Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:15:48 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies people look at you weird for liking « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Movies people look at you weird for liking  (Read 19284 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 17, 2010, 06:33:31 AM »

Being movie lovers of open minded and varied tastes, means we often get looked at weird for liking movies that most people either just don't get or to B-movieish for most people to like.

I always get made fun of for liking Legend. Mostly when people see that movie they see the unicorns and the hear the Tangerine dream sound track and think the movie is super gay. I don't watch the movie because of unicorns or tangerine dream (actually I watch the directors cut with out the theatrical releases crappy Tangerine Dream soundtrack) I watch it because its got some of the coolest monsters and evil villains I've ever seen. Tim Currys portrayal of the devil is one of the most awesome depictions of the prince of darkness that I've ever seen.

Another is Monsturd. Monsturd is one of those movies you have to be a true lover of B-movies to love.The movie is low budget and indeed bad, but its meant to be like that and uses its low budget and ridiculous story to great effect. It also has the greatest pick up line of all time.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:22:03 AM »

I don't usually get funny looks, because most people haven't seen the movies I like. But I'll go ahead and throw out that I really enjoyed Mom and Dad Save the World, and when I found that Wal-Mart was selling them for $4, I bought a couple of copies to force on people. Now people kind of just won't much talk to me about it.  BounceGiggle

I've got one friend who will watch all the weird stuff I tell him about, and he likes a lot of it. Of course, he's not very discerning: he thought that Meet the Spartans was absolutely hilarious. So I have to be careful when watching the movies he gives me. Is that movie snobbery or what?

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »

he thought that Meet the Spartans was absolutely hilarious.

The only part in that film that I found funny was the Yo Mama fight with Sean Maguire saying "Yo Mama so hairy, the only language she understands is Wookie!"  BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:47:51 AM »

A few years ago we used to have "Cinema Lunch" at my office.  Someone would bring in a DVD and we'd play it on a laptop and project the movie onto a white board in the conference room.  Everyone would bring in their lunch and we would watch half the movie one day and the other half the next day.  Of course, I would bring in most of the movies . . .

One day I brought in BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA.  My co-workers could not believe it was a real movie . . . and could not believe I owned it.

Others that left everyone in disbelief were TEENAGE CAVEMAN with Robert Vaughn and THE VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »

Hudson Hawk. That's the most mainstream movie that most of the people I know have heard of although admitting to liking Shoot-em Up has gotten not just weird looks but a couple of angry ones.

I actually like Bela Lugosi meets a Brooklyn Gorilla. I don't try and figure out why, I'm probably better off not knowing,  I just go with it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pilgermann

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »

Some people've found it strange that Babe: Pig in the City is one of my favorite films.  I think it's brilliant!

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »

Some people've found it strange that Babe: Pig in the City is one of my favorite films.  I think it's brilliant!

Not a huge favorite of mine, but I certainly can appreciate it's weird setting and dreamlike quality. It has more in common with the films of Jeunet and Caro than the original Babe. Very enjoyable.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »

When I picked up the following, I received kind of strange looks from the female cashier:

This Island Earth - I think it was the back cover featuring the Metaluna Mutant trying to make off with Faith Domergue. BounceGiggle

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »

"Paint your wagon."
Russ Thorn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »

"Electric Grandmother" has given me a few odd looks..
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »

"Bubba Ho-Tep." I think the weird looks come mostly from my attempts to both explain the plot and the fact that there actually is some depth and touching moments in that movie.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:35 PM »

I don't usually get funny looks, because most people haven't seen the movies I like.

That's my answer, though I'll add they haven't even heard of the movies I like.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »

Mean Girls (2004).

People always groan when spotting the DVD in my collection. I think it's a fun, entertaining movie  Smile
dean

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »

All of them... But the ones that live on, so far, in infamy is Galactic Gigolo and The Forbidden Zone, both of which may cause my friend's brains to implode...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
JesusFightsNaked
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »

I got alot of good reactions with Howling 2.  Especially during the werewolf threesome/orgy scenes and the knife throwing dwarf.  I get good reactions with any Reb Brown movie actually.

But the movies that get the biggest reactions are Cool as Ice, Invasion From Inner Earth, Troll 2, Ghoulies and that 1986 van damme karate movie "No Retreat, No Surrender".  I gave everybody a copy of NRNS for Christmas one year and they just shook their heads when I handed it to them.   TeddyR
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies people look at you weird for liking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.