Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:44:05 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Don't Get the Hate « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: I Don't Get the Hate  (Read 12740 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 10:29:33 PM »

I just wanted to say I love lady gaga    TongueOut

That was to be expected  TongueOut

Funny thing is, I never truly hated anything with such a deep passion in my life before. Along comes Gaga and 'click' I'm like a sleeper suddenly awaken.
There was a time I wanted to smack people upside the head for listening to her music or even mentioning her name, but I'm way over that (I think. I'll have to consult with my Psychiatrist first)   Wink

She's not so bad, honestly.  I think she tries too hard to get attention at times (the meat dress at the VMA's, admitting to cocaine use but declaring people shouldn't do it or whatever), but ultimately I don't feel her music is too terribly bad for what it is.  There's certainly far more less talented musicians/singers out there.  Gaga's music is good for a night out when you're drinking, partying, drugging it up and want the upbeat music and empty lyrics.  Beyond that, I wouldn't say she's a great talent.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »

However, this hatred gets way out of hand though when they actually start saying they want these people killed and or raped and then get people who actually agree with that statement.  Those people are what prompted me to start this topic because I cannot understand the deep and dark hatred they have.

The 'Net is a safety net of sorts for people to say things they wouldn't normally say to others face to face (for whatever reason) and the fact they are safe in their own homes, (and with some distance from their opponents) gives them that feeling of superiority. Armchair bravado, so to speak. But, how much of it is only smoke, vs. the ones who REALLY feel that way, will always be unknown, and that is what makes these individuals more dangerous, as some have taken their speech to the next level (in some cases.)

They don't really understand that their messages and opinions are being heard by others

While not directly related to the issue, a good recent example of this (w\regard to the quote above) is how the media handled the murder of abortion doctor Dr. George Tiller.   

O' Reilly is blamed for the same thing I quoted above. But at some point, the individual is responsible, and not the words. Because you hear it dosen't mean you have to act on it.

And there are people out there who are just plain nuts, regardless of hate speech. But trying to separate the two (pre-meditative murder vs. aggravated murder) is always a gray area marred by politics and the media, and often for their own purposes.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 03:19:25 AM »

I wouldn't say I dislike Justin Bieber, but that I dislike his music.  I think any perceived "hatred" I may have with him might have been brought on by the scores of people who have questioned me on saying I'm not into his music.  Specifically, it's those who say that there's no way I can't like his music, but I honestly don't.  His voice annoys me, and the instrumental and/or studio aspects of his music do nothing for me.  Some have said he has a perfect voice and I beg to differ.  Perfection in such a case is, after all, subjective. 

I think a lot of the hate we see on the internet is also an outlet for some people.  It's a way to blow off steam, and people like Angry Video Game Nerd, filmnstuff, and Cinema Snob have been able to channel some of that hatred for easily despicable things into something comical. 
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »

I wouldn't say I dislike Justin Bieber, but that I dislike his music.  I think any perceived "hatred" I may have with him might have been brought on by the scores of people who have questioned me on saying I'm not into his music.  Specifically, it's those who say that there's no way I can't like his music, but I honestly don't.  His voice annoys me, and the instrumental and/or studio aspects of his music do nothing for me.  Some have said he has a perfect voice and I beg to differ.  Perfection in such a case is, after all, subjective. 

I think a lot of the hate we see on the internet is also an outlet for some people.  It's a way to blow off steam, and people like Angry Video Game Nerd, filmnstuff, and Cinema Snob have been able to channel some of that hatred for easily despicable things into something comical. 

The thing with them is that they know they're nitpicking and they use characters that are almost unpleasable (well, the Nerd and Cinema Snob, anyway; I don't watch filmnstuff, so I wouldn't know about them). Heck, Brad has admitted that he enjoys a number of the movies that the Snob hates and is more or less parodying the strange practise of high-brow film critics bashing exploitation films for not meeting the same standards as art and Oscar-worthy movies.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »

I had a guy at Youtube get all upset with me and call me "fuc**ng  fa**ot"
because I said that Udo Dirkschneider of Accept was a very unlikely candidate for a metal singer, because he didn't look the part (one look at the man confirms this.)

And then I got the usual accusations- I was an "Emo fa**ot" and a "pu**y pop music lover" and all that.  All because I alluded to Udo's unconventional appearance and how it became his stage gimmick. 

It's like the ultimate kneejerk reaction..people react to the repies befroe they read them. Maybe more than a reaction, it's how they programmed themselves..I dunno.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »

because I said that Udo Dirkschneider of Accept was a very unlikely candidate for a metal singer, because he didn't look the part (one look at the man confirms this.)

And then I got the usual accusations- I was an "Emo fa**ot" and a "pu**y pop music lover" and all that.  All because I alluded to Udo's unconventional appearance and how it became his stage gimmick. 

It's like the ultimate kneejerk reaction..people react to the repies befroe they read them. Maybe more than a reaction, it's how they programmed themselves..I dunno.

I stand by my idea that, like Godwin's, the moment you imply that the other person is a homosexual in a discussion, you lose since it's obvious that you don't have an argument. The only exceptions come from situations where at least one participant actually is a homosexual, but even then those exceptions are few.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »

Sigh, I know this feeling. I like Green day and I get called a that as well. oh well, life never wins. Lookingup

yeah no.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »

Sigh, I know this feeling. I like Green day and I get called a that as well. oh well, life never wins. Lookingup

Well, in my eyes, Green Day is a somewhat antagonistic group. Songs like American Idiot Know Your Enemy and Last Of The American Girls are somewhat antagonistic and condescending to true hard working conservatives who haven't been spoiled by partisanship or extremism.  Apparently they haven't looked around them at real people with unspoiled values. They need to get out more. 

That dosen't mean that you're bad for listening to them, or that everyone who does buys their message.   And it dosen't mean you're bad if you buy their political schtick. You're entitled.

I went thru this in the 80's with heavy metal. It was hard for people to believe that a long haired, cycle jacketed headbanger was actually somewhat conservative in his thinking. And I got called a "poser" and all that stuff you go thru too.

Life never won for me either, bud   Bluesad

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »

The thing with them is that they know they're nitpicking and they use characters that are almost unpleasable (well, the Nerd and Cinema Snob, anyway; I don't watch filmnstuff, so I wouldn't know about them). Heck, Brad has admitted that he enjoys a number of the movies that the Snob hates and is more or less parodying the strange practise of high-brow film critics bashing exploitation films for not meeting the same standards as art and Oscar-worthy movies.

Filmnstuff is one guy, like AVGN, and he's probably nastier with the swearing and blatant hatred.  He's actually gotten into video flame wars with other Youtube users, particularly over his Robocop 2 review.  I will say he did go a tad over the line saying that anyone who liked Robocop 2 on NES was a masochist, and that Ocean is "paying them." 

I still stand on the venting half of it.  It's mainly when people become downright insulting that I think vehement hatred towards something gets out of hand.  I've always hated when people imply that my liking something is obviously a sign that the company is paying me.  Case in point:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/198909-tenchu-2-birth-of-the-stealth-assassins/reviews/review-23052

The parts where he bashes the game are fine by me.  The parts where he bashes those who enjoy the game are out of line. 
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

Quote from: Joe the Destroyer
Filmnstuff is one guy, like AVGN, and he's probably nastier with the swearing and blatant hatred.  He's actually gotten into video flame wars with other Youtube users, particularly over his Robocop 2 review.  I will say he did go a tad over the line saying that anyone who liked Robocop 2 on NES was a masochist, and that Ocean is "paying them."

I don't know about Robocop 2 players, but anyone who went thru NES's version of Ninja Gaiden must have been real masochists..(any more at this point would self incriminate me) Twirling

Quote from: Joe the Destroyer
The parts where he bashes the game are fine by me.  The parts where he bashes those who enjoy the game are out of line. 

I had a friend like that....and it was funny when he would turn around after criticizing people who like a certain game, and then curse his head off when HE couldn't get thru it, lol  Crazy stuff...

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

The Youtube comment section is the armpit of the internet. 
Sure there are worse places, but you can't expect to find anything there that doesn't stink. 
Seriously, just trying to read some of that stuff makes you a more stupiderest person. 
Jim H

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »

Filmnstuff is one guy, like AVGN, and he's probably nastier with the swearing and blatant hatred.  He's actually gotten into video flame wars with other Youtube users, particularly over his Robocop 2 review.

What's funny are the number of people who think it is serious - particularly the AVGN, who is quite obviously a persona/character.  James Rolfe, the creator/writer/actor/everything guy behind it, has talked about this before.  He's also one of the nicest guys around, which is kind of funny when he gets interviewed and people aren't expecting it.  I suspect the character appeals for a couple reasons - for younger people, he comes across as somewhat of a spoof of the modern internet "hater".  For people a little older, who were gamers way back when, the character is often an exaggeration of how angry we ourselves got with such games (his TMNT NES review, which was what made him big, is the case in point).  His nostalgia-ridden monologues reference this. 

But yeah, internet hate is often a crazy thing.  So many things get so blown out of proportion, that it becomes impossible to take seriously.  I'm glad there aren't too many things that get me genuinely that angry. 

On that note, I dunno if I really can say I like her as I only know like three of her songs, but Lady Gaga is OK in my books.  Well, in the sense that I enjoy those three songs anyway.  Basically, I think the melodies are good and I never care if the lyrics of a song are meaningless.  Deep criticism of music is something that doesn't matter to me - I either like a song or not, that's about it.  Sometimes this results in my liking songs that are rather embarrassing to like.  Oh well.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »

What's funny are the number of people who think it is serious - particularly the AVGN, who is quite obviously a persona/character.
I never wondered whether the guy was serious or not.  I've always disliked the guy because I don't think he's nearly as funny as he thinks he is. 
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 10:42:18 PM »

Well, in my eyes, Green Day is a somewhat antagonistic group. Songs like American Idiot Know Your Enemy and Last Of The American Girls are somewhat antagonistic and condescending to true hard working conservatives who haven't been spoiled by partisanship or extremism.  Apparently they haven't looked around them at real people with unspoiled values. They need to get out more. 

That dosen't mean that you're bad for listening to them, or that everyone who does buys their message.   And it dosen't mean you're bad if you buy their political schtick. You're entitled.

I went thru this in the 80's with heavy metal. It was hard for people to believe that a long haired, cycle jacketed headbanger was actually somewhat conservative in his thinking. And I got called a "poser" and all that stuff you go thru too.

Life never won for me either, bud   Bluesad
It sucks, really.  I like punk, and I also like Green Day.  I'm not necessarily saying that I think they're 'punk', but that community banished them years and years ago and if you even speak their name in that company, you're damn near banished and told you're a sellout for liking them. 

And these are people that shop at Hot Topic.  Not for nothing, but I'd say if you're a punk or rebel, the last place I'd shop is a corporate America pansy store that targets 14 year old girls.  Can someone explain this to me? Question

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »

The Youtube comment section is the armpit of the internet. 
Sure there are worse places, but you can't expect to find anything there that doesn't stink. 
Seriously, just trying to read some of that stuff makes you a more stupiderest person. 

Well, for me Youtube is cool because I find a lot of retro-horror movies, old commercials, or old music videos from MTV's Headbanger's Ball days As well as a lot of other stuff from my youth in the 80's.

These idiots that pull this stuff we're talking about actually make me laugh, it's to the point where it's nothing to me (to say little of the value I placed on it to begin with.)

That said, not all topics go south..sometimes you get people who agree with you on any given subject, and it winds up leading to some good and civil discussions.  Take the good with the bad.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Don't Get the Hate « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.