positive behavior.
But, we still get the snide looks, mostly from older couples/groups who probably have been through it with their own children and now think that gives them license to be uppity.
On the other hand, our children are certainly not like this ALL the time - they CAN be the little hellions people presuppose they will be.  But in those cases, WE tend to leave for two main reasons.  (1) It's OUR JOB to handle it, not to ask everyone else to deal with it, (2) we don't want to reward bad behavior with the fun of eating out.
Your experience sounds exactly like ours.  The kids are usually very well behaved.  If they are not, we do our job as parents.  Either the kids start behaving, or if we cannot get the problems under control we leave.  We have also had other people stop by to say how well behaved the children are.
Today my sister-in-law took me out to lunch, and shortly after we were seated, a couple came in with their toddler daughter.  I have to admit, I had a moment of regret having had our table switched from in the sun, to a cooler spot in the recesses of the restaurant.  This child was not only quiet as a mouse, but well behaved, even though this was a kind-of high-end restaurant, and not really a place for children.  If she'd been obnoxious, who knows how the parents may have reacted (I've seen parents ignore exceedingly ill-behaved children) but you never know, and patience is a virtue. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:18 AM »

My cousin owns a sheep farm (not his main source of income) in a small town in Highland near West Virginia.
I'll give you two guesses what I'm sick of.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Vik
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:49 AM »

Every black person has a big penis.
I highly doubt that, sure there probably are a lot of black persons with a big penis, but not all of them. Black women for example.

(I don't mean anything racist by what I just said, it's just a known stereotype)
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »

Every black person has a big penis.
I highly doubt that, sure there probably are a lot of black persons with a big penis, but not all of them. Black women for example.

(I don't mean anything racist by what I just said, it's just a known stereotype)

Well, speaking as a former servicemember who unfortunately had to see a large number of naked men, especially early on in open showers, most black men do have big penises. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Now, do all of them know how to satisfy a woman? That still comes down to the individual no matter who you are. If it makes you feel inadequate then you're obviously more concerned over your own self-image than your performance.

Didn't mean to make the thread disturbing. 'Twas not my intent. Carry on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annoying Stereotypes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.