Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:55 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coraline (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coraline (2009)  (Read 2232 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: August 17, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

After being here for officially 2 years now and finally hitting 3,000 posts on the site, I wanted to start discussion on one of the best movie I've seen, Coraline.

Coraline is about a young girl, voiced by Dakota Fanning, who moves into the Pearl Apartments with her parents.  Since she moved away from her friends to another state and since her parents don't give her the time of day, she is miserable with her current situation.  Then one night, she finds herself entering through a small door into a place that is like her world, but is yet different.  There she meets her Other Mother and her Other Father, her improved and better parents as they call themselves.  In this world she has the time her life and loves it a lot.  When she sleeps though, she winds back up in her original home, but longing to go back.  Is this new world she discovered a dream come true that'll make her happy or a nightmare that'll trap her there forever.

This is a stop motion animated film and holy crap, is it awesome.  I heard this film took over 5 years to make because of this and I can defenitely see that in the final product in this film.  The animation of the world, the minor facial expressions, the detail give to every single thing, and so much more make this a blast to watch.  I heard this was in 3-D and dammit, I wish I could it in that.

While this is a feast for the eyes, your ears will love it as well.  A great voice cast all the way with the Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Keith David, and everyone else bringing their A game to this film.  I say Teri Hatcher was the best in this, but I can't say why because I would spoil to much.  The soundtrack is another shining force here with some good haunting tracks for the scenes that just make the atmosphere in everything even better.  Though I did notice a few problems where some sound effects or people talking either started to early or too late for when a specific thing happened on the screen.  Kind of distracting sadly.

All in all, this is a great movie and probably just ended up in my top 25 favorites.  How about you guys?  What did you think of it?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »

I really liked it. Its cute and creepy.    TeddyR    I love the song the "dad" sings to Coraline.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »

It's very good.  I gave it 4/5 stars. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:07:53 AM »

Great film and a real beauty to watch on Blu-ray. The 3D on the Blu-ray worked perfectly fine for me as well.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »

Amazing little film.  This film came out on Blu Ray the day I bought my blu ray player.  My daughter and I were both smitten by the film.  Its creepy, its gorgeous and all around stunning.  One of the best children's films in a long time

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »

I read that the film is lighter than the book it's based upon (I do not know.)  I have a French release of the film that offers 3D and 2D, including the glasses for two to watch.  I have to say, though not perfect, I found CORALINE much better than it should have been.   Wink Smile Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »

I've seen the movie but have yet to read the book that it's based on. I enjoyed it though I did think that it was just a tiny bit overhyped by critics.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coraline (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.