Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:38:30 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Very Bad Product Placement in Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Very Bad Product Placement in Movies  (Read 6577 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »

Sometimes when you watch a movie, you spot a product placement in the film.  Most often you'll ignore or don't think much of it.  Sometimes, product placement can be very annoying or used completely wrong.  Heck, it could convince us not to get anywhere near the product in general.  So, what do you think are some of the worst product placements you seen in a movie?

Garbage Pail Kids had that Pepsi shout out that made me groan and shake my head in disgust at pepsi.  I don't really remember too well, but I think in Untraceble, OnStar had a big push or something.  In the movie, I think the female lead was stuck in her car when the bad guy took control over it.  Great way to promote your product by telling people it can be hacked.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »

When MST3K did LASERBLAST, there was a long scene with the unappealing hero drinking a coke and a prominent coca cola sign.  The bots comment: "This product placement provided by Pepsi."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

Sea World in Jaws 3D. Nothing says "bring the whole family" like a giant, man-eating shark.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »

One of Bill Cosby's movies . . . I can't remember exactly which one . . . maybe Leonard Part 6 . . . had scenes where Coke cans were aggressively stuck directly in front of the camera.  Very obvious and distracting.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »

In the movie Hells Bloody Devils, the "hero" and the "heroine" eat at Kentucky fried chicken, which is prominently featured at the table and the colonel himself walks into the shot and starts talking to the actors! When I saw this, it blew my freaking mind! Check out the review of this movie by the Cinema Snob, it is a hilarious review And an even funnier scene lol.

http://thecinemasnob.com/2010/07/28/hells-bloody-devils.aspx

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »

I got about halfway through that review for Hell's Bloody Devils and had to stop so that I could go to Netflix and move it to the top of my queue.
 BounceGiggle Thumbup
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »

I got about halfway through that review for Hell's Bloody Devils and had to stop so that I could go to Netflix and move it to the top of my queue.
 BounceGiggle Thumbup

It's a long story, but I have actually purchased (not rented, mind you, but PURCHASED) this DVD 3 times.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »

In the movie Hells Bloody Devils, the "hero" and the "heroine" eat at Kentucky fried chicken, which is prominently featured at the table and the colonel himself walks into the shot and starts talking to the actors! When I saw this, it blew my freaking mind! Check out the review of this movie by the Cinema Snob, it is a hilarious review And an even funnier scene lol.

http://thecinemasnob.com/2010/07/28/hells-bloody-devils.aspx

Also, just about every Herschell Gordon Lewis movie has a scene with people eating Kentucky Fried Chicken . . . often inside a KFC restaurant . . . and sometimes Col. Sanders even shows up and has a few lines of dialogue. 

Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »

In Honey I Shrunk the Kids there is a scene where the little boy, Nick is sneaking a cookie during breakfast. He gets up to go outside and for no apparent reason picks up a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal cookie snaks and places them on top of his breakfast plate. Later they used one of the cookie crumbs to enslave and eventually lure an innocent young ant to its death. Wink

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
ChaosTheory

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

Twilight was pretty bad about splashing Google all over the screen.  And this is kind of general, but ever notice how almost nobody in the movies ever uses PCs?  Always Macs.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:22:32 AM »

I think Blade Trinity sets the bar very high when it comes to being tacky in the realm of product placement.  I kind of threw up in my mouth when Jessica Biel's character is making an I-Pod playlist and Ryan Reynolds is explaining it.  Then theres a point where Blade takes a long look at a cellphone, can't recall the brand though.   Heck, even Count Chocula is thrown in there.

Rock N Roll Nightmare comes to mind when Thor gets up and exclaims to no one he needs a Coke when writing a love song.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BTM

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »

I think Blade Trinity sets the bar very high when it comes to being tacky in the realm of product placement.  I kind of threw up in my mouth when Jessica Biel's character is making an I-Pod playlist and Ryan Reynolds is explaining it.  

That was like number 20 on my list of 100000 Dumb Things About Blade 3.  

Seriously, not only was this gratuitous product placement, it's just freaking stupid!  Yeah, we're going into battle with a bunch of vampires, so, let's listen to music so we can't hear anything.  Always a smart thing to do in a fight.  Just hope no one has to shout a warning at us to duck or something...  Lookingup
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:59:02 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »

I think Blade Trinity sets the bar very high when it comes to being tacky in the realm of product placement.  I kind of threw up in my mouth when Jessica Biel's character is making an I-Pod playlist and Ryan Reynolds is explaining it.  

That was like number 20 on my list of 100000 Dumb Things About Blade 3. 

Seriously, not only has this gratuitous product placement, it's just freaking stupid!  Yeah, we're going into battle with a bunch of vampire, so, let's listen to music so we can't hear anything.  Always a smart thing to do in a fight.  Just hope no one has to shout a warn at us to duck or something...  Lookingup

Thank you somebody else who thought Blade 3 was stupid. Yes Jessica Biel is hot, yes Ryan Reynolds is funny, the movie still didn't make any damn sense.

Some of my favorite bad product placements is in the Transformers movies. In the first one there is a scene where they get on a plane and on the back of a chair it says in big bold letters PS3. Its sort of a subliminal product placement, but I quickly noticed it.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:15:42 AM »

The Recruit was a virtual ad for Dell and Mac computers and SWAT was almost a two hour ad for Dr Pepper.*

* Not that either of those is in any way a bad idea.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »

Well, a good one was in LOONY TOONS, BACK IN ACTION. They just used the Walmart prod place as an out and out gag.
"Did you do this?"
"....the audience expects it. they don't even notice."
Hero glances at camera,embarrissed

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Very Bad Product Placement in Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.