Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:22:46 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Expendables (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Expendables (2010)  (Read 8129 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 13, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

So I saw the Expendables at a midnight screening.  Pretty crowded actually.  I hope that's a good sign for the movie's box office, as I'd like a sequel. 

Where to begin?  Well, let's talk about what doesn't work first.  The film has decidedly mixed reviews (looks comparable to Rambo), and I actually agree with many things the negative reviews say.  There is some REALLY clunky dialogue in this film.  And there's a few bits of just bad writing.  But there's other stuff that is either bad in the good way (like Commando, only not that good) or is actually pretty good.  Related, there are a few scenes that have some clunky transitional edits (like the fight with Statham in the basketball court), and just a few strange editing choices throughout.  Basically, the film feels rough around the edges.  And probably would have really benefited from a few reshoots or a longer shooting schedule - I'm betting that time constraints and scheduling problems with so many in-demand actors caused some problems (not to mention Stallone's neck injury, I'm guessing, lead to a strange ending to his fight with Steve Austin). 

Another issue I have: this isn't enough of an ensemble piece.  Too much of it feels like a Statham/Stallone buddy film, who just happen to have a couple kickass buddies (Randy Coutoure and Terry Crews - Jet Li does get a little extra time).

Are these issues quibbles?  No, I felt they actually do detract from the film, but they don't ruin it.  And in fact, as the film gets further along, the flaws kind of smooth out.  They don't disappear (I still feel the editing is a little off in places) but they definitely smooth out.

Now, let's talk about what works. 

There's a lot of comedy in this one that works really well.  And the exaggerated machismo of this one is just great.  The sequence with Bruce Willis, Schwarzenegger and Stallone is brief, but it really brought down the house (to the point the audience reaction actually drowned out a couple lines, particularly the last thing Stallone says about Schwarzenegger).  I especially like how it leaves it open for both characters to have significant roles in a possible sequel.  Even with a few bad lines in the scene, it still worked great.  It was awesome seeing Schwarzenegger in the theatre again, even if for just a couple minutes. 

The acting and comraderie between the Expendables works well, even though there isn't as much of it as I'd liked.  The acting from all of them is actually pretty good (though Jet Li, as always, struggles with the English.  His physical performance is still generally good).  Terry Crews is hilarious - I think practically every line he has is good.  Coutoure is also surprisingly decent. 

Other people...  The woman lead in this seemed kind of weak.  It's kind of funny when you get out-acted by a pro wrestler and a guy from MMA.  Gary Daniels is in this, who I suspect some on this board are familiar with (he's in many awful low budget martial arts films from the early 90s to now).  I suspect his character is the one Jean-Claude Van Damme would have played.  And yeah, he briefly fights Jet Li.  Jet Li and Gary Daniels get in a fight in this movie.  Isn't that enough reason to see it?

Eric Roberts is slimy and entertaining.  Steve Austin is very intimidating.  Dolph is Dolph, and that's a good thing.  Mickey Rourke is...  Weird, but OK.

As I said before, the macho factor in this one is gigantic.  If you like that sort of thing, you'll find this film very entertaining. 

Now, probably the biggest thing to wonder about in this one is the action.  There's a few action scenes, and I have one major complaint - they're too modern.  I'd have liked them to stylistically be a little more like the 80s films this movie is somewhat inspired by. That said, they range a bit in quality.  The stunt work and explosions are fantastic, and a lot of the choreography is very good, but several times the geography of the fight is pretty unclear and the editing is a little too hectic. 

This especially applies to the earlier action scenes.  The climax of the film is better.  And what a climax.  Basically the last half hour of the film is one gigantic action set piece.  Think, sort of, of the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, only there were five of them, they had high explosives, and were the most badass people EVER.  There's just cool moment after awesome moment after even more badass moment, over and over and over.  It's EXTREMELY crowd pleasing stuff, with lots of highly entertaining gore (even if it is often CG).  I really don't want to spoil the ending of this, so I'll just say it has practically everything you could want in a climactic battle (except, maybe, some pathos or emotional catharsis, but hey, this ain't Shakespeare).  Also, I like the demonstration by Stallone of just how fast you can reload a good pistol - something you don't see often enough in film. 

In many ways, the film was an entertaining but highly flawed mercenary action film until the climax.  That one sequence bench presses the film up a couple notches in my book.

8/10.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »

I'm interested in this one for sure.

Basically, the film feels rough around the edges.

Could that be because the spent so much on actor salaries that there wasn't enough left over for production?  BounceGiggle

There's a lot of comedy in this one that works really well.  And the exaggerated machismo of this one is just great.  The sequence with Bruce Willis, Schwarzenegger and Stallone is brief, but it really brought down the house (to the point the audience reaction actually drowned out a couple lines, particularly the last thing Stallone says about Schwarzenegger).

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Eric Roberts is slimy and entertaining.

BounceGiggle I was just commenting on that to my wife last night. I said "you just know Eric Roberts is gonna be a sleezeball."

I expect this is gonna be one to get the extra large popcorn for. Thanks for the review.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »

I just got back from a screening of the film.  In short, I loved it.  I kinda liked that it was just Sly and Statham for most of the film as they are the two actors with the best chops.  They feel like buddies. 

The violence here is extreme and excessive and all around awesome.  People blown in half, decapitations, gun shots, etc etc etc.  It felt like a great throwback to 80s movies.  I was reminded most of Commando and Cobra. 

Don't go in expecting a great script.  Go in expecting everyone to ham it up and have a good time.  I know I sure as hell did.  I want to see it again!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

As long as it's doesn't turn out to be Shoot 'Em Up, I'm in.

3mnkids

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »

The violence here is extreme and excessive and all around awesome.  People blown in half, decapitations, gun shots, etc etc etc.  It felt like a great throwback to 80s movies.  I was reminded most of Commando and Cobra. 

Thumbup   I really want to see it now 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »

Thumbup I read some bad reviews and I don't know what the reviewer was expecting, but the film was just what  I expected.

I did like camaraderie between Stallone and Statham, especially  the digs about Stallone's age.

I would best describe the movie as an overly testosterone fueled orgy  of kick- assery. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »

I would best describe the movie as an overly testosterone fueled orgy  of kick- assery

Now that's an endorsement.

Yay!!!! I just reached 1000 posts!!!! Give me my gold star, teacher.

Pilgermann

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »

Man, I didn't like it.  It wasn't as funny as I'd hoped, much of the cast seemed disinterested (although Dolph Lundgren was great and I wish he'd had more screen time), the blood 'n' gore was phoney CGI stuff (this was originally going to be a PG-13 which would explain that), and the action scenes seemed dull and incoherant to me.  I didn't hate the movie, but it just wasn't the fun experience I expected.  *shrug*

Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »

I saw it on Thursday in Australia and it was overblown b-grade bulls**t 80's action but I couldn't help but think to myself that its just Rambo 5: The Expendables. Its nothing new its just a Rambo movie with action stars from yesteryear.

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:12 PM »

Man, I didn't like it.  It wasn't as funny as I'd hoped, much of the cast seemed disinterested (although Dolph Lundgren was great and I wish he'd had more screen time), the blood 'n' gore was phoney CGI stuff (this was originally going to be a PG-13 which would explain that), and the action scenes seemed dull and incoherant to me.  I didn't hate the movie, but it just wasn't the fun experience I expected.  *shrug*

While I agree I'd have preferred more practical gore (like Rambo, which had a significant amount of it as well as CG gore), I'm willing to cut them some slack considering how much slower practical gore is to shoot and how problematic the film's scheduling was.  Also, considering the dialogue and setups for the gore, while it may have been intended for PG-13 at one point, it definitely wasn't SHOT with that intention. 

It's possible a PG-13 intention early on may have cut down on prep time for physical effects, though.
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »

Amazing film. I've heard they might do a trilogy.

The hostage rescue part was awesome.

John Hancock
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »

I saw it today.  Leave your brain at the door, grab a bag of popcorn, sit back and enjoy violent, loud, macho summer entertainment at its finest.  Worth every penny of the admission price for its sheer absurdity alone!  One of the best "blow s**t up" movies in years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »

This movie is GREAT.  Manly MEN shoot guns and punch one another, stuff blows up, Mickey Roarke shows up for a few minutes to deliver some MANLY philosophy, and even the evil General gets to go out like a real MAN, defending his family and ideals.

There are flaws.  You can tell that some of the actors were only available for a short time.  For example, Statham doesn't interact with any of the other heroes in the big shootout at the end and his part of the action was obviously shot quickly.

The movie appears fragmented.  There's a car chase that comes out of nowhere and goes back just as quickly.  The scenes depicting Statham's personal life serve little purpose.

But, you know what?  I came to see shootouts, brawls, and explosions.  That's what I got and they even threw in a cool car chase I wasn't expecting, so I don't care about a few little flaws.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »

I have to agree that it delivers exaclty what you would expect of it and that alone makes it better than many of the movies I've seen lately. I had a good time, it was just some good, over the top macho man fun. My only gripe would be that I absolutely can not believe that Jet Li would lose a fight to Dolph Lundgren....twice!
  Also, I loved Mickey Rourke smoking that "Gandalf" pipe.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »

My only gripe would be that I absolutely can not believe that Jet Li would lose a fight to Dolph Lundgren....twice!

Why?  Dolph is experienced in full contact karate and boxing, and is a foot taller and probably 80 pounds heavier than Li. 
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Expendables (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.