Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:06:28 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bug Out Bags (Whats in yours?) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bug Out Bags (Whats in yours?)  (Read 3358 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: August 12, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

So guys, I know I've been away for a while.  One of the things I've started as a hobby in the last year or so, is studying survival skills.  Its a fascinating topic, and one that I figured would be interesting to most on this board, considering how many Post Apocalyptic films we watch each year!

I've been setting up a BOB (Bug Out Bag) for a while now for emergencies.  I live in an area that is highly prone for hurricanes, and you never know just when something like this would be needed.  I figured I would start a thread so we can each talk about what we have set aside "just in case".  Might give each other ideas.

Here is what my emergency gear currently consists of.  Consider that although it may sound extreme, not all of these items will be necessary for every emergency:

1. A large ALICE pack with a frame.  The frame helps distribute the weight of the pack and makes it much easier to carry around. 

2.  Firesteel set.  This one is a necessity.  If I have nothing else, I want this with me.  If you've never used one, it's a ferrocerium rod that can be struck to create sparks.  They work wonderfully, will spark in damp conditions and are a neccessity. 

3.  Wet Fire Tinder - Once again, fire is the big thing.  Fire is the key to any type of survival.  These will light in wet conditions and will burn even while in a puddle of water.  With this and the firesteel, you have the means to keep warm, cook food, etc even in wet conditions. 

4.  Sabercut Saw - So, you have the means to make fire, but you're going to need some wood right?  Preferably some sticks and branches that have fallen and dried, but what are you going to do for shelter?  A sabercut looks like a pair of nunchcuks with a chainsaw blade instead of a chain.  It allows you to manually cut your own wood and fits nicely into a small space.

5.  Folding Shovel - Might sound like a strange addition, but you honestly never know when you'll need it. 

6.  Emergency water filter - I keep both an emergency water filter and water purification tablets in the bag.  Where I live, it's easy to find water.  Drinking it would be difficult without purifying.  I've heard of techniques like leaving a clear bottle of water in direct sunlight for a few hours, but I'd much rather trust a filter.

7. Tent in a bag - Very flimsy, throwaway tent.  Ideally a BOB is only there to sustain you for 72 hours or so.  These tents are an ideal solution for a short time frame.

8.  MREs - I keep a small amount of MREs.  Enough to survive a few days.  If worse came to worse, you go hunting for food.

9.  Benchmade 5000 - Excellent knife for any situation.  They can be pricy, upwards of $300.  Luckily this one was a gift from a friend.  Fantastic knife!

10. Paracord - Rope is one of the most helpful things you can have.  Essential in almost every situation, especially if you have to construct a temporary shelter.

11.  .22lr Marlin Rifle - Not technically "part" of the BOB, but its a staple of survival.  .22lr rounds are cheap and I usually keep apx 1000 rounds around just in case.  I have added a rimfire scope, tactical bi-pod and strap to the gun.  Its basically a varmit gun, one that will take out smaller critters.  But, in a pinch, it could be used to kill deer and such for food.  Its acurate, light, and handy.

12.  Canteen - This one is a given.  How could you not have one?

So, that's my list of current items.  What about you guys?  What do you have stocked away in case of an emergency?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »

Also an ALICE pack.

Duct tape
50' of good rope
100' of parachute cord
Lighter and a firestarter kit
Tinder (cotton wad type)
Water purification tablets
Plastic baggies
Lightweight ponchos
E-tool
Canteens
Aluminum Foil
LED flashlight
FRS radio with weather band capability
MREs
A good first-aid kit with trauma and splinting
Small pry bar
Gerber multitool
Fox 40 whistle
Compass
Thermometer
Sunblock
Insect repellant
Hand sanitizer
Latex gloves
Wire
Pins, needles, thread, safety pins
Rite in the rain notebook and pencils
Pocket chainsaw
Mirror
2 Water (bottles)

I'm missing stuff, but don't have time to grab the kit and look.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »

Whatever that fits inside the handle of my Rambo Knife...  Smile

Although my wife got me "The Zombie Survival Guide"  Buggedout
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »

I've got two flashlights (with relatively new batteries) and a cigarette lighter.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »

I've got two flashlights (with relatively new batteries) and a cigarette lighter.

Oh snap... so both flashlights are destined to go out when you are half-way down the basement stairs or after you look under the hood of your car and you hear a noise from behind... 

I hope you have a zippo...

BounceGiggle
BTM

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »

Pocket chainsaw

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed.  And now I have an inexplicable urge to buy one...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Skull
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

Pocket chainsaw

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed.  And now I have an inexplicable urge to buy one...

Your talking about this?

wow a USB powered chainsaw...  Buggedout
Skull
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »

The I.SAW is a hoax  Hatred
3mnkids

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »

I won one a long time ago and here is what is it in   TeddyR

Food and Water:

24 - Pouches of Datrex Water-
24 - 200 Calorie Food Bars - 5 year shelf-life
Light and Communication:

Am/Fm Radio with Headphones and Batteries
Rechargeable Squeeze Flashlight - contains lithium batteries which last up to 30 hours and also is able to generate power through squeezing
5-in-1 Survival Whistle - compass, signal mirror, flint starter, waterproof container,lanyard and shrill whistle
2 - 12 Hour Emergency Light Sticks last for full 12 hours and are made in the USA
Box of 50 Waterproof Matches

Shelter and Warmth:

2 - Emergency Survival Sleeping Bag - Recommended over common "space blankets"
2 - 16 Hour Body Warmer
1 - 2 Person Tube Tent with Rope
2 - Emergency Poncho with Hood

Tools:

16 Function Knife
Leather Palm Working Gloves
2 - N95 Respirator Dust Mask
50 feet of nylon rope

Hygiene and Sanitation:

2 - Hygiene Kit - Includes soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, and 9 wet wipes
4 -  Pocket Tissue Packs

First Aid:

Comprehensive First Aid Kit good for all types of emergencies

Other:

Deck of playing cards for entertainment
Infectious Waste Bag

It all came in a really nice backpack.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »

wow a USB powered chainsaw...  Buggedout

Could have really used that to do some modifications on my wireless router  BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »

Pocket chainsaw

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed.  And now I have an inexplicable urge to buy one...

Your talking about this?

That's the one.  It works a lot better on wood then a little wire saw (though the wire saw is better for some things).

I have two fixed blade knives that I use for the field.  The first is a Mission MPT, and the other is a Busse Skinny ASH-1.  Both are excellent knives.  The MPT is usually attached to my drop leg pistol sheath, because it is really light.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:01:12 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:12 PM »

A good recurve bow and a healthy supply of arrows, for when the ammo runs out. Plenty of neolithic people killed plenty of game and people with those, so that's good enough for me. Just gotta learn to use one.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

An m60 loaded with 10,000 hollowpoint rounds BRING ON THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE BABY!!

oh wait you meant real disaster survival....uhhh nevermind Smile

Seriously though I do have a few MREs, a heavey duty flashlight, a K-BAR, a hatchet, a small folding shovel and pick and finally a  5 gallon jerry can full of water all stashed away in my car for an emergency. After looking at everybody elses I think mine could stand some improvement.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »

I am the cricket who sings away the summer while the ant prepares for winter.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bug Out Bags (Whats in yours?) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.