Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:11:35 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Ground Zero Mosque . . . what do you think? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Ground Zero Mosque . . . what do you think?  (Read 14056 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »

I have followed with some interest the controversy surrounding the building of a large mosque in New York City within about two blocks of the place the World Trade Center once stood.  I understand that the Imam behind this is no radical, despite the efforts of some to paint him as such, and that he has been a promoter of peace and understanding between Islam and the West.
  At the same time, I understand the outrage that many feel.  Even if they do not represent the modern mainstream of Islamic thought, the 9/11 hijackers were radical Muslims seeking to promote the overthrow, not just of the U.S., but of all Western civilization.  For many 9/11 families, this must feel like a slap in the face.
  I am of two minds.  I believe greatly in freedom of religion - although I wish the Islamic countries would practice it - but at the same time, there is something so impolitic about this that it rankles me.  Would it be appropriate to build a German cultural center in the shadow of Auschwitz?  Should the U.S. government - or anyone for that matter - build a monument to the U.S. Army Air Corps within the city limits of Hiroshima?  Surely there are some Muslims who realize that this is just bad P.R. for their faith!
  Anyway, what do you guys think?  I am especially interested in the opinions of New Yorkers.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »

The mosque has been there for over 25 years, they are just expanding. I say, leave them be. They aren't hurting anyone.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

I am of multiple feelings but only of one mind. The Free Exercise and Establishment clauses of the 1st amendment must prevail, despite how my deistic views of religion may make me feel.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:34:09 PM by Flick James » Logged

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »

It's 2 blocks away. they're not hurting anyone, let it be.

Jim H

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

Considering there's already a Mosque even CLOSER to Ground Zero, eh.  I did find it interesting that by opinion poll, virtually the only place where a majority either didn't care or supported it is Manhattan itself.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »

Most people here know that my birthday falls on the 11th September and 9/11/2001 was the most horrible day in my life, next to 16 May 2008 when my Dad passed. I have never had a proper birthday since and do not expect to have one in a month's time.  Bluesad That said, I have always been treated well by members of the Muslim community and when I was in a church youth group, my friends and I were invited to the mosque here in Pretoria, which was quite an experience. The Imam of the mosque even invited the ladies in our group in, welcoming them with the words "Women are our sisters."

I just feel that a mosque anywhere near Ground Zero is defaming the memories of those who died in the Twin Towers and in the planes on that horrible day.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dean

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:35:37 AM »

Would it be appropriate to build a German cultural center in the shadow of Auschwitz?  Should the U.S. government - or anyone for that matter - build a monument to the U.S. Army Air Corps within the city limits of Hiroshima?  Surely there are some Muslims who realize that this is just bad P.R. for their faith!

That reminds me of this article! http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/ground-zero-mosque-defies-logic/story-e6frg6so-1225903138096

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with your point Indy, I should point out your comparison is slightly exaggerated.  Whilst fanatics of a particular faith did cause those horrible acts, it wasn't the religion itself: just hateful people hiding behind an extreme religious ideology.  That is decidedly different to your examples above, in which a specific, and accountable, country brought those horrible acts upon their victims. 

In any case both the US and Germany have repeatedly helped in the reconciliation between the victims of their atrocities, such as helping in the funding of both the Hiroshima Peace Memorial and the Auschwitz Memorial.  Should they stop funding to these important projects because they were the ones who caused it in the first place?

I certainly think that building a mosque on the site of the world trade center would be a completely silly, albeit bold, exercise, but having one nearby is hardly a horror that should be shunned by all.  It is quite a way away and its not like they'll be selling burning Twin Tower t-shirts...  Lookingup  How far away would they need to be for this to be within acceptable bounds?

Considering that New York has the highest percentage islamic population next to California, [a quick search tells me it is sitting at around 16%] it seems likely that there will be more than just a few Mosques in Manhattan.  I do understand some people will have their reservations, but if anything we should be promoting peace and education between western and Islamic cultures rather than the fear and hate that seems to be coming from facets on both sides.  There's sure to be a few bumps along the way, but I am hopeful that if approved it could prove to be a minor starting point in repairing relations between people who have seen almost a decade of hate and conflict.  We are much more likely to beat the hate together than apart.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf of the Cordoba Initiative, which is leading the project, said after Tuesday's vote that the facility "will be a home for all people who are yearning for understanding and healing, peace, collaboration, and interdependence.

"We are more determined than ever to take this opportunity, which we also see as a responsibility to our community and to our neighbors in Lower Manhattan," he added.

Can we really say that this is such a horrible thing?

From: http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-world/mosque-near-ground-zero-clears-one-last-big-hurdle-20100804-11a8p.html

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BTM

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:55:13 AM »

There's two people on the board who've said that there's ALREADY a mosque near the 9-11 site.  I'm not disputing that, I'm just asking though, where did you get that information?  I tried doing a Google search and couldn't find anything backing that up.

Personally, I don't know, I just think it seems a little tasteless, and common sense would seem to tell you that maybe, just maybe it might not be a good idea.  Just seems like they'd be a bit more respectful of the feelings of those who died and say, "Okay, we'll put this up in another spot." 

A bit off topic, but what I want to know is the HELL is it that it's been nearly TEN years and not a damn thing has been built on that site?  What the hell is taking so long with all the damn red tape and government bureaucracy. 

As for what we should be on the site, I personally like Penn and Teller's idea.

(warning clip NSFW)

Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:50 AM »

I think that's a great idea.  They should build a nice big synagogue in downtown Kabul as long as they're at it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »

Yes it might be tasteless to build a mosque so close to ground zero, but there is something in this country called freedom of religion and despite how many people might feel about islam, we have to still accept and allow the followers of the religion to practice it in peace. I personally do not like that they are building this so close to where the towers fell, but its un-constitutional to stop them from building a mosque there. Everyone knows that not all practitioners of islam are fanatics and those that are, are in the minority. There has been nothing to show that building this mosque will pose a danger to the citizens of new york and will likely be heavily watched by homeland security.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:33:36 AM by wyckednick » Logged

Smells like popcorn and shame
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »

Call me a cynic, but I think that some muslims want to build a mosque near the site just hoping and praying to their god it gets burned/bombed/vandalized so they can whine and snivel and have an excuse to go on al jazira with a call to jihad against the infidels who destroyed their temple.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:33:34 AM »

I think Nick and Trevor echo my feelings most closely.  I do not think it should be forbidden, but I do not really think it is a wise idea to build it that close by.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:43:35 AM »

http://www.masjidmanhattan.com/    This mosque has been in its location for over 25 years, four blocks from ground zero.  The new mosque is one block away from this one.  Big deal. I thought they were the same but they aren't. The point is the same .. A mosque has been in the area for years so why the outrage now?

http://wonkette.com/417009/attention-bigots-there-is-already-a-mosque-near-the-wtc-site

Wonkette operative “Evan B.” writes: “The debate over the planned mosque at Ground Zero seems a bit retarded to me; I work directly between the planned mosque and a mosque that has existed before 9/11 and continues to operate to this day. The existing mosque and the proposed mosque are probably 800 feet apart; one city block, let’s say.” This is humorous!

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/21/2010-05-21_untitled__2mosque21m.html

They say the Cordoba House was modeled after the 92nd St. Y, with the benefits of a community center with prayer space.

Another mosque - much smaller than the Cordoba plan - has existed downtown on Warren St. since 1970 and has been operating out of 20 Warren St. since 2008

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »

I'm going to have to echo the thoughts of most people on this thread.  Yes, we have freedom of religion.  Its what this country was built on.  I'm not a religious person.  I was raised as a southern baptist, but I've formed my own views of religion over the years.  I have my own beliefs, my own views and so do the people who follow Islam......

Now that being said....this does feel like a slap in the face.  I understand that there is a mosque close by already and they are hoping to expand with this new proposed mosque.  Just imagine being someone who lives there though.  Imagine driving by the 9/11 site and then just moments later, passing by a mosque.  

If they want to expand, then good for them.  It doesn't change the fact that the persons who caused the 9/11 tragedy did it in the name of Islam.  I know that not all Islamic followers want to blow us up.  I fully realize that.  They need to realize that this is something that still hurts us.  The attack we suffered will be burned into the minds of every single one of us who watched it happen.  They need to understand why we're angry, hurt and why quite a few people disapprove of it.  

If I was someone who had to vote on it, I'd have to vote against it.  Freedom of religion is the freedom to practice what you believe.  They can do that just as well at a location 5 miles from Ground Zero as they can 2 blocks away.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »

well first of all, I love red staters like newt gingrich and pat buchanan weighing in on what is morally acceptable to have in MANHATTAN.  

My dad is not only a New Yokrker but was right outside the towers on 9/11. His wife was in the freaking stairwell of tower two when the second plane hit. I'll ask him what he thinks but my guess is he won't care. New Yorkers are very busy and this will likely just be another building they walk by and don't think one bit about.

further as some guy I follow on twitter put it "why not put a gmosque at gruond zero, haven't we put alot of ground zeros next to mosques?"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:42:10 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Ground Zero Mosque . . . what do you think? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.