Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:47 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drug Prohibition Item « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Drug Prohibition Item  (Read 8570 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »

In my opinion there is no point in Flick and Skull continuing to argue, they have proven they have no common ground and feelings are starting to get hurt.

I suggest both gentlemen discontinue responding to the other.

Just so Skull won't feel left hanging, I understood him to mean the 8th Amendment would prevent full scale coercive brainwashing a la the CLOCKWORK ORANGE picture he posted, not non-coercive rehabilitation.

My personal rule is if I go back and forward for two posts and no progress is being made or common ground is found, give it up as useless.  I also stop debating anytime anyone resorts to an ad hominem attack.  It's an automatic withdrawal for me.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Skull
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »

It wasnt a personal attack... I'm just calling Flick's view insane, which is a common view and a wrong view.

I'm not attacking Flick.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »

It wasnt a personal attack... I'm just calling Flick's view insane, which is a common view and a wrong view.

I'm not attacking Flick.

Surely you can see how if you substitute the word, say, "dumb" for the word "insane" someone might take offense, even if you stress you're attacking their view, not attacking them? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 10:34:16 PM »

I just want to say my lifestyle choice is hardly typical where I live. Aside from the devoutly religious family members I have, I'm the only person I know who does not drink alcohol at all.

In high school, joining the crowd is almost encouraged outright as the correct behaviour (but then I never let anyone else decide what was right or wrong in my eyes) and in said groups, drinking and drug abuse is common especially at teenage house parties and the works. As a teen, I generally avoided these places and gatherings which did make me something of an outcast as well. My love of Sci-Fi, Pro Wrestling and my fascination with space and dinosaurs only added fuel to the fire. When I became an adult, I started to attend some dances but was still awkward until I realized I needed nothing for me to have a good time and I had no vice which would leave me with an hangover or other ill effects. I realized a strong person needs no bottled courage.

That said, I've never thought myself better than anyone else and I do believe people should have the freedom to choose for themselves. Sadly I think too many people are led astray by desire for popularity, acceptance, etc. and end up going down the wrong path. I really think a lot of these choices are made when we are still young, in our formative years, probably a lot during our teenage days.
I'd say most people in their teens do experiment with alcohol/drugs cause friends are.  Not always the case though, definitely not in my case.  I never did it to be accepted amongst others.  I did it slightly out of curiosity, and slightly cause I have an addictive personality, going back to my youth in 4th grade.  I ate a lot of food, getting fatter and fatter.  Then, I went on this extreme health kick, exercising to the point I was unhealthily skinny.  Then from there, I became an adult, and I turned 21, and having never drank before, started going out with friends.  Drinking, then led to pot, and eventually other things.  I think that could be the case in some people's situations.  But it's hard to say without sitting down each and every one of them and find out what went on in each person's mind.

Myself personally, I don't like being the way I am, and struggle to change it every day/week/month.  I sometimes make it long periods (3 months, 6 months), or only a few days. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Skull
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »

I'm not attacking Flick.

Surely you can see how if you substitute the word, say, "dumb" for the word "insane" someone might take offense, even if you stress you're attacking their view, not attacking them?  

wow... I'm not sure what to say... I do agree this is a touchy subject. I think I've expressed my intentions deeply... I do need to commit on Flick's last reply (but I'll only talk about the first half)

I’d removed my last 2 lines from my earlier reply…
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:44:22 PM by Skull » Logged
Skull
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »

I'm going to start looking for a part in the constitution that prohibits the government from offering rehabilitation to convicted criminals, unless you actually thought I was implying that rehabilitation be forced on criminals, in which case you would be right.

Government cannot force a person to change unless they are willing to change on their own.

My understanding is that once one is convicted in a court of law, they no longer have full constitutional rights. From my understanding, and you can point me to the part of the contitution that I'm unaware of, but the 8th amendment protects prisoners from cruel and unusual punishment, and the 5th and 14th provide due process and equal protection. Another right convicted prisoners have is the right of access to the parole process, except when given a sentence of life imprisonment without possibility of parole.

I dont need to you did a good job in pointing them out. Bill of Rights was designed by the founding fathers to guarantee the American citizens that government is working for the people and will never, never control the people. This is why we have the second amendment.

This is why the Healthcare Law is a hot topic... (although another topic)

This implies a correctional committment to rehabilitation or else there would be no parole system. Where in the constitution is it against the law to provide rehabilitation to convicted criminals?

It's not against the law if a prisoner is willing to change but the law does protect the prisoner from government forcing rehabilitation. Therefore prison doesnt rehabilitate criminals, if it did then people would be 'forced' to stay in the prison system until they are actually rehabilitated no matter how long it takes.

Society assumes a prisoner is being rehabilitated because we like to think that the criminals has learned their lesson, "they paid for their debt to society." But we know most criminals didnt learn a damn thing since they are going back into the life of crime.

This is why I said the law was ment to deter crime.

If such a thing exists, I've never seen it, but I'm not claiming to know the constitution forwards and backwards.

I dont know the constitution forward or backwards... I'm only using common sense.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:22:52 AM by Skull » Logged
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »

Let it go, guys.

Let it go.

Lifes too short.

Smile

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Drug Prohibition Item « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.