Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:09:50 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Crime Story « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crime Story  (Read 3370 times)
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »

Here is a TV show that was way ahead of its time in the mid-eighties when it was produced, even though it was an early 60's period piece.  If Crime Story had been made today, it would probably be on HBO and have a huge following. I just got done watching the first season on DVD, and it just blows me away that it is so incredibly good.

The DVD box has a quote on the front calling the show "a precursor of the Sopranos," and while I can definitely understand the comparison, the quote really doesn't do this great show enough justice.  I find Crime Story to be edgier in its own way, and at times a lot wackier and over-the-top than the Sopranos. It also has way more style, almost to the level of a good spaghetti western or a Tarantino flick.

Then there's the cars.  Never before or since has there been so many awesome cars in every single episode of a TV show.  If you like late 50's/early 60's cars.  The show is worth watching for that alone.

If you haven't seen Crime Story, I highly recommend it, but I have one warning.  You will most likely get very addicted to the show, and then it ends after only 2 seasons.  It's too bad people werent more into this show when it came out, so it could have lasted longer.

Does anyone else out there like or dislike this TV series?  If so, post your thoughts about it either way.

Small | Large

judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:27:03 PM »

Remember the show, loved it.

BTW, did you like "Homicide: Life on the street"?
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »

I've never watched it.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:54 AM »

I've never watched it.
  You might like it, see if you can find it somewhere on reruns or something.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

I've never watched it.
  You might like it, see if you can find it somewhere on reruns or something.

I've never seen "Crime Story," but I agree that the first season of "Homicide" is great police procedural drama.  The season's only 9 episodes long. The show remained pretty good afterward but never really lived up the promise of the first season IMO.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:13:14 AM »

I remember when I was in the six grade me and my mom used to watch Crime Story all the time. I also loves the theme song by The Late Del Shannon.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

Yeah, the remix of Runaway Del Shannon made for the show I like quite a bit more than the original.  It basically combines what I like about Golden Oldies and 80s pop, my two favorite periods of music.  It's a shame he killed himself right before he could join the Traveling Wilburys.  That would have been awesome.

As far as Crime Story - it's a really good show.  I've been intending to get the DVD for ages.  I didn't originally because it was too expensive.  The current version is a lot cheaper though.  Hmm.

One complaint is they changed the music from the original broadcasts.  I've seen a listing of what was replaced and what they changed it with.  Some of it isn't too bad, but they lost some good stuff with the changeover.  Too bad.

The best way to see the show, therefore, is probably the Japanese laser disc of the first season.  I THINK the Japanese LD and the original low quality VHS releases are the only ones that have the music intact.  But it's expensive and rare - and they never released the second season on LD anyway.

On another note, while googling the disc, I found a comment on a thread from 2007 on this forum talking about that - with me again suggesting the Japanese LDs.   TeddyR

On that random note, Let It Be, Song of the South, Radioactive Dreams, and a number of other LDs brought up in that thread still haven't seen DVD releases.  Night of the Creeps just did though!   Thumbup
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Crime Story « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.