Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:38:03 PM
714362 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  When Did Nerdiness Become Cool? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: When Did Nerdiness Become Cool?  (Read 7968 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »

Good points so far.  AKA the stuff that a good majority of people on this board would say is over the top nerdiness.  Just wondering though, what is taboo nerdiness in our society still?  Dressing up on the weekend as a Star Wars character and going to a convention?  Spending several nights a week playing D&D?  Any thoughts on this?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »

Nerdiness has been cool for a quite a while now, it's just been slowly sneaking in under the radar.

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36:16 PM »

I'd say it started about the time computers became fairly common.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »

Good points so far.  AKA the stuff that a good majority of people on this board would say is over the top nerdiness.  Just wondering though, what is taboo nerdiness in our society still?  Dressing up on the weekend as a Star Wars character and going to a convention?  Spending several nights a week playing D&D?  Any thoughts on this?
Everyone seems to pick on the guys who go to the Star Wars conventions.  Although, I do see more acceptance of them growing year by year.  Especially with the advent of other conventions for Avatar and Lord of the Rings.  I see more females getting involved too.  Although, the D&D people seem to be the sole group of nerds one can pick on.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »

HEY!  What's wrong with D&D??  Now, LARPing.... that's nerdy!

Umm...unless you are like my neighbours and do it with real medieval weapons and horses and such... Thumbup

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Paquita

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:49 AM »

I thought someone declared nerdiness cool about the time that the band Weezer started becoming popular in the 90s.

I wish I knew hardcore larpers! They're like mythological beings to me.  I keep hearing about them, but I never see them, I'm starting to think they don't really exist.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 08:49:27 AM »

I thought someone declared nerdiness cool about the time that the band Weezer started becoming popular in the 90s.

I wish I knew hardcore larpers! They're like mythological beings to me.  I keep hearing about them, but I never see them, I'm starting to think they don't really exist.

Paquita, if you are still in Chicago, there's a Renaissance Fair in Bristol going on right now. You could meet lots of LARPers there.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »

The hell is LARPing?

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »

The hell is LARPing?

LARPing is where people play in RPG... in real life.  They dress up and go out to somewhere to cast spells, go on quests, or battle monsters in pretend.  Sort of looks like this:

Small | Large

I use to do something similiar, but without the costumes... in 3rd through 5th grade.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Paquita

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

Paquita, if you are still in Chicago, there's a Renaissance Fair in Bristol going on right now. You could meet lots of LARPers there.

Oh, I've been to the Ren Fair, and I'll be going again, as over priced and smelly as it may be.  Those people aren't really LARPers.. they're employees... right?  I guess you couldn't really tell one from another, could you?  I've been told lore of a band of foam weapon fighters that ride horses 'round these parts, and legend has it, if you call them LARPers, they get very angry.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »

The hell is LARPing?

Live
Action
Role
Playing

Paquita's right: don't call my neighbour (the big guy with the BIG horse and the real lance) a LARPer.  Oh my!  Buggedout

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

Nerdiness became cool when guys like Gates, wozniak and Jobs started running Billion dollar corporations, and guys like Speilberg  and Lucas started making  movies with record breaking box office and nerds started obsessing over them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Couchtr26

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »

I think the 'A-Listers' are "encouraged" by the film studio to turn up.
There are some vids where you can tell they really don't want to be there. Its a place where you can promote your film easily, thats why comic-con has become popular.

Its pretty much a giant advert for all the studios to promote their big movies as they tend to be sci-fi, fantasy, horror based. If the A List goes then they get more press.

Well said Doggett.  That is basically what I was going to say when I saw the topic. 

Ah, the good old days.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

The hell is LARPing?

LARPing is where people play in RPG... in real life.  They dress up and go out to somewhere to cast spells, go on quests, or battle monsters in pretend.  Sort of looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

I use to do something similiar, but without the costumes... in 3rd through 5th grade.

Not for nothing but, the hell is this country coming to?  My Lord.  I mean, no offense to anyone who likes that, but that's about the geekiest, nerdiest thing I heard of.  I mean, wow.  I'm not gonna even go there.  I'm gonna just hold my opinions to myself. Lookingup

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »

What I find ironic about the geeky/nerdy heirarchy is that while many nerds/geeks look down on tabletop gamers, they idolize people who make a living creating entertainment that appeals to the subculture. The irony comes from the fact that many of the people who create geeky things partake in tabletop gaming (the people behind Futurama come to mind).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  When Did Nerdiness Become Cool? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.