Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:08:13 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How do you greet people? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How do you greet people?  (Read 9605 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »

DS, Trev, Trek and Doggett: rest assured; you all made my hug list ages ago.   Smile

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »

I'm a hugger, folks!

Whether you want it or not, you're getting hugged !
Doggett, you'll be happy to know you're on my warm embrace list.  No grabbing my buttocks though.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

Friends And Coworkers
1.) Hey
2.) How you doin (kind of unitentionally Sopranos-ish from what people tell me), Whats Going On or Whats up
Yeh, that's about right; I have a bunch of customized greetings, like a theme song or a nickname, for close friends... I also say "Hey now!" a lot, imitating one friend of mine.  I do enjoy being friendly, helpful and considerate.  But only at the supermarket. 

... Maybe a kiss on the cheek...
Yes, but lots of women turn their lips to me, y'know these older ladies with bright red greezee lipstick...  Bluesad

Family
I'm a hug guy when it comes to my brother and father.   All other folks, inlaws or blood relation, get a handshake usually.  I usually kiss all the ladies.
My brother doesn't care for physical contact, so I grab him and hug him anyway.  Smile  I don't like spreading germs or pawing people, but I'm a hugger. 

People I Don't Know Well
I'm a habitial head nodder in this category.  I'm trying to do the chip up thing but end up doing kind of a half @ssed bow with my head.  I kind of hate when I do it but its a natural reaction
I say hello to everyone I know, even people I don't like; I'm so foolish about not snubbing a person that I'll walk up to some ass I don't like and greet them.  That doesn't mean that I don't avoid people if possible.  However, I can't not say hello to someone I know.  Except that guy with the rug.

StrangersGenerally I'll ignore.  Maybe the head nod.
There are certain people on this board male and female I'd hug if I'd meet.  Then there are some that I wouldn't feel right hugging, they'd probably get a handshake.  How bout you?
C'mere, lemme give you a big smelly man hug.  I might be able to fart if you'd like me to try. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »

C'mere, lemme give you a big smelly man hug.  I might be able to fart if you'd like me to try. 

You too have made the hug list with Doggett...see above rules for buttocks grabbing.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:35:05 AM »

Buggedout BuggedoutTeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »

The two guys I would lay hugs on are Trevor and RC, two people I really would like to meet in person  (you know I really like you if I give you action figures).

Captain Kirk and Mr Spock are currently standing on my bureau in my office, Trek: we'll be moving back to our refurbished building in November (thankfully) and they will be the first inhabitants in my new office.  TeddyR Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »

Usually "Howzitgoin'" or "Howyadoin'". 

When departing, it's "Take it easy."
3mnkids

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »

Usually, hey.  Smile  I will hug my kids and my husband but that's it. When I do get with other family they will hug and I hug too but get it over really quickly. Im not a touchy feeling kinda person. It makes me extremely uncomfortable.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Paquita

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »

Strangers: I usually just smile and stand as far back as possible to avoid the grabby ones and getting into conversations.
Family: Smile and stand as far back as possible to avoid being ordered to do something
Friends: An enthusiastic something, maybe a hug depending on the situation, like if someone recently died, or something great recently happened.
Hubby gets a kiss and a super awesome high-kick to the face/back if I can catch him by surprise.
I've never been a touchy feely person and it makes me really uncomfortable when certain friends or family members that I'm not really close to insist on kisses and awkwardly long hugs.

I would probably hug lots of you guys!  I'm not a hug initiator but I will respond well to one from someone I like.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »

Meeting new people for the first time I usually respond with a "Hi" or "Hello" and stand a short distance away.  Not much of a hand shaker either. 

With family, depends on who it is. My kids will get warm squeezing hugs ... grandkids (will be a total of 6 in September)  warm hugs and kisses for all.  And tickles for the boys  ... and with the girls,  I like to gently stroke their hair.

Hug and kiss for my brother and his family, and the same for my hubby Bill's sisters and their families.

Hubby Bill always gets a kiss and a "Hi honey". 

Old friends I see occasionally get hugs.

No present co-workers at the moment (not working - out on disability). Old co-workers from past jobs I see occasionally (who I was close to) get hugs.  Others a "Hi" and how have you been?

With you guys, I'd be kind of shy ...  BUT  real glad to meet you and maybe give you a hug.   Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 07:21:36 AM »

I've always been an extrovert and meeting new people is fun for me.  My mother told me that I would walk up to anyone when I was a little boy and talk to them.  It was frustrating for her because she had to keep a constant eye on me.

Hosting huge Airsoft events has been great for meeting new people.  There are anywhere from 20-30 new people at every event I host and I make it a point to walk up to each and every one of them.
At each event I always make sure to walk up to a newcomer, extend my hand for them to shake, look them directly in the eyes and say, "Hi!  I'm Ash.  What's your name?" (I also use Ash as my callsign in the world of Airsoft)  It makes them feel at ease because they see that I am an easygoing and friendly guy.  I always make sure to never shake their hands too hard.  My handshakes are always firm.  There's nothing worse than some guy who squeezes your hand in a death grip.

I also talk to random strangers wherever I go.  It doesn't matter who they are or how old they are...I'll strike up a conversation or make small talk with almost anyone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:23:45 AM by Ash » Logged
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

I've always been an extrovert and meeting new people is fun for me.  My mother told me that I would walk up to anyone when I was a little boy and talk to them.  It was frustrating for her because she had to keep a constant eye on me.

BounceGiggle  At Kindergarten age, my son used to walk up to older (say, 8-y-o) blondes and say, "I have a pony".  I have tried to keep an eye on him ever since.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »

I'm kind of a shy and reserved person, and not always a good judge of social situations when I'm in them. I tend not to be too outgoing, especially if I want to make a good impression, which actually leads some people to find me stern and unfriendly, and I've given more than one extrovert the idea that I disliked them. Fortunately, my wife is just the opposite, so she can do the talking and explain me if necessary. I will admit that some of my social interactions are consciously affected, so as to give people the responses they expect.

Formal greetings are a handshake and a "hello" or "hi there."

Informal is usually a nod and "g'day." That would be the Canadian "g'day" as opposed to the Australian "g'day." Slightly different sound. The Canandian version tends to emphasize "day" while the Australian seems to place the emphasis on the "g." The Canadian "g'day" is also generally shorter and more clipped. Think MacKenzie Brothers, rather than Paul Hogan. I also occasionally use the North Woolwich Mennonite "g'day" when talking to old friends. That one is harder to pin down, but much more fun to say. Kind of "gaw-DAY" and more drawn out.

Being slightly OCDish, I don't enjoy shaking hands. I kiss my wife, daughter and dog (on the head), and that's it. Those three are the only kisses I like. Hugs are likewise reserved for family only, and only given gladly to wife, daughter and dog. For anyone else, I'm indulging their need to hug, and they know it. It's become a running joke with some of my more touchy-feely in-laws.

And yet, people who know me well say I'm a kind, caring, sensitive and ethical person. And some of the most despicable people I've encountered were totally charming and at ease socially. I don't put much value on first impressions.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BTM

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »

I'm a hugger, folks!

Whether you want it or not, you're getting hugged !

I used to be that way too, but then the ladies starting threatening sexual harassment, and the men started threatening to beat me up.

(Or was that the other way around?)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BTM

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

BounceGiggle  At Kindergarten age, my son used to walk up to older (say, 8-y-o) blondes and say, "I have a pony".  I have tried to keep an eye on him ever since.   Wink

Just out of curiosity, does your family really have a pony?  Either way, that's an awesome pick up line!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How do you greet people? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.