Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:26:09 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  7 Disney Films Based on Not Kid Friendly Material « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 7 Disney Films Based on Not Kid Friendly Material  (Read 6449 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »

Disney movies have fun, light hearted, dark and depressing when needed, cute, suprisingly deep or twisted, but ultimately end on a good note.  However, let's look back to the source material of these wonderful films, shall we?  In reality, these original stories aren't exactly happy tales.  I already knew the original story of The Little Mermaid (Both verisons of it), but damn.  I knew nothing about the others (Well the Hercules story I did know, but not as well).  Time for a wakeup call folks.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18589_7-classic-disney-movies-based-r-rated-stories.html

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Sersonius
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:51 AM »

Good read. I liked The Little Mermaid part the most - gory stuff  Wink. I have never read the original but it is Andersen's so i'm not surprised at all. Anyway, raping literature in movie adaptations by adding happy endings is sadly not limited to movies for kids.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

Jesus Mary and Joe Strummer, that Fox & the Hound Book sounds worse than Plague Dogs! Buggedout

This was definitely an interesting read, of course if you go back and look at the original versions, nearly all fairy tales are pretty gruesome and messed up - I have an old-school Bros. Grimm collection and there's stuff in there that Cronenberg would wince at.  Pinocchio and the Jungle Book, I'll admit, I actually prefer the movie versions, just for the characterizations.  (When I read Pinocchio I was kind of amazed at what a little bastard that puppet is, if I was Geppetto I wouldn't have bothered trying to get him back.)
It should probably be mentioned that although the first book is something of a downer, Tarzan does eventually get to be with Jane as the book series progresses; I'd take more of an issue with the British imperialism and racism in those books.
And yeah, there wasn't a single thing they got right in Hercules.  That's the only one on the list that really annoys me.  The real villains in that story were Hera and Zeus.  Hades is NOT the Greek version of Satan; he's just the caretaker of the afterlife and all things considered, he's actually better-behaved than most of the other gods because he's less prone to pettiness.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

Good read. I liked The Little Mermaid part the most - gory stuff  Wink. I have never read the original but it is Andersen's so i'm not surprised at all. Anyway, raping literature in movie adaptations by adding happy endings is sadly not limited to movies for kids.

It's a good read.  Her price for getting legs was that she would feel the pain in her feet as if walking on blades. 

I disagree with the article on one point, though.  I just read this story about two weeks ago, and I don't remember anything about her feet actually BLEEDING...just that she would feel the pain of walking on blades.

Also, I don't think he was ever in love with her...she could not sing, so her 'skill' to present to him was to dance for him.  He was impressed by her dancing, so he took her around and made her dance for people.  I don't think he ever intended their relationship to be anything but "Me Prince, You, Dance for Prince and Prince's Friends).

Weird story, really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ChaosTheory

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

Yeah, now that you mention it I'm pretty sure her feet didn't bleed in Anderson's version.  And you're right, the prince never did fall in love with her, and he was kind of a twit really. 
I sometimes wonder what Anderson's motivation was for writing that story.  Maybe there were people who wanted to be around him because he was  a talented writer but didn't actually care about him and he was venting; or maybe he was just a sadist writing horror stories for kids.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »

I think there was the happy ending in the original Cinderella, but the stepsisters did get their eyeballs pecked out by crows.  Nummy!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Couchtr26

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »

Well Cendrillon (Cinderella), I remember reading in French class.  They (stepsisters) cut their toes off to try to fit in the slipper if I remember correctly.  I do believe the end was happy as well. 

Ah, the good old days.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »

I Have Also Read A Lot Of Stories That DISNEY Films Are Based On .....Very Morbid Stuff

I Can't Really Blame Old Walt Disney For Editing These Sick Little Stories

......By The Way Did Anyone Read Hans Christian Anderson's Story THE ROSE ELF  With The Girl Making Out With A Severed Head And The Killer Fairies That Live In The Flowers?.........Why Is That A Story For Children?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »

I read the article, and having read most of the original stories, before Disney turned them into a film, I agree that Disney does go heavy for the happier ending, and they do tone down any violence that may be in the original story.

But, that does not mean that the film is worst than the novel. Especially, in the case of "Pinocchio," which was originally written by Carlo Collodi, who was Italian, and thus wrote a story that was very Italian in its original version.

Which Disney then Americanized, probably to make it more palpable for American audiences. Indeed, Collodi's son complained how Americanized Disney had made the title character. But, I don't think the film is the worst for that, especially for American audiences. Indeed, Americanized or not, I find the film far more watchable, than I find the original novel readable.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

I thought that the article was going to talk about the Pirates of the Carribean, one the witch mountain movies or something of this nature.  Or perhaps Bambi or Robin Hood.  The movies and the books that the movies are based of I would never had thought of a bad ending.  I know that movies (for the most part) do not go strictly by the book, they mainly just are a interpretation, but wow!

I will look at the movies different now.   Question

Still will enjoy.  This is something that I wouldn't let my kids know right now.

Very interesting.  Karma for bringing this up.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Skull
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »

I think there was the happy ending in the original Cinderella, but the stepsisters did get their eyeballs pecked out by crows.  Nummy!

Actually I thought one of the stepsisters cut off her toes so her foot could fit the glass slipper.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  7 Disney Films Based on Not Kid Friendly Material « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.