Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:35:24 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Navy Accomodations « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Navy Accomodations  (Read 7897 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »

I brought up Navy shipboard bedding in another topic, but didn't want to go off topic on that one. Just wanted to share. If you ever consider joining the Navy, be warned that you are going to be spending your nights in one of these for six months at a time:

Commonly referred to as "coffin racks." I don't regret my six years of service in the slightest, some of my greatest experiences and greatest friends. However, I sure don't miss sleeping in those things. Sheesh.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »

Interesting, during my 4 year stint I never once set foot on a Naval vessel.  I was in an outfit which only had seven duty stations, all shore based.

I did however spend a year on Adak in the Aleutians and two years in Bonnie Scotland. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »

Hmmm, I've been thinking about joining the Navy over the past few months or so.  My friend was in for 4 years, and last summer as his time was just about to end, elected to do 2 years of reserve duty.  Never mentioned these things.

But did say it was the best 4 years of his life, getting to be stationed in Chicago, Australia, Italy, Japan, and some other parts of the world.  Just went on a month trip to Florida as part of his reserve duty.  Although, he was informed that he's being shipped to Iraq for ten months to a year. Bluesad

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »

I was in from 82 to 86 and slept in one of those bunks for three years.  They are surprisingly comfortable if you are not claustrophobic.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »

Hmmm, I've been thinking about joining the Navy over the past few months or so.  My friend was in for 4 years, and last summer as his time was just about to end, elected to do 2 years of reserve duty.  Never mentioned these things.

But did say it was the best 4 years of his life, getting to be stationed in Chicago, Australia, Italy, Japan, and some other parts of the world.  Just went on a month trip to Florida as part of his reserve duty.  Although, he was informed that he's being shipped to Iraq for ten months to a year. Bluesad

Yeah, being in a perpetual state of war tends to do that. In any case, I believe wholeheartedly that compulsory military service is against the spirit of a free society. If you choose to join, take the commitment seriously. There will be tough times, as in any branch of the military, but at the same time you form bonds with your fellow servicemembers that is unlike other relationships. If any of my old Navy buddies showed up on my doorstep needing help, there would be no hesitation.

Here's a tip for you if you do join: if you can manage to locate a top rack, grab it. The top rack has a number of advantages:

1. The top racks are open. No rack right above your face.

2. You don't have to worry about some drunken sailor after a night of liberty accidently sticking his foot through your curtain in his off-balance attempt to crawl to his rack above you.

3. You don't have to worry about that same sailor who is unable to make it out of his rack before vomiting over the side (note: that kind of thing rarely happens, and, thankfully, it never happened to me).

Overall, indiana is right, they're not that bad, and they're not uncomfortable. I never had a sore back the entire time I lived on board ship. Just more proof that firmness is better for your back.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »

My brother is a career navy man. He's 6' 4" and over 250 pounds, and spent quite a few years working as an engineer on 1950s-vintage Canadian destroyers. I got a tour of one back in the 80s. Don't know how he could stand it. Not just the bunks, but the low ceilings, cramped spaces, tiny hatches and assorted stuff to hit your head on. The boiler room was doubly fun, adding stifling heat to all of that. Mind you, I was pretty impressed with how quickly and easily he moved about under the circumstances. I suppose you can get used to anything.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »

Yeah, being in a perpetual state of war tends to do that. In any case, I believe wholeheartedly that compulsory military service is against the spirit of a free society. If you choose to join, take the commitment seriously. There will be tough times, as in any branch of the military, but at the same time you form bonds with your fellow servicemembers that is unlike other relationships. If any of my old Navy buddies showed up on my doorstep needing help, there would be no hesitation.

Here's a tip for you if you do join: if you can manage to locate a top rack, grab it. The top rack has a number of advantages:

1. The top racks are open. No rack right above your face.

2. You don't have to worry about some drunken sailor after a night of liberty accidently sticking his foot through your curtain in his off-balance attempt to crawl to his rack above you.

3. You don't have to worry about that same sailor who is unable to make it out of his rack before vomiting over the side (note: that kind of thing rarely happens, and, thankfully, it never happened to me).

Overall, indiana is right, they're not that bad, and they're not uncomfortable. I never had a sore back the entire time I lived on board ship. Just more proof that firmness is better for your back.

I'd take it very seriously, actually.  I like to have fun, but when it comes to any sort of military personel, I have the utmost respect (for the most part, but that's a long story) for most anything they do.  Takes a lot of will to do the whole thing.  After I graduated high school, it was right around 9/11.  Almost joined the Marines.  Met with recruiters, took some preliminary tests, scored very highly in areas (dunno what tests they were, kinda like IQ style tests and whatnot), but for one reason or another, I never did join.  I kinda regret it now, but for some reason the Navy looks like something I'd be interested in. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Navy Accomodations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.