Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:17:49 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Karl Urban is Judge Dredd & he won't be taking off the helmet. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Karl Urban is Judge Dredd & he won't be taking off the helmet.  (Read 3293 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:41 AM »

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17805/karl-urban-is-the-new-judge-dredd-

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »

I'm sooooooooooooooooo excited !!!!!!  TeddyR

I just heard a rumor that he will partnerd with Judge Anderson and will have to travel though the rioting streets of Mega City One !
I. Can't. Wait.

Forget Batman 3, I know what I'm looking forward too !
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:41:22 PM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

I don't know why I never thought about Karl Urban...  Excellent choice.

Glad this is finally getting off the ground.  Dredd deserves a good movie.
Doggett

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »

Back in May, the gestating "Judge Dredd" reboot landed a director in the shape of Paul Greengrass protege Pete Travis. Best known for helming the ludicrous thriller "Vantage Point" (he also directed the excellent docudramas "Omagh" and "Endgame") our main interest in the film still comes courtesy of regular Danny Boyle collaborator Alex Garland who was tapped to write the screenplay.

We received a detailed reader report on the script and here's what you might expect from the forthcoming film.

Firstly, the script -- for better or worse -- earned some comparisons to a couple of fairly big, benchmark action and sci-fi films:

Imagine DIE HARD taking place within the world of BLADE RUNNER; that’s the JUDGE DREDD script offered by Alex Garland. Clocking in at 110 pages, this is not the most complex or plot heavy story. What is offered is a high-octaine, action filled screenplay, that is both hardcore and gritty.
But if the film earns parallels to some big films, the plot sounds fairly generic and video-game level simplistic. It basically sounds like a vertical, amped up version of "16 Blocks":

MEGA CITY ONE is plagued by a new drug, SLO-MO, it slow’s everything down and producers visually stunning images, with time that moves at one percent normal.
Dredd has a rookie shadowing him for the night (CASSANDRA ANDERSON), she has some special abilities that the CHIEF JUDGE thinks could be very useful, however her JUDGE APTITUDE test scored just put her below a pass. It’s up to DREDD to see if she has what it takes to be a Judge and one night to do so.

The pair investigate a multiple homicide in PEACH TREE BLOCK. A place ran and controlled by the MA-MA CLANG. After busting one of Ma-Ma’s henchmen, Ma-Ma takes control and locks the entire place down, she seals the place with concrete shutters -- and no way out. Ma-Ma also tell’s everyone within the block to KILL THE JUDGES, or their families will suffer. Ma-Ma is the ultimate force in Peach Trees, more than the law, so everyone complies. Dredd and Anderson have to survive, holding onto their prisoner and try and escape the block. They begin on the ground floor and work their way up the 200 or so floors.
Our reader report summarizes the script in terms that point to the film being accessible to those who don't know much about the comic franchise, while still keeping a few clever nods in for the small handful of diehards who will be expecting them:

It’s a very action heavy script, with some amazing sequences that will make any Dredd fan happy...this is a gritty film, that plays the world we are in as a realistic future, a very dark, unpleasant crime ridden world as Dredd explains ‘Tweleve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We respond to around six percent’. The famous ‘I am the law’ makes a few appearances.
Even if we're not quite sold on the plot just yet, we are heartened that the film appears to be light on its feet, with the potential to be quite the spectacle:

It never felt too long or too short, It’s just right. The pace is fantastic and if shot well would make for one visually stunning piece upon release.

There is a very cool sequence told from a junkies POV high on SLO-MO, the cool visuals of melting images, vibrant colours and [a] slow raid by Dredd and Anderson will be [something] very cool to see.
The movie has a $50 million budget but there's still no word yet on casting or a production start date. We can't say we're too thrilled by this early report on the film, but it should be noted, a lot can change depending on who comes aboard for the lead and if the script goes out for re-writes or punch-ups. So just take it this as an early indication of the direction the reboot is headed in.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »

I'm starting to be excited about this.  I like Karl Urban and if they keep the tone of the comic that plot can work just fine.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Doggett

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:04:57 AM »

Well, its official.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Default.aspx?TabId=418&articleID=167422&ce2661=1#comment

Smile

judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if they're going to deal with the judges forcibly aborting fetuses if their mandatory prenatal genetic screening indicates the child would have non compliant tendencies if allowed to be born.

Likewise I wonder if we'll see people being threatened with having their children taken away from them for advocating democracy in megacity one.

Somehow I'm guessing those aspects of the comics won't be hyped in the movie.
Doggett

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:32 AM »

Hmm, I wonder if they're going to deal with the judges forcibly aborting fetuses if their mandatory prenatal genetic screening indicates the child would have non compliant tendencies if allowed to be born.

Likewise I wonder if we'll see people being threatened with having their children taken away from them for advocating democracy in megacity one.

Somehow I'm guessing those aspects of the comics won't be hyped in the movie.

This movie isn't made by Hollywood, its a tough film.
But its also low budget and total war stuff would be very expensive becuse it would require lots of mega city locations to be built.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:41:17 AM by Doggett » Logged

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 03:36:23 AM »

Karl Urban is a good choice to play Dredd, and with the news that the helmet won't be coming off this will at least more faithful than the Stallone version. I can already see his grumpy frown in the helmet.

The introduction of the Slo-Mo drug sounds like an excuse to have some gimmicky effects though which of course will be in 3-D.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Karl Urban is Judge Dredd & he won't be taking off the helmet. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.