Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:53:30 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fire and Ice (1983) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fire and Ice (1983)  (Read 3499 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 17, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »

I've never been a Ralph Bakshi fan. His overuse of rotoscoping is distracting and makes for some really lazy and lame attempts at animation.
This being said, I actually really liked this film. Its a huge step above Wizards and The lord of the rings and if he had taken the same amount of time on his other films as he did with this one I would have been a big fan of his. I know he used rotoscoping in this film, but it is a huge step above his past efforts. The movie is fully animated and doesn't use grainy polarized film footage of real actors to fill in spots that he was to lazy to animate, like in past movies. For the most part the animation is smooth, especially human characters, but it does get rather jerky and basic with some of background and animal animations. The story is a basic save the princess kill the evil sorcerer plot, but it work very well because its kept simple and has great action that moves the movie along with out it slowing down to much.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »

I liked it. It was just good old fashioned sword and sorcery fun.  I wouldn't have minded if he had pumped out a few more like it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »

I love this film, seen it many many times. At a comic convention in 1986 I got to see it in a theater setting with Bakshi there so that was cool. The rotoscoping here is more like that in Heavy Metal and it is not rushed or distracting, in fact one of the scenes the abduction of Tigra is done in slo-mo and is particularly effective. This film exhibited I think the full potential of that much maligned technique, and one that I might add would be resurrected in later films such as Waking Life using computers instead of physical animation and hailed as "innovative" Lookingup

While many detractors have commented on the rather basic plot it was written by Gerry Conway and Roy Thomas who wrote most of the '70s Conan the Barbarian, and Savage Sword of Conan comics for Marvel so it had a long pedigree in fantasy. It is certainly a more adult oriented fantasy film, but one that is not gratuitous considering who the director was. One thing hinted at but never elaborated on is that Darkwolf is Necron's father, the scene where this is revealed hit the cutting room floor.

The pairing of Bakshi and Frazetta was something special, and even James Gurney (Dinotopia), and Thomas Kinkade (the Painter of Light) were background painters on this. I talked to James Gurney once and he told me that when Frazetta would visit the studio all he wanted to talk about with the animators was hot dogs and baseball  TeddyR

Robert Rodriguez is a huge fan apparently and is set to make a live action version which Frazetta himself wanted to do. 

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

I may have to check it out. I like Sword and Sorcery, and I like animation, but Lord of the Rings and (vomit) American Pop made me write off Mr. Bakshi. I'll take it under advisement that Fire and Ice is more than just one cut above the aforementioned films.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »

I saw this in the theater, and like everyone so far, I liked it. My only regret was that Bakshi and Frazetta were never able to team up to make another film together.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »

I like this film and found the rotoscoping to be incredible well done and that it added to the movie.  Really gave life to some of the characters.  Collaberations like this can really show what happens when creative minds work together in sync.

I really hope the proposed live action never comes to pass.  It would lose so much of what makes the movie enjoyable.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »

I may have to check it out. I like Sword and Sorcery, and I like animation, but Lord of the Rings and (vomit) American Pop made me write off Mr. Bakshi. I'll take it under advisement that Fire and Ice is more than just one cut above the aforementioned films.

It's definitely several steps above Bakshi's other films.  The rotoscoping itself is better done, but more importantly, the live action footage is of higher quality.  It's well-paced and has quite good action scenes.  Definitely worth a watch.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fire and Ice (1983) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.