Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:51:27 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things I learned on my trip to Honolulu « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Things I learned on my trip to Honolulu  (Read 2637 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »

-Nothing sucks worse than a five-and-a-half hour flight next to someone with rank body odor
-$6 steak dinner for two = timeshare meeting (thankfully, I didn't learn this the hard way)
-Cameras were invented as a means of extorting money from tourists
-There are a ton of pigeons on Oahu, and all of them want your bar food
-Vienna sausages are a huge selling item in Hawaii
-There is a more ubiquitous presence in Waikiki than Starbucks in Seattle: its name is ABC
-Jimmy Buffet's restaurants and gift shops are extremely expensive
-Turtles are the only animals that can make sex look boring
-Coconut M&M's are awesome
-Maui Sweet Onion Rings > Funions
-The natural predator of the swimmer is the jagged rock
-Hawaiian sunburns can stop traffic
-Everyone in the world thinks Washington state is perpetually shrouded in rain clouds
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:41:58 PM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »

My wife and I were there about 5 years ago . . . I remember those ABC stores . . . there seemed to be one on every corner.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Skull
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »

I have mixed feelings about Hawaii (I've never been there)

Magnum, P.I. makes Hawaii look very expensive and Dog the Bounty Hunter makes it look like a ghetto...
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »

-Jimmy Buffet's restaurants and gift shops are extremely expensive

I found this one out recently at the Margaritaville in Myrtle Beach SC.  I ordered a Blue Moon in the bottle and a shot of Jameson whiskey.  Price for a single bottle of beer and a shot?

$13.75

I'm staying far away from the places now.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

I have mixed feelings about Hawaii (I've never been there)

Magnum, P.I. makes Hawaii look very expensive and Dog the Bounty Hunter makes it look like a ghetto...

Funny you should say that.  When we were in the bus driving from the Honolulu airport to Waikiki Beach, I was really disappointed.  Downtown Honolulu looks like any downtown city in the U.S.  But when we got to the beach area everything changed . . . really beautiful.  We took a bus tour of the island and some of the residential areas were not very desirable.  It seemed like everyone had old tires, toys, bicycles, broken washing machines, and other junk in their yards.  The beach area and a few other select locations are what they usually show you on postcards, travel documentaries, and movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:41:58 AM »

I just got back from a trip to Hawaii, my brother lives in Honolulu.

Beautiful place, but I would rather spend my time on any of the other islands. Get off Oahu, and you have a perfectly wonderful place to spend a vacation.

That being said, I spent a lot of time around Waikiki. I'm surprised you didn't mention the prostitutes. I didn't introduce myself to any of them, but I got to recognize the ones walking around night after night.

My advice, if you ever get to go to Hawaii, get off Oahu and spend your time in the great outdoors of the other islands. An amazing place.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:20 AM »

My advice, if you ever get to go to Hawaii, get off Oahu and spend your time in the great outdoors of the other islands. An amazing place.

I agree.  As beautiful as it is, Waikiki is very touristy and commercialized . . . a shopping Mecca with every "name" store you can think of.  My wife and I spent 8 days there and I think we would have been better off spending 4 days there and 4 days on another island.  If we ever go back, I think we will split our time between Maui and possibly "the Big Island."

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »

I was there a number of years ago, and I had a great visit.

If you want your workout for the day, then climb to the top of Diamond Head using the stairs. I don't think my legs ever hurt so much. I don't think I've ever heard my heart beating faster. And I know I've never ever breathed harder than after my climb to the top of Diamond Head.

And the most important word in Hawaii. Spam. Not the "Monty Python" sketch. Not the junk you get on the world wide web. But the stuff that comes in a can. In Hawaii, it's "What's for dinner." More Spam is eaten in Hawaii, than anyother state in the U.S.

Hawaii was my 49th state to vist. With my cruise next year to Alaska, I'll finally have visited all 50 of the states.
BTM

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »

I've always wanted to visit some place tropical.  I've got a tropical beach scene as my desktop pic, and I look at places like that and think, "Someday, I'm gonna go there." 

I don't know why, but something about the white sand, blue skies, the ocean... just speaks to me.

Course, right now, I can't really afford to travel to.. well, anywhere really.

Bluesad

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »

Tropical island locations are very surreal. I've never been to Hawaii, but I've been to St. Thomas, and from what I can see, pretty much every tropical island paradise is essentially a depressed country with nice weather, so it's become a tourist place. Most tropical islands have little worth beyond tourism. They are generally don't have high resources, and are usually limited to a narrow agricultural set. That's not meant all the time, of course, as Hawaii has had a significant coffee industry for some time. But overall, if you visit a tropical island anywhere in the world, there's bound to be some level of economic depression and at least one ghetto. Why? Because the rich companies that run the resorts and tourist companies hire the locals for next to nothing, and that's who occupies the ghettos. In St. Thomas I saw a rather "Marley-esque" looking man with a young boy on the beach, trying to enjoy a beautiful day, surrounded by silly tourists who were probably ruining that day for him. I can only imagine how locals of tropical islands feel about what has happened to their island.

Just food for thought. I enjoyed St. Thomas and thought it was a beautiful island. I just think the term "island paradise" is a dubious one.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »

One thing I remember VIVIDLY about Waikiki was having breakfast at the CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE restaurant.  They had a breakfast called a Loco-Moco.  It was a burger with a fried egg on top smothered in brown gravy.  If I remember correctly it was served on a bed of white rice.  Nice breakfast, huh?  No wonder I had a heart attack a few years later.  For lunch you could get burgers with pineapple slices on them.  Also good for promoting heart disease.  But I guess the pineapple offset the burger . . .

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »

-Coconut M&M's are awesome
I hope you brought me back some! TeddyR BounceGiggle

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things I learned on my trip to Honolulu « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.