Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:48 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Prop 8 overturned « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Prop 8 overturned  (Read 37554 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38560562/ns/us_news-life?GT1=43001

"Moral disapproval alone is an improper basis on which to deny rights to gay men and lesbians."

Word.
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:51 PM »

My household was thrilled when we heard the news.  Cheers   A judge with some common sense. Very refreshing.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »

Choke on it, fred phelps!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »

I have no sympathy for Phelps - he's a shameless hatemonger.

But I do not approve of gay marriage, for reasons I gave in a previous thread long ago. To sum it up here:
Words mean things. Since the dawn of time, in every culture, in every nation, marriage has been an arrangement between men and women, exclusively.  Even places like ancient Greece, where homosexuality was widely accepted and carried no social stigma, never referred to homosexual relagionships as marriages.

Consenting adults are free to engage in whatever relationships they wish.  But calling a relationship something it isn't doesn't make it such.

Or, as one farmer I know put it, "You can call a cow a chicken all day long, it still won't lay eggs."

I'll be glad if the 9th Circuit gets overturned on this one, as they are on about 70% of their rulings.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »

I have no sympathy for Phelps - he's a shameless hatemonger.

But I do not approve of gay marriage, for reasons I gave in a previous thread long ago. To sum it up here:
Words mean things. Since the dawn of time, in every culture, in every nation, marriage has been an arrangement between men and women, exclusively.  Even places like ancient Greece, where homosexuality was widely accepted and carried no social stigma, never referred to homosexual relagionships as marriages.

Consenting adults are free to engage in whatever relationships they wish.  But calling a relationship something it isn't doesn't make it such.

Or, as one farmer I know put it, "You can call a cow a chicken all day long, it still won't lay eggs."

I'll be glad if the 9th Circuit gets overturned on this one, as they are on about 70% of their rulings.

Once upon a time blacks weren't allowed to marry whites, and it was seen as just.

The modern discrimination against gays is just the current fallback that prejudice, xenophobia and intolerance have retreated to now that they're no longer allowed to openly express themselves against people based on race as they were a few decades ago.

Someday they'll be beaten even further back.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:20:54 AM »

Since the dawn of time, in every culture, in every nation, marriage has been an arrangement between men and women, exclusively

So, I take it you're OK with polygamy, right?  It's also a time-honored tradition in many, many cultures.  So is infanticide, for that matter.  Separate issues, yes, but I don't think "we've always done it this way" is a solid enough argument for determining civil rights issues. 

As far as the legal basis of the ruling, that I'm not so sure of. 
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »

Actually, the prohibiion on interracial marriage was mostly an American thing.  In many past cultures it had been common.  I think that you can make a strong argument that sexuality is a BEHAVIOR, whereas race is an inborn condition.

As far as polygamy goes, no, I don't favor it here, but in cultures where it is a time-honored tradition and a longstanding institution, then I have no problem with it being allowed in those places.

I think one reason that this issue inflames so many temperaments is that marriage is both a religious and civil institution, and many religions regard homosexual relations as inherently sinful.

As I said, I believe consenting adults are free to do what they want in the eyes of the law.  But changing the fundamental nature of the oldest societal institution in the world to meet the demands of a few activists, against the will of a large majority of the nation's population, is foolish and ill-advised.

I guess your next step will be to call me a bigot or a homophobe.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »

OFkeKKszXTw

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

I have to respectfully disagree, Indy.

Societal standards can change, even if they're older than dirt.  I personally don't think age of a standard is any reason to disallow rights.  If the church doesn't want to marry homosexuals, that's fine because it's their ballgame.  As for the rest of society, I think we should all have what's fair.  Also, I don't see how a marriage between two men isn't a marriage.  I don't think marriage has to do with love, because there have been plenty of loveless marriages between straight people, and they've still been called marriages.  I don't think it has to do with breeding, because infertile straight people can still be married.  Definitions are human ideas, and ideas can change.  That's just my opinion.

But as I said, I still respect your viewpoint. 
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »

Thanks, Joe.  While antiquity and precedent should not be the sole deciding issue, I think it is foolish to completely disregard them - especially on an issue like this where the judge's ruling was clearly against the will of a majority of the people, not just in the state, but nationwide.

I was listening to Mark Davis, my favorite talk radio guy, this morning, and he made some very interesting points on this issue.  I can't begin to make it as eloquent as he did, but his argument boiled down to this:

He said how we feel about the issue is completely irrelevent - or should be - to the court's ruling.  A court must base all its rulings on what the Constitution actually says.  His take was that, according to the 10th Amendment, this is purely a state matter and that the Federal government should have no jurisdiction at all in it.  The invocation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amerndment, in his opinion - and he argued his opinion very persuasively - was irrelevent to this case and baseless.  Each state creates its own marriage and divorce laws, and in this case, he said the will of the state - as expressed by the voters - should be sovereign.

It was a very interesting dissertation from a radio host who doesn't yell at his callers, claim to be smarter than all who disagree with him, or  pull any of the other crazy stunts that make so many talk shows (I'M TALKING TO YOU, MARK LEVIN!!!!!!!!!!) intolerable to listen to.  I wish Mark Davis would get a national show again - he had one for awhile, but he is now purely local here in Dallas Fort Worth , except for when he occasionally guest hosts for Limbaugh.

Frankly, even though I agree with Rush on a number of issues, Mark Davis is 10 times the talk show host he is.

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

He said how we feel about the issue is completely irrelevent - or should be - to the court's ruling.  A court must base all its rulings on what the Constitution actually says.  His take was that, according to the 10th Amendment, this is purely a state matter and that the Federal government should have no jurisdiction at all in it.

I'm still not sure how I feel.  Based on how the fourteenth amendment applies to the tenth, it seems to me it could go either way.  I mean, school systems are also run by the state, but the Equal Protection clause was used to end segregation in it.  In a technical sense, it could be argued defining marriage as between a man and a woman doesn't treat anyone differently than anyone else - after all, gay men CAN marry women.  But, in a more generalized sense, it could be argued differently.  I dunno.  It's a difficult legal matter, from my reading. 

But, constitutional law often is. 
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:01 PM »

The prop 8 supporters are now b-tching that the judge is gay and in a relationship so he should not have been allowed to rule on the matter because he might have a bias.

I wonder if they'd  "mind" if a christian judge had ruled against overturning the ban since he might have a certain bias too...
3mnkids

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:08:24 AM »

The prop 8 supporters are now b-tching that the judge is gay and in a relationship so he should not have been allowed to rule on the matter because he might have a bias.

I wonder if they'd  "mind" if a christian judge had ruled against overturning the ban since he might have a certain bias too...

I wonder if they have a problem with straight judges making decisions on heterosexual issues? Im guessing no, they do not.    Lookingup   How about a single judge making decisions about marriage or a divorcee?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:40 AM »

I don't think that is a truly valid comparison.

3mnkids

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »

I don't think that is a truly valid comparison.

Why?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Prop 8 overturned « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.