Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:27 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Pro Wrestlers/Angles You Didn't Like « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro Wrestlers/Angles You Didn't Like  (Read 4550 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: August 08, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »

Which pro wrestling wrestlers and angles did you find yourself absolutely hating?

I recall growing up I couldn't STAND ref turned wrestler "Dangerous" Danny Davis.
Small | Large

I remember my mom yelling at me because I was swearing at him during one of his matches. 

From a few years ago...Scotty Too Hotty and Grandmaster Sexay...
Small | Large

These two clowns I think really made me stop watching wrestling. 

The Paul Bearer illicit affair with Undertaker's mom thus producing Kane angle sucked...
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »

Vince McMahon's Kiss My A$$ Club. I hated this revolting angle wherein McMahon basically humiliated others by either forcing them to kiss his behind or letting them almost literally brownnose him. Of course it was all designed to make you loathe McMahon so you'd really want to see him get his but it was horrible to see wrestlers like Shawn Michaels, Mick Foley and William Regal reduced to this. Even worse was when they did it to Jim Ross.

That said, any angle featuring Jim Ross whether we're talking Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon or the arrival of "Dr. Death" Steve Williams

Any time a man has won a woman's title or vice versa. Be it Harvey Wippleman as Hervina, Jacqueline winning the Cruiserweight title, Chyna winning the Intercontinental title or Oklahoma in WCW, it's just in poor taste.  Same with Hornswoggle, a midget, winning the Cruiserweight title.

Any and all Tuxedo matches be they Hillbilly Jim vs. Mr. Fuji or Howard Finkel vs. Harvey Wippleman.

The Whole "Katie Vick" storyline which featured Triple H pretending to commit necophilia with a mannequin.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »

Side story, my friend absolutely hated Doink the clown.  He hated Dink even more.  He said when he saw them live he tried with all his might to kick Dink through the guardrail but came only a few inches away.  He said he was willing to get kicked out of the event for that chance.  

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »

I hated the mid '90s trend of having wrestlers have characters where they basically had jobs as something other than wrestler, like wrestling was just their side job.  Examples include: Isaac Yankem, DDS (A dentist highlighting as a wrestler), T.L. Hopper (a wrestling plumber), Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz (a baseball player who was wrestling because ball players were on strike), The Goon (a hockey player who now wrestles), etc. 

Kevin Nash- basically, look at this.  Here's a guy, who for whatever reason, is/was fairly popular.  WCW, at the time, was number one, thanks in due part to various things: NWO, Cruiserweights, Goldberg.  Goldberg was the top draw in WCW for a while, and Nash has now become part of the booking committee, and from what I've read, the TOP guy.  He decides that he NEEDS the belt, at any means necessary.  So they decide to not only take the belt off Goldberg, but then a week later, re-form the NWO, and books himself to lose the belt in a sham match where he gets POKED by Hogan, falls down, and drops the belt.  Then they have Goldberg in this silly angle where he's 'stalking' Miss Elizabeth and taking the focus off of what he does best (ie, short five minute matches where he obliterates opponents.)

Not really an "angle", but when promoters give away something for free on tv, when they could use it to sell a pay-per-view.  Example: WCW Nitro, Hogan vs. Goldberg.  Hogan's the World Champ, Goldberg's the hot rookie who's undefeated, going 175-0.  They didn't even need a storyline to sell the pay-per-view.  All they had to announce was the show and people would've bought it.  Instead, they were so focused on beating WWE in the ratings, they gave it away on tv.  Sure, the ratings went up.  But, if on pay-per-view at $35 a pop, they potentially cost themselves MILLIONS of dollars.  WWE has done it too, so I'm not strictly placing this as a WCW thing.

There's more I can think of.  Probably post some tomorrow.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

King Mabel- Circa 1995, I couldn't understand what possessed WWF to take half a babyface tag team (and a half that they jobbed frequently) and make him into the summer's top heel.  They had him win King of the Ring, beat Undertaker by pinfall, and made him #1 contender for the title at Summerslam '95, where he faced Diesel.  Even though I heard it was a good match, it seemed so odd for two guys who were little more than midcarders not long before this to face off for the main strap, especially when one got a sudden, and very quick, push.  Of course, after he lost to Diesel, his push went away. 

Mantaur- Even worse than the occupational gimmicks was any mythology or cryptozoology gimmicks.  WCW had a bunch, but WWF had Mantaur. 

Small | Large

Small | Large

Yeah, his theme was just a bunch of noises.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »

Small | Large

How about Zeus (played by actor Tiny Lister Jr.) moving from lead villain in No Holds Barred to lead villain in the WWF? I thought that whole thing was ridiculous...

Then years later he's back again with an whole host of silly gimmick wrestlers in Kevin Sullivan's Dungeon of Doom as Z-Gangsta to take on Hogan yet again (I'm assuming he's got to be Hogan's buddy in real life).

Small | Large

As lame as the above-mentioned WWF 90s gimmicks were, the WCW ones were equally lame and often incredibly silly. The Earthquake became the Shark? Really? The Shark? Was he supposed to eat his opponents?  Buggedout BounceGiggle

Small | Large

Brutus Beefcake becomes the Butcher becomes the Zodiac becomes the Booty Man...the guy went through more names than practically any other wrestler ever although Big Bossman comes close as the Man, the Boss, The Guardian Angel, Ray Traylor and finally back to his original moniker Big Bubba Rogers yet again and when he returned to the WWF, he was Bossman once more.

Bossman too was involved in some of the absolute worst angles ever...dragging around the Big Show's father's coffin? Abducting and feeding Al Snow's dog Pepper to him. His entire feuds vs. The Mountie and Nailz...

Small | Large

WCW lame gimmicks: P.N. News, El Gigante, Norman the Lunatic, Captain Mike Rotunda, Van Hammer, Z-Gangsta, The Yeti, The Ultimate Solution

Small | Large

More WWF/WWE lame gimmicks: Akeem the African Dream, Giant Gonzales, The Mountie, The Repo Man, Kona Crush, Bastion Booger

Small | Large

Talk about the worst of the worst: How's about David Arquette and Vince Russo having runs with the WCW World title and Vince McMahon winning the WWF and ECW titles??

Small | Large

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »

Bossman too was involved in some of the absolute worst angles ever...dragging around the Big Show's father's coffin? Abducting and feeding Al Snow's dog Pepper to him. His entire feuds vs. The Mountie and Nailz...

Sad part is, I quite loved Bossman's late '90s run of feeding Al Snow Pepper and taking delight in Show's dad's death.  That sounds terrible, doesn't it, admitting I liked a guy who crashed a funeral to drag the coffin around? TeddyR

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:05 AM »

Did someone say Yeti? Yes, I believe Jase did...

Small | Large

So he's a yeti, but also a mummy, but also a rapist, but also... Who the hell came up with this one?
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »

A wrestler loses a loser-leaves town match, or is suspended/fired, but returns under a mask despite it being obvious to everyone it's the same guy. Hence we get the Midnight Rider, The Yellow Dog, Charlie Brown, The Giant Machine, Mr. America etc. etc.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »

Or throwing a mask on someone with darker skin and magically they become another ethnicity.

Put a mask on Savio Vega and now he's Chinese (Kwang).
Put a mask on Rikishi and he's Middle Eastern (The Sultan).

I'm sure there are quite a few more.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »

I recall one Monday Night Raw where Kane and The Undertaker were having a battle of supernatural proportions.  They were magically sending lightning bolts at each other through their dark powers.  Didn't we learn from The Ultimate Warrior puking from Papa Shango's curse?

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »

I recall one Monday Night Raw where Kane and The Undertaker were having a battle of supernatural proportions.  They were magically sending lightning bolts at each other through their dark powers.  Didn't we learn from The Ultimate Warrior puking from Papa Shango's curse?
He didn't have to go out of the way to perform a curse.  He could've just pulled some tape of one of Warrior's matches and showed it to him.  It has the same vomit-enducing effects.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:30 PM »

Small | Large

Talk about gimmicks in poor or bad taste. And did those behind WWF really think us fans to have so poor memory as to forget Tony Atlas. Thankfully Roddy Piper on color commentary blasted this silly, tasteless and well racist gimmick and quickly pointed out it was in fact Atlas. The WWF later tried to repackage Barry Windham under names such as The Widow Maker and The Stalker too.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »

The Legion of Doom: The Road Warriors reunited with their long-lost friend - the ventriloquist dummy - Rocko!  Buggedout Lookingup

LOD 2000 with Sunny - just didn't look right and the whole angle with Hawk as an intoxicated embarassment was well embarrassing as was Droz puking in the ring as new member Puke.  Thumbdown
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:44:32 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Pro Wrestlers/Angles You Didn't Like « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.