Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:53 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise.  (Read 8013 times)
Skull
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »

wow... I just saw the remake(?) a few weeks ago... and boy this movie sucked ass!

(warning spoilers - rant)

I've realized the new Friday the 13th movie isn’t a remake and it can never be if as long as Jason starts off killing people with a hockey mask.

Although, there is several events in the movie that seemed to compressed from the first 4 movies as if the filmmakers wanted to mixed them together the very best of Friday the 13th for the remake. Which isn’t a bad idea, even though somebody in the filmmaking crew decided to keep only 1 character from the original series and put him the movie...

If you're thinking Jason...  I'm very sorry to burst your bubble but you are wrong. The only character that is kept from the original series is the brother who is searching for his missing sister (I think he was in part 4).

Jason on the other hand isn’t similar to the pre-death Jason (of part 2, 3 or 4) and he’s not the undead Jason (from part 6 and after)… while the remake seems to take place after part 1 and way, way before part 5, or maybe it’s somewhere during part 3; therefore we should be comparing the remake Jason to the non-undead Jason.

And both Jason’s are quite different, they are like apples and oranges; or even apples and stuff pizza. (Totally different) and to point out that there is something seriously wrong with the remake version of Jason. Seriously, there is something about him that doesn’t seem right.

How?

Jason kidnaps a woman that looks like his mother and chains her in an underground labyrinth? The intent does remains a mystery and more of a mystery when we understand that the woman is locked in the mysterious labyrinth for nearly 2 months (or longer… it’s really hard to follow her soft spoken brother at times). 2 months and the girl seem healthy? She looks well fed and semi clean. [Maybe its me but a girl chained for 2 months need to take a dump at least once… It’s not clean… but this is the magic of Hollywood, I guess… and Hollywood has the right to suspend reality] Or maybe Jason actually cooks food, walks the woman outside to take a dump or Jason actually cleans up her mess.

Note: there is an interesting scene in Mansion of the Living Dead (1982) where a naked girl was chained to the bed; she looked very dirty and very hungry. Not really sexual (unless you are into those types)

Besides the woman’s stay in the underground labyrinth one major question does cross my mind… Why?

Does Jason loves his mother so much that he needs to chain the look-a-like in the labyrinth? Does Jason have a sexual attraction with the woman that looks like his mother? (Although we don’t see this and it's not even suggested but it make you wonder) or the filmmaker thought it would be a good idea to copy the "SAW" rip-offs.

Sadly the whole "labyrinth thing" is reeking SAW...

But what really worries me mostly about the “new” Jason; he has a hint of "panic," as he returns back home and finds a backpack on the ground, Jason nearly runs to the light switch (?) and turns the lights on (WTF? Jason needs light?) Jason then desperately hits a few canoes off the rack to make some noise, assuming his intent was to force the people to come out from hiding.

At this point I've realized that this isn’t the Jason from the original series. (this scene happens partly early into the film)

But Jason shouldn’t worry... he has the area wired with trip lines and tiny bells [like I've said the movie is reeking SAW]

As for the characters. What can I say, you have a typical guy who is taking his friends to his parents cabin and acts like a total ass to them, his friends that careless, rude and happens to break things, the guy also has a typical girlfriend that seems to be annoyed by his attitude and another girl that wants to get into his pants. It seems to me that there is a Hollywood handbook floating around that scriptwriters used to make a movie within a few days.

I really doubt anybody has spent more then 2 weeks writing the script and I don’t even think there was a rewrite. I’m starting to think the intent in rehashing a few original scenes were to make the script faster (maybe add a few pages to the story).

Although I have personal standing against pot I try to be open minded when I see these things; I do think it’s unintelligent how Hollywood portrays pot in the movies. Really… teens in the woods happen to bump into a large stash of weed and act as if they have found “GOD” in the forest.

Maybe it became tiresome for teens to run into poison ivy, but it’s more likely to happen then running into a large stash of weed.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 10:53:08 PM »

I thought Part 1 was overrated and a bit on the slow side. Part 2 was awesome and I think it's the best of the series. Part 3 was good, cheesy fun. Part 4 was very good. I enjoyed Part 5 a lot more than most people. I hated Part 6 when I first saw it. Part 7 was kinda meh. Believe it or not, I really liked Jason Takes Manhattan, don't ask me why. I haven't seen the others and I don't really intend to.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:19 PM »

I really liked Jason Takes Manhattan, don't ask me why.

Probably because Jason knocks that guys block off with a Haymaker.

John Hancock
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »

This is a series I've never given much of a chance, even in childhood. Do any of you have recommendations? I have seen Part 1, 2, Takes Manhattan, Goes to Hell, and I own X (which is stupid, but funny at parts).

I am a Freddy fan, but I will not be biased, I appreciate your responses.
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »

After re-watching the movies, this is my new ranking:

1) Friday the 13th 4.5/5  Cheers Thumbup

2) Friday the 13th part III 4.3/5  Cheers Thumbup

3) The Final Chapter 4.2/5  Cheers Thumbup

4) A New Beginning 4/5  Thumbup Thumbup

5) Friday the 13th part II 3.8/5  Thumbup Thumbup

6) Jason Lives  3.5/5

7) The New Blood 3.2/5

8) Jason Takes Manhattan 3/5
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »

I actually like parts 2 and 6. Part 6 especially because it doesn't take itself very serious and was fairly tongue in cheek.

Jason Takes Manhattan is also watchable for it's ridiculousness. Especially death by guitar and getting your head punched clean off. BounceGiggle

I find all the rest, even the first one,  to be quite dull.

=== ===
           Go Robo!
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

Iv'e actually only viewed the first 3 parts and Freddy vs Jason. But I have the final chapter and Jason Lives on DVD. I just need time to watch them. But my ratings for the ones i have seen is

Part 2 (In my opinion one of the best slashers ever)
Original
Part 3
FvJ (wasted Potential)

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »

I was gung-ho to watch all of them because they were available on Netflix. I only got to watch the first two before they went away.

The first Friday the 13th I don't think is very good. It's mostly boring. Then again, it had this girl, Robbi Morgan, who is cute as a button.

Friday the 13th, Part II was great! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the film. Since this is from the '80s, I have to mention Kirsten Baker, who is one of the prettiest girls to become slasher fodder. (Yes, she was very naked.) Google it if you must. I would.

I really wanted to watch the rest, but not so much I would wait for snail mail to see them.

The remake was not very good. But if we're going to keep in tone from the rest of my post, the presence of Julianna Guill really adds a lot to the movie.

Google it if you must. I know I would.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 09:22:38 AM »

For 'lil 'ol Moi:

Jason Takes Manhattan 10/10

The New Blood 9/10

Jason Lives 8/10

Parts II & III 7/10

Part I & The Final Chapter 6/10

A New Beginning 5/10

Jason Goes To Hell 3/10

Jason X 2/10

Freddy vs Jason & The Remake 0/10

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »

As I said in the Nightmare on Elm Street post, I a big fan of these for the same reasons. I have never seen Jason goes to Hell, but will do. I thinnk the later Friday 13th films are no way near as sinister but again good fun.

WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

I remember seeing Jason 1 and 2 mostly because 1 was slightly original in that the murder is his mother (so this middle aged woman is running around killing these kids with acts of incredible strength) and she is not immortal by any means. Jason 2 was hilarious mostly because of the totally crap costume they had for Jason. This is pre-hockey mask and he wore a pillow case on his head and bib-overalls. I'm sorry even if the guy has a knife and is looking to kill me, if he shows up wearing a pillowcase on his head and bib overalls I'll die of laughter before he gets me.

Jason 3 through (I lost count how many they cranked out) can be reduced to three statements: 1. Jason can't be killed, 2. Stupid teenagers in the woods are easy targets, and 3. it actually gets boring after a while watching this immortal taking out kids, kindof like shooting fish in a barrel.

Jason X slightly memorable because its in space and the hot robot chick, Jason takes manhattan memorable because of the interesting settings/death sequences. Jason v. freddy sucked because the only thing more boring than watching an immortal take out teenagers is watching two immortals fight (and the shock ending that they can't kill eachother, well, duh  Buggedout )

Never seen the remake and based on what I've seen here I don't want to. Jason relying on technology just isn't his style and it's just not the same.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
66Crush
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »

I'm probably the only fan of the remake. Everybody either hates or hasn't seen it. Ok, If your a prude, the sex scene might be a bit much (it just made me jealous of the guy, because the girl is so hot). It's basicly a retelling of the second and third movies with new characters. You do see Jason's mother beheaded at the begining in a recap sequence. Plus, his finding the famous hockey mask is re-imagined. It's really not as bad a movie as people think. In fact it has more in common with the early movies than sequeals 6-12 do! I belive it was never given a good chance. My favorites are the first five. #6- "Jason X" suck! All that supernatural b.s. got on my nerves. "Jason Goes to Hell" is the worst, it not only jumped the shark, it jumped the plane the "Mega Shark" caught! Jason's spirit jumping from body to body, that's so not what the series is about! "Freddie vs. Jason" was much better than I thought it would be. All the supernatatural stuff could be explained away as Freddy's controlling peoples dreams. For that reason I think of it as more of a "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie than a "Friday The 13th" movie. I hope people like the next one better or that they just end it.
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »

I caught the ending of the remake on showtime. It actually reminded me of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Running around in a bunch of underground tunnels try to escape the hulking maniac.

=== ===
           Go Robo!
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »

I know I'm a bit late on this one but I have only just watched Jason Goes to Hell and I really liked it.

There are some terrible bits admittedly, but I liked those too.

There are some great killings awful acting.

It's what I expected really.  Thumbup

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »

Yo Crush, I thought the remake was pretty good too. So count me fan #2. Bahaha!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.