Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:31:21 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2009)  (Read 3966 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »

I wanted to see this in the theater but it only had a brief limited release in a few art house theaters around here, so I never got around to it.  But I bought the DVD yesterday and I'm glad I did.

The story itself isn't anything new: an unlikely research team (an investigative reporter and a young computer hacker with a dragon tattooed on her back) try to solve a murder that occurred 40 years ago.  However, the characters, performances, and individual scenes (some would be very disturbing to certain audience members) make up for the run-of-the-mill main storyline.

The movie runs for 2 1/2 hours, but moves along at a quick pace.  IMDB says there's an extended version that runs 30 minutes longer.

I highly recommend this movie and wish I had read the best-selling, critically acclaimed novel before I saw it.  Of course, since it's a Swedish film (the DVD lets you choose between English dubbing and English subtitles), there is already an English-language remake in the works.  I just hope they don't "Americanize" it and ruin the whole thing.

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »

I love this movie. I would like to see more movies with her character. Im sure the remake will suck... they usually do.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »

There's already a sequel in the works---it may be completed already. 

I agree that it's good and worth a look for detective movie fans.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
hedgie
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »

The first sequel "The Girl Who Played With Fire" has already been released, limited here in the USA, the second sequel "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest" will be released soon.  They filmed all three movies one after the other without a major break in between.  I missed "The Girl Who Played with Fire" when it played at the independent theatre on the other side of town a couple weeks ago.  Hope I get a chance to see it on dvd before the final movie hits the same theatre soon. Cheers
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

My mom read the books and she said they did a good job trimming the fat from books to the movie. What odd is that this movie was playing at a small theater and right down the street the sequel was playing. So you could see both in one day if your will to pay almost $35-40.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:21 PM »

I love this movie. I would like to see more movies with her character. Im sure the remake will suck... they usually do.

David Fincher is handling the remake, so it shouldn't be too bad.  But there's no point to it other than to bring in people who refuse to see subtitled movies. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »

David Fincher is handling the remake, so it shouldn't be too bad.  But there's no point to it other than to bring in people who refuse to see subtitled movies. 

Honestly, I just dont like remakes. If they do a shot for shot I think.. What the hell was the point and if they do change it I think.. dammit! leave it alone!   TeddyR  I cant be pleased.

I prefer foreign films, they account for probably 70% of what I watch, and I just cant understand people who say "I dont want to read while watching a movie".

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:44:05 AM »

Honestly, I just dont like remakes. If they do a shot for shot I think.. What the hell was the point and if they do change it I think.. dammit! leave it alone!   TeddyR  I cant be pleased.

I prefer foreign films, they account for probably 70% of what I watch, and I just cant understand people who say "I dont want to read while watching a movie".

I agree.  I'm even willing to read subtitles on low budget Italian crime movies from the 1970s.   TeddyR

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
sumit
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:27:27 AM »

This is murder mystery movie.The story of this movie is very complicated and interesting.I love very much to this type of movie.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:34:51 AM »

I've been wanting to watch this but I'm holding off till I've read the trilogy.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Neville

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 05:17:12 AM »

I've seen the three original films on theatres. The first one is very far-fetched, but nevertheless fascinating. It benefits from a convoluted plot, good character development and some great acting by the two leads. The following two are increasingly bad. The second has its moments, but the third one is a joke.

I'm told there are TV mini versions of them with more footage, but I don't plan to watch them anytime soon. As for Fincher, he could make 2-3 good films with this material, provided he is allowed to make changes, but I can't see the followers of the book accepting that easily.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

I finally got around to seeing this on NetFlix the other night. I really liked it. Very well shot and flowed nicely. The culmination of the exchanges between the girl and her guardian was both disturbing and appropriately retributive. Yes, not a particularly challenging storyline, but very well written and executed.

Given the setting in Sweden, the movie got me to thinking about the still unsolved Lake Bodom murders in Finland in 1960. I wonder if anyone has ever made a movie about that.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.