Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Is Mel Gibson's Career Finished? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Mel Gibson's Career Finished?  (Read 5060 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »

In light of the recent leak of the tapes, has anyone heard them? I heard some of them today and, regardless of how you may feel about them, they are very damaging. His agency had dropped him and nobody seems to want to touch him. Nobody can deny what a high-impact star Mel has been. I'm curious, does anybody think he can save his career? Does anybody think he has gone over the edge and needs help? Just curious what you all think.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »

I do think the man needs help; all of this started when he ditched his wife, his family, and his faith.  Some serious rehab and reconciliation are in order - then, maybe, he can return to film.  Right now, he's just a lost soul.  As a long time admirer of his work, I feel pretty sorry for him.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »

I don't think his career is over. If nobody wants to touch him here he can go to Australia like where he started (what Hopper did when he couldn't work in the US)  BounceGiggle

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »

I'll say yes, and frankly I won't miss him.  Thanks for MAD MAX, Mel.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »

I hope so. It probably isnt though. We are very forgiving of movie "stars". After his drunk anti Semitic rant his career went on. Here he is just degrading his girlfriend....*sarcasm*    Lookingup 

I will never be able to look at him the same way. You dont get his views overnight or due to any kind of illness. He has always been this way and the world finally got to hear it. Sucks to be him.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »

He will go on Oprah, then cry on television, say he's sorry and the world will forgive him.

Thats because the world is full of idiots.  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

MEL is a turd. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:20:46 PM »

He was raised by a hateful bigot.  For most of his career he managed to keep whatever venom is poisoning him on the inside.  I have loved many of his films - GALLIPOLI, MAD MAX, the whole LETHAL WEAPON series, THE PATRIOT, WE WERE SOLDIERS, even his most recent one, the cop revenge flick I reviewed last week whose title escapes me because it's late and I am exhausted.  I may be the only person on this board who truly liked the whacky M. Night Shamalayn alien flick he was in!  And THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was, for me, the most intensely emotional movie experience of my entire life.

I do think Mel Gibson is a tremendously talented actor.  I wish he could exorcise his personal demons.  But I don't want him back on the screen until he gets himself straightened out. As hateful as his rants have been, I don't have it in my heart to hate him.  He's given me far too many good movie memories over the years.

Find healing, Mel!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 01:38:53 AM »

why do people care so much about his personal life? If the guy is a creep he's a creep. I wouldn't let that get in the way of actually liking his movies. His personal business is his personal business and really people have better things to worry about than Mel.  It's amazing how much this crap is on television repeatedly meanwhile the Gulf is drenched in oil, the US economy sucks, and soldiers are dying daily  Bluesad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:45:54 AM by StatCat » Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »

Mel Gibson is clearly a hate-filled individual. The man has an alcohol problem, but alcohol does not create an entirely new persona. Alcohol will bring out the core of an individual that they would rather keep hidden. You can get as drunk as you want, but unless you already hate Jews, you will not start spouting anti-Semitic nonsense after a few drinks.

Really, it's surprising that he was given a free pass after his first arrest.

That being said, hateful as the man is, I think he is a talented filmmaker. I didn't like The Passion, because I think it's a bad and un-nuanced retelling of the story of Christ. I did like Apocalypto, which was made after his first meltdown, when I should have hated him. And I will always love Braveheart. Say what you will, that's a damn fine movie.

Maybe Gibson's career is finished. Maybe not. He hasn't committed any true crimes. Roman Polanski is a child rapist, and I think he should be extradited and sent to prison for life, but he's also a great filmmaker.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:46:41 AM »

Doubtful, but will be some time before you see him in a film again.  I wouldn't mind him gone but have a feeling someone will give him a chance again at some point. 

Ah, the good old days.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 05:08:50 AM »

He will go on Oprah, then cry on television, say he's sorry and the world will forgive him.

Thats because the world is full of idiots.  TeddyR

Ain't that the truth... Lookingup
ChaosTheory

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »

Ah, the path of love is never smooth....
Small | Large
Needless to say, NSFW

All joking aside though, Mel did not become this person overnight.  His father is a monstrous, hate-filled excuse for a human being and it would have been very difficult for some of that to not rub off.  Mel either did a REALLY good job of concealing that side of himself, or else he had people in his life (Robyn and their children being the most likely candidates) who gave him reason to stay more grounded and rein in those worse tendencies, that aren't there anymore.
His rep is pretty well trashed at this point but I think, given some time, Doggett is probably right.  For one thing, he IS a talented filmmaker, and there have been plenty of abusers and racists who have had successful careers in Hollowood. It doesn't help either that the girlfriend doesn't exactly have any moral high ground to stand on, and this is a society that is usually pretty quick to blame the mistress first in "broken home" situations like this anyway. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »

I'd say it will be a long time (if ever) before he's ever in the Superstar Limelight again.  Too bad it isn't the 1960s or 70s . . . he could go to Europe and act in dubbed, low budget horror movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »

Well, he hardly has to act like actors back then did.  Mel Gibson is worth, in dollars anyway, like 900 million.

I think that the tapes may have been tampered with muddies the water enough that it may help his image slightly, and that he was likely being manipulated doesn't hurt.  Mel Gibson is high strung and prone to bouts of anger and rage.  He also has twisted views on a few subjects.  But, eh, none of this is news to me personally, so it has no effect on my opinion of him.  I think it will damage his career some, but he already wasn't doing great anyway - Edge of Darkness didn't do well, and he hadn't acted much in the decade before that.  As a director, his future still looks good.

all of this started when he ditched his wife, his family, and his faith.

Did he really leave his faith behind?  I didn't know that part.  For someone with his background, that might explain a few things.  Oh yeah, and Indiana, I also like Signs.  Not a fave of mine, but I think it was a well-made, well-acted and entertaining suspense thriller.

On a final note, he has one more major role coming out.  The Beaver, where he plays a depressed man who begins to talk through a beaver hand puppet.  Supposed to be a dark comedy, directed by and co-stars Jodie Foster.  Early reviews have been fairly positive, particularly of Mel's performance.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Is Mel Gibson's Career Finished? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.