Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:06:23 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Scott Pilgrim Vs The World [2010] « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World [2010]  (Read 3214 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 31, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World Directed by Edgar Wright.

Edgar Wright, godly British director of classic films Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead returns with another epic film of epic epic-ness.

First up this is a hot contender for my favourite movie of the year.  They be fighting words indeed.

Wright decides that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost deserves a break, and as such casts indie it-kid Michael Cera in the role of Scott Pilgrim, band member and heart-breaker.

View the trailer here to get the basic idea:

Small | Large

You watched it?  Great!  The plot centres around Scott's pursuit of Ramona Flowers, the girl of his dreams.  But as their relationship starts to take off he discovers that he is to fight her 7 evil exes, all in mind-blowing video game style battles.

The film essentially is littered with video game references and crazy edits and effects that Wright is somewhat known for.  An unusual visual style permeates the film that is incredibly appealing to me and really hails to the potential digital cinema has for making some visually engaging pieces.  Along for the ride is Scott's 17 year old 'sort of' girlfriend Knives Chau, who he has to somewhat dodge in his pursuit of Ramona, his band members who both hate him and love him at the same time, and his housemate Wallace, via an excellent job by Keiran Culkin.

This is very much a Gen X/Gen Y film though I'm sure others will appreciate it as well [it helps having a healthy appreciation for video games in general]  From the start we are littered with video game references [an excellent 8-bit version of the Universal logo being the first thing we see] and the film style very much shoots by at a relatively fast pace [we Gen Yers being somewhat known for our limited attention sp...]

Casting was great and in particular Keiran Culkin and Ellen Wong [Knives] pull in great supporting roles.  Being a big fan of Michael Cera from his Arrested Development days, I got exactly what I expected: more of the same, but in this film in particular his awkwardness works in spades.  Combined with plenty of action, Cera forms somewhat of an Anti-action hero: he can kick ass, but boy does he make it look painfully awkward.  I'm fairly sure this is also the first film I've seen where being Vegan is legitimately used as a super power.

This film succeeds in almost every area: The humour is right up my alley, the visuals are so darn pretty to look at and the music is alot of fun too.  Did I mention the visuals?  They are the standout piece here: watch it just to have your brain explode from all the bright colours.  The only real weakness of the film is the relationship between Ramona and Scott in which they seem to have not too much chemistry.  Whether that was an actor problem or a scripting problem, I can't tell, but, much like Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl in Knocked Up, I struggled at times to believe in their relationship too much.  Luckily Wright's fast paced editing style generally pushes the story forward before you can dwell on that point for too long.

Great cameos from Chris Evan and Jason Schwartzmen as two of the seven exes in particular, and did I mention the visuals?  For those who aren't a fan of Cera's or that style of humour, it may be a bit of a bore, but to everyone else it should be a fun ride.

A must-see that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near as much interest as it deserves.  Destined to be a cult classic, go see it while you get a chance and vote YES for more of these type films by seeing it at cinemas.

I give it a strong 4.9/5 and a big  Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dean

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »

Did I mention the awesome visuals?  I haven't been this visually stimulated by a film since Sin City...

Small | Large

TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »

I was a bit surprised there wasn't more talk about this one on the board.  Yes, it's a very good movie, it will probably end up on my top 10 list for the year.  And yes, it has "cult classic" written all over it; it's not doing well in theaters but it will find a huge audience on video.  People will remember this movie nostalgically ten and twenty years from now.  I agree that you should try to see this in theaters while you still can.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »

I'm going to definitely catch this one on DVD when it comes out.  I'll undoubtedly dig up this thread then.  I liked the kid playing Scott Pilgrim as George Michael in Arrested Developement. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
dean

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:52:52 AM »

Its funny that the trailers tend to dwell alot on Scott and Ramona, but in reality thinking back to it now, we don't actually see alot of them together on screen: its more Scott talking to his friends/fighting with her exes.  Maybe that's why I felt their relationship was a bit underdeveloped.

But yeah, I'm definitely surprised by the lack of response from most people on the board here, especially with so many video games threads. 

I can't stress it enough though: if you get a chance, see it at cinemas.  Whilst it'll work quite well on DVD, going to see it at cinemas does two things: it tells studios that movies like this are capable of making money so they may make more, and its just so darn pretty to watch.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:31:28 AM »

Caught this one during the opening week.  No one else was in the theater to see it.... A bit of an odd viewing.  I loved the film.  The script is hilarious and fast, the acting is decent especially from Cera who really plays these down and out loser roles almost perfectly.

The film is absolutely gorgeous to look at.  It feels like it did just come straight off of the page.  The only thing I can remotely compare it to, in terms of visuals is the Wachowski bro's Speed Racer. 

I hope this is one that ends up catching an audience eventually.  It's been doing terribly at the theater, and it's a damn shame.  This film deserves to be huge!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pilgermann

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »

Out of the few 2010 releases I've seen this is probably my favorite.  It's a shame that audiences are missing out on such a fun film, but hopefully home video sales and rentals will do nicely.

Cthulhu

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »

At times like this, I just love living in Hungary...s**t like The karate kid and The A-team gets released almost instantly, and when do we get Scott Pilgrim?
Never. It won't f**king get released in the theaters. It breaks my heart to see such a thing.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 04:34:19 PM »

At times like this, I just love living in Hungary...s**t like The karate kid and The A-team gets released almost instantly, and when do we get Scott Pilgrim?
Never. It won't f**king get released in the theaters. It breaks my heart to see such a thing.

Yes, but you have extremely beautiful women in Hungary, which sort of compensates for the lack of new releases.   Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »

Yes, but you have extremely beautiful women in Hungary, which sort of compensates for the lack of new releases.   Wink
Hmmm...that actually makes a lot of sense...Thanks for pointing out the good things in Hungary! Cheers
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »

Funny, but sadly quite true:
http://www.cracked.com/funny-4739-scott-pilgrim/

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »

One thing I will say is Kick-Ass's DVD sales have been incredibly high - beating expectations.  It also took in almost $100 million at the box office off a roughly $30 million budget.  Even with marketing costs, it was a theatrical success, just not a gigantic one.

Scott Pilgrim looks to be a bomb though, quite possibly even with DVD sales and such.  Much higher budgeted, around $60 million.  I thought it was decent entertainment, really good visuals.  Great performance by Cera.  It's also one of the strangest genre mashups and weirdest movies ever to get a mainstream theatre release. 

But, I found a lot of the story sort of uninvolving.  I think a lot of this has to do with a lack of emotional connection to any character.  Scott's a jerk, Ramona is blah, Knives is cute but little else, and the others are pretty sketchy.  Still, I enjoyed it for what it is.

7/10.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »

I'd give this a 3/5

I just don't like Cera.
Everything else very good.

Vegan police though !  Thumbup  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Scott Pilgrim Vs The World [2010] « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.