Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:30 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First Medal of Honor for a living Afghan war vet « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: First Medal of Honor for a living Afghan war vet  (Read 5440 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:22 PM »

First Medal of Honor for a living Afghan war vet 
DES MOINES, Iowa – A 25-year-old soldier from Iowa who exposed himself to enemy gunfire to try to save two fellow soldiers will become the first living service member from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to receive the Medal of Honor, the White House announced Friday.

President Barack Obama phoned Army Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, on Thursday at the base in Italy where he's stationed to tell him he'd be receiving the nation's highest military honor, Giunta's father told The Associated Press. He will become the eighth service member to receive the Medal of Honor during operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The seven previous medals were awarded posthumously.

"It's bittersweet for us," said Steven Giunta, of Hiawatha. "We're very proud of Sal. We can't mention that enough, but in this event, two other soldiers were killed and that weighs heavy on us. You get very happy and very proud and then you start dealing with the loss as well. You can't have one without the other..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_medal_of_honor

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »

God bless you Giunta for all you work and thank you for all service.

However, what really ticks me off is the comments about this article.  They all try to change the subject and turn it into a rant about how Obama shouldn't be president or allowed near a true american.  What the hell is wrong with people?  This article is about honoring a living hero and they use it as a f*****g excuse to rant and b***h about their political views and their own personal belief & b******t?  ARGH!!!

Sorry, but just ugh.  This is why I can't ever read comments on news articles about almost anything since they are always so frickin stupid.  Anyways, thank you for service Giunta and I pray for your protection in the future. 

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:31:45 PM »

Sorry, but just ugh.  This is why I can't ever read comments on news articles about almost anything since they are always so frickin stupid.  Anyways, thank you for service Giunta and I pray for your protection in the future. 
My advice would be, ignore negative comments.  We're all guilty of judging the world through our own filters, and knee-jerk reactions, but this article was not about partisan politics, but it was about patriotism and sacrifice.  Ignore the trolls who apparently have lots of time looking for internet articles to complain about. 

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »

My advice would be, ignore negative comments.  We're all guilty of judging the world through our own filters, and knee-jerk reactions, but this article was not about partisan politics, but it was about patriotism and sacrifice.  Ignore the trolls who apparently have lots of time looking for internet articles to complain about. 

I know, but I like reading the comments so I can get a judge of hearing people's opinions about the article.  It's just getting far worse than usual with the last presidental election.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »

We've always been a politically bipolar nation.  You ought to read some of the comments that the Whigs made about Andrew Jackson!

But three cheers for a true hero!  The Medal is the highest honor America can give.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »

However, what really ticks me off is the comments about this article.  They all try to change the subject and turn it into a rant about how Obama shouldn't be president or allowed near a true american.  What the hell is wrong with people?  This article is about honoring a living hero and they use it as a f*****g excuse to rant and b***h about their political views and their own personal belief & b******t?  ARGH!!!

Please don't take what I'm about to say personally, but the Left is just as guilty of it's own share of piggybacking of personal politics..the conflation of Gitmo and Auschwitz for one. 

And then we have the Obama-Hitler comparisons.  Were these same people upset over the comparison of Dubya to Hitler in the last 8 years? No, they made it a staple of their own sense of "patrotism," something they previously villified until they needed to rely on it fo their own inner theme.

This is not a personal attack in any way, just a reminder that a street runs both ways.

I will however, agree with you that this is definitely a time to honor an American citizen who exemplifies the values the Congressional Medal Of Honor embodies, both in the fighting spirit of our Armed Forces and personal dedication to his fellow soldiers.  It's about time we started to medal living heroes, and not just those who made the ultimate sacrifice (although their service is just as important and worthy of recognition.)

Peace  TeddyR

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:12 AM »

This is not a personal attack in any way, just a reminder that a street runs both ways.

I don't think the reminder was really needed, since Geek didn't state or imply the left doesn't also do this - and he also did nothing to defend Obama, or even to say he disagreed with message of these attacks.  Just that political attacks on Obama are inappropriate in the comment section on a news article about someone winning the Medal of Honor while trying to save his comrades.
BTM

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:39 AM »

And now, I'm going to say I like Cheez-Its. 

Who's with me?

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »

I don't think the reminder was really needed, since Geek didn't state or imply the left doesn't also do this - and he also did nothing to defend Obama, or even to say he disagreed with message of these attacks.  Just that political attacks on Obama are inappropriate in the comment section on a news article about someone winning the Medal of Honor while trying to save his comrades.

Well, I'll give you half off for that one. I totally agree that the awarding of the Medal Of Honor is a sacred event that should not be marred by politics, but let's be real:

We all know that that's not how people roll in such a politically polarized atmosphere. And as such, a few extra roadsigns that say "two way street" aren't really out of order. And again, nothing personal.

We should start awarding more medals to more soldiers..anyone who goes thru what a soldier goes thru (from basic training to actual deployment) are far better people that you or I would be on any day of the week.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »

And now, I'm going to say I like Cheez-Its. 
Who's with me?

Lookingup   

Well, I'll give you half off for that one. I totally agree that the awarding of the Medal Of Honor is a sacred event that should not be marred by politics, but let's be real:
We all know that that's not how people roll in such a politically polarized atmosphere. And as such, a few extra roadsigns that say "two way street" aren't really out of order. And again, nothing personal.
We should start awarding more medals to more soldiers..anyone who goes thru what a soldier goes thru (from basic training to actual deployment) are far better people that you or I would be on any day of the week.
There's a lot of smoke in here. 
This thread was supposed to be about the Medal of Honor winner.  If you have nothing to say about that, why not just by pass the thread?  If we're not arguing politics, we're arguing semantics.     

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »

Quote from Jim H
This thread was supposed to be about the Medal of Honor winner.  If you have nothing to say about that, why not just by pass the thread?  If we're not arguing politics, we're arguing semantics.
No argument at all. I'm just saying that outside the MOH that will be rightfully awarded,  that anyone that endures military training (and passes) is a class of hero unto themselves, and that while no medals of honor are given for that, their decision to join and go thru the rigors is no less important.
As to the Cheezit's remark....get your own box   Twirling
Uhm, you need to edit better, your posting looks like you're crediting Jim H. with my remarks.  And I was responding to all respondents to this posting, not just you. 
As for your earlier remarks, you get your political swipe in, then the room becomes unbreathable from all the smoke... can't find my way out... too many mirrors.   Lookingup

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51:29 PM »

Sorry, my apologies. It should read

Posted by Jim H

I already explained my position on it.

And your quotes:
Posted by Allhallowsday

Again, I explained my position, and gave my support for the MOH winner.

Posted by Allhallowsday
Uhm, you need to edit better, your posting looks like you're crediting Jim H. with my remarks.  And I was responding to all respondents to this posting, not just you. 
As for your earlier remarks, you get your political swipe in, then the room becomes unbreathable from all the smoke... can't find my way out... too many mirrors. 

I have a right to an opinion, and I usually back them up, (or at least try to explain where I'm coming from.)   And as far as crediting someone else, you might want to remember the earlier debacle where "3Mnkids" falsely accused me of reducing her karma when it was someone else who did it.     Have one on me... Cheers

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »

[/quote]
I have a right to an opinion, and I usually back them up, (or at least try to explain where I'm coming from.)   And as far as crediting someone else, you might want to remember the earlier debacle where "3Mnkids" falsely accused me of reducing her karma when it was someone else who did it.     Have one on me... Cheers

Hey Umaril, don't take me wrong; of course you have a right to an opinion.  AND, as the resident, self-appointed editor ( Lookingup) I'm talking about quoting appropriately, "credit" may be defined as any one reader sees fit, but do not connote some meaning other than that which I ascribe which would always be minimal.  In other words take "credit" as taking responsiblity.  I'm just trying to help you out with posting habits so your postings are easier to read and clearer.  Look at your last posting... Understand?   TeddyR You're cool.  So am I.   Smile 

And you removed your posting...  Lookingup Hatred Thumbdown
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:07:34 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »

I have a right to an opinion, and I usually back them up, (or at least try to explain where I'm coming from.)   And as far as crediting someone else, you might want to remember the earlier debacle where "3Mnkids" falsely accused me of reducing her karma when it was someone else who did it.     Have one on me... Cheers

Hey Umaril, don't take me wrong; of course you have a right to an opinion.  AND, as the resident, self-appointed editor ( Lookingup) I'm talking about quoting appropriately, "credit" may be defined as any one reader sees fit, but do not connote some meaning other than that which I ascribe which would always be minimal.  In other words take "credit" as taking responsiblity.  I'm just trying to help you out with posting habits so your postings are easier to read and clearer.  Look at your last posting... Understand?   TeddyR You're cool.  So am I.   Smile 

And you removed your posting...  Lookingup Hatred Thumbdown

Sorry if it came out that way,

I removed my posting to try to correct my mistake (crediting Jim H and not you, as you pointed out) and tried to properly address and separate the quotes for proper address to each one. Same opinion, just new and improved reply with the proper fixes ( I hope.)

Anyway, no harm no foul. Despite some sparks here and there, aside from that, I wish most political discussions (and general discussions) could be as friendly.  And not only does that makeme and you cool, it makes all of us cool.   BounceGiggle

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First Medal of Honor for a living Afghan war vet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.