Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:31 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Haunted Mansion (2003) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Haunted Mansion (2003)  (Read 3387 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: August 27, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »

I cannot say that I'm surprised by the backlashed this movie has, mostly putting the blame for this movie being bad on Eddie Murphy's back, some plot holes (What caused that curse again anyways?) and I could agree that the movie could have been better if they didn't focus more on him.  However, I still believe this movie still has a lot of good and great things about it that people seem to forget in the grand scheme of things, which is why I consider it still a good movie.

First of all, the score for the film is just awesome.  Have a listen:

Small | Large

Special effects were pretty decent as well.  The CGI was a bit average admittedly, but I'll be damned if those zombies and skeletons didn't look awesome.  While the story with Eddie Murphy can be complained about, I think the backstory of the mansion and of William Gracey was very good and should have been explored more.  I also think the acting performances were good (Your mileagy may vary on Eddie, but the daughter was pretty bad) and I think Nathaniel Parker was the best of out everyone.

If you seen the movie, what are your thoughts about it?  I recently thought this movie when I remember that it was going to be remade so I wanted to hear people's thoughts on the original.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »

My ex loved this movie. It was OK, but its more of a kids movie.

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

Another HAUNTED MANSION coming?

It was announced on July 22, 2010, at San Diego Comic-Con International that a new film based on Disney's Haunted Mansion was in development with Guillermo del Toro writing and producing. Del Toro saw the 2003 film with his daughters; when asked about his involvement in the new project, he said, "the thing I want to do is remake it. "Elaborating, he commented, "The movie I see in my head of 'Haunted Mansion' is not, I believe, what everyone is imagining it to be. It's not just a regular world with a haunted mansion plopped in the middle. I really am thinking of a movie that has a heightened reality." Del Toro said that Hatbox Ghost would be the main haunting and added, "We are not making it a comedy. We are making it scary and fun at the same time, but the scary will be scary." It is to be filmed in live-action 3D.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:11 AM »

I never saw it. I grew up loving the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland. However, seeing post-funny Eddie Murphy in the promos pretty much clinched me leaving it alone. I don't doubt it has it's moments. Maybe it will make it into my Netfilx queue someday.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »

I've always been curious about this movie because I love the ride at Disney, but I could never bring myself to watch it, what with Eddie Murphy looking to be in full Pluto Nash mode. Maybe I'll give it a look see though.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »

Unlike alot of people I enjoyed it, when I saw it in the theater. The moment when the zombies came out of the wall, or wherever they came from, and started attacking Eddie Murphy, was one of the great scary moments in film for me.

I might add, that while I'm normally against remakes, I'm somewhat looking forward to the remake by Guillermo del Toro. He's got a good rep, and it'll be interesting to see what he does with the idea.

I might also add, this is not the only film to be based upon a Disney theme park attraction. There's "Pirates of the Caribbean," of course. The fourth film in that series coming out next year in 2011. There was a film based upon "Country Bears Jamboree." And the idea for a film based on "The Jungle Cruise" has been kicking around for along time, and we may get something finally in 2012.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »

I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, just an instantly forgettable one.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »

I liked the movie.  I thought some of the parts were dorky but it is a Disney movie.  I like the ride with Disney World.  I liked how Disney incorporated a lot of the ride into the movie.  I would like to own this one.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »

First of all, the score for the film is just awesome.  Have a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6B--gbwuI

You know, listening to this reminds me of something I realized some time ago: musically, the original ride is quite unusual and sophisticated. You first hear several variations of the main song (including the dirge-like one featured in that clip and the waltz in the ballroom) before you actually hear the song in the graveyard.

Kind of cool getting the variations before the theme.  Smile

If you're a music and/or Haunted Mansion geek you might enjoy these original recording sessions of the ballroom music by silent movie organist Gaylord Carter:

Small | Large

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:36:20 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Haunted Mansion (2003) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.