Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:15:00 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAWN OF THE DEAD(2004) vs. LAND OF THE DEAD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DAWN OF THE DEAD(2004) vs. LAND OF THE DEAD  (Read 2120 times)
HARDtoREACH
Dedicated Viewer

« on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »

love them both but which one is better

i think the new DAWN OF THE DEAD is the all around better of the two, the story, much like the original obviuosly, is better, the acting is better, and even the graphics are better.

i like LAND OF THE DEAD for the simple fact its based in my home town but there are some bad actors in it for example John Leguizamo, whoever thought that he would be good for a zombie movie was out of there mind.

any way what do think!
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »

I think they are on par with each other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses but from a fanboy perspective Land of the Dead inches ahead just for the fact that it was directed by George himself  TeddyR

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:51:26 PM »

I thought Leguizama was excellent in Land of the Dead.  He's a remarkable versatile and generally quite skilled actor - watch him in Summer of Sam for an example.

I found the Dawn of the Dead remake to be entertaining with some likeable characters.  Land of the Dead has a lot of good characters, a much more interesting plot, a climax that isn't idiotic (the ending of Dawn was just dumb to me), much better humor and was just generally a better film.  Dawn was cliche to the extreme. 

Dawn is a 7/10.  Land is a strong 8, nearly a 9 out of 10.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »

John Legui-zombo should be the actor's new name, lol

For me, the original Dawn of The Dead was he better of the two, in terms of story. The opening 30 or 40 minutes was one sheer block of chaos after another:

You had the news station in a state of collapse, a talk show that was on the verge
of anarchy, the situation at the apartment complex, and the scene in the basement with Roger and Peter blowing away the zombies. Then you had the near-death of Flyboy at the old aircraft hangars....it was pure action and one cliffhanger after another.

As an action movie, the 2004 remake pf DOTD was good, but for a solid story and more believable view of the breakdown of society, the original is the ticket.

Land Of The Dead?  It was fun for an afternoon, I guess. Seeing Tom Savini's character returning was cool. Not too many people in the audience got it, save for me and my two buddies.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:46 AM »

For me, the original Dawn of The Dead was he better of the two, in terms of story. The opening 30 or 40 minutes was one sheer block of chaos after another:

You had the news station in a state of collapse, a talk show that was on the verge
of anarchy, the situation at the apartment complex, and the scene in the basement with Roger and Peter blowing away the zombies. Then you had the near-death of Flyboy at the old aircraft hangars....it was pure action and one cliffhanger after another.

As an action movie, the 2004 remake pf DOTD was good, but for a solid story and more believable view of the breakdown of society, the original is the ticket.

Land Of The Dead?  It was fun for an afternoon, I guess. Seeing Tom Savini's character returning was cool. Not too many people in the audience got it, save for me and my two buddies.

Well, I think one thing most on this board will agree on is that Dawn of the Dead is way better than both the remake and Land.  Thumbup
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:58:45 AM »

Well, I think one thing most on this board will agree on is that Dawn of the Dead is way better than both the remake and Land.  Thumbup

True...a great story makes a great movies as well as FX, and Romero delivered the goods with DOTD. Heck, it even inspired Dead Rising even though Capcom had to refute it with their little disclaimer on the case for the game, lol A lot of heart (as well as other organs) went into the 1978 DOTD and it shows.

Land Of The Dead did have some good FX though. The "belly button ring" scene actually had me wincing more than the stuff in Romero's previous movies. That was nasty!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »

Land Of The Dead did have some good FX though. The "belly button ring" scene actually had me wincing more than the stuff in Romero's previous movies. That was nasty!

I often find that it's the subtler forms of injury in movies that really get to an audience. Dismemberments are just, well, not a sensation the human mind can normally wrap itself around without having actually experienced something like it. Getting a piercing torn out? Ouch! Double ouch if you have or have had an actual piercing! I myself have had my nose stud get caught in the little loops on towels; just having the thing yanked a little bit hurts. Getting it ripped out? Yikes!

It doesn't help that for the first few weeks after getting my nose pierced I was a little paranoid that it'd get caught on something and get torn out.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »

I often find that it's the subtler forms of injury in movies that really get to an audience. Dismemberments are just, well, not a sensation the human mind can normally wrap itself around without having actually experienced something like it. Getting a piercing torn out? Ouch! Double ouch if you have or have had an actual piercing! I myself have had my nose stud get caught in the little loops on towels; just having the thing yanked a little bit hurts. Getting it ripped out? Yikes!

It doesn't help that for the first few weeks after getting my nose pierced I was a little paranoid that it'd get caught on something and get torn out.

That works...if it's not a form of injury yuo can't relate to, the feeling won't be the same.

Earring and piercings? I'd be scared too!  That's why, years ago,  I was a bit paranoid about picking up my baby cousin when I had the long pierced earring in my left ear; you know how babies like to grab things. She never grabbed them though, because I always wore a stud earring instead.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DAWN OF THE DEAD(2004) vs. LAND OF THE DEAD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.