Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:00:51 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Don't Get the Hate « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: I Don't Get the Hate  (Read 12741 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 11:49:54 PM »

It sucks, really.  I like punk, and I also like Green Day.  I'm not necessarily saying that I think they're 'punk', but that community banished them years and years ago and if you even speak their name in that company, you're damn near banished and told you're a sellout for liking them. 

And these are people that shop at Hot Topic.  Not for nothing, but I'd say if you're a punk or rebel, the last place I'd shop is a corporate America pansy store that targets 14 year old girls.  Can someone explain this to me? Question

I liken the Green Day-Punk Rock issue to the initial (and sometimes still going) separation in the Metallica camps after they came out withe their "Nu-Metal" sound.  The battle still rages on at Youtube and other sites across Cyberspace..

As to the flip-flops who shop at Hot Topic, who knows? It seems that while most people are true to their beliefs (and don't sway from them) it seems that we as a species, have the need to get the best of both worlds. 

And at 14,  you want to be "cool" and "in the club" and all that, so I think it's more a matter of social survival than anything else. If you want to be a bling-laden pop diva, you shop at TJ Maxx.  You wanna be cool, you go to Hot Topic. HT has cooler stuff, anyway.  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 07:32:04 AM »

It sucks, really.  I like punk, and I also like Green Day.  I'm not necessarily saying that I think they're 'punk', but that community banished them years and years ago and if you even speak their name in that company, you're damn near banished and told you're a sellout for liking them.  

And these are people that shop at Hot Topic.  Not for nothing, but I'd say if you're a punk or rebel, the last place I'd shop is a corporate America pansy store that targets 14 year old girls.  Can someone explain this to me? Question

I liken the Green Day-Punk Rock issue to the initial (and sometimes still going) separation in the Metallica camps after they came out withe their "Nu-Metal" sound.  The battle still rages on at Youtube and other sites across Cyberspace..

As to the flip-flops who shop at Hot Topic, who knows? It seems that while most people are true to their beliefs (and don't sway from them) it seems that we as a species, have the need to get the best of both worlds.  

And at 14,  you want to be "cool" and "in the club" and all that, so I think it's more a matter of social survival than anything else. If you want to be a bling-laden pop diva, you shop at TJ Maxx.  You wanna be cool, you go to Hot Topic. HT has cooler stuff, anyway.  Smile

I've said before and I'll say it again the whole "selling out" thing makes no sense to me.   Its about money in the world and to deny that is just silly.  Who wants to play the local club for some bucks while you could be selling out arenas for millions?  If they choose the "some bucks" option they'll more than likely end up looking like an 40 year old idiot sporting a wallet chain and mohawk.  But hey, at least they can claim to be "anti-establishment".  Lookingup

As for the Hot Topic, its a wonderful mask for corporate American and once again "anti-establishment".  Just make sure you pick up your Ozzy slippers and black metal t-shirt for 50 bucks.  All major credit card accepted!   Thumbup  Who cares if 200,00 kids nationwide look just like YOU do!  You're a rebel baby!

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »

It sucks, really.  I like punk, and I also like Green Day.  I'm not necessarily saying that I think they're 'punk', but that community banished them years and years ago and if you even speak their name in that company, you're damn near banished and told you're a sellout for liking them. 

And these are people that shop at Hot Topic.  Not for nothing, but I'd say if you're a punk or rebel, the last place I'd shop is a corporate America pansy store that targets 14 year old girls.  Can someone explain this to me? Question

I liken the Green Day-Punk Rock issue to the initial (and sometimes still going) separation in the Metallica camps after they came out withe their "Nu-Metal" sound.  The battle still rages on at Youtube and other sites across Cyberspace..

And at 14,  you want to be "cool" and "in the club" and all that, so I think it's more a matter of social survival than anything else. If you want to be a bling-laden pop diva, you shop at TJ Maxx.  You wanna be cool, you go to Hot Topic. HT has cooler stuff, anyway.  Smile

I suspect it's part of the process of growing up and figuring out who you are. Most of us have gone through phases that, looking back, were pretty silly. In trying them out, we experimented and realized that no, that's not who we were. It's also been accepted in psychology that during the teenage years it's normal for a teen to test and push the boundaries that were set for them since childhood. It's just part of growing up and establishing yourself as an independent person. Thankfully, most people grow out of the phase of taking music so seriously that they will dislike a person upon hearing that they don't listen to the same genre/bands as they do.
Jim H

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »

It sucks, really.  I like punk, and I also like Green Day.  I'm not necessarily saying that I think they're 'punk', but that community banished them years and years ago and if you even speak their name in that company, you're damn near banished and told you're a sellout for liking them.  

And these are people that shop at Hot Topic.  Not for nothing, but I'd say if you're a punk or rebel, the last place I'd shop is a corporate America pansy store that targets 14 year old girls.  Can someone explain this to me? Question

I liken the Green Day-Punk Rock issue to the initial (and sometimes still going) separation in the Metallica camps after they came out withe their "Nu-Metal" sound.  The battle still rages on at Youtube and other sites across Cyberspace..

And at 14,  you want to be "cool" and "in the club" and all that, so I think it's more a matter of social survival than anything else. If you want to be a bling-laden pop diva, you shop at TJ Maxx.  You wanna be cool, you go to Hot Topic. HT has cooler stuff, anyway.  Smile

I've said before and I'll say it again the whole "selling out" thing makes no sense to me.   Its about money in the world and to deny that is just silly.  Who wants to play the local club for some bucks while you could be selling out arenas for millions?  If they choose the "some bucks" option they'll more than likely end up looking like an 40 year old idiot sporting a wallet chain and mohawk.  But hey, at least they can claim to be "anti-establishment".  Lookingup

As for the Hot Topic, its a wonderful mask for corporate American and once again "anti-establishment".  Just make sure you pick up your Ozzy slippers and black metal t-shirt for 50 bucks.  All major credit card accepted!   Thumbup  Who cares if 200,00 kids nationwide look just like YOU do!  You're a rebel baby!

The big issue is people apply the term "selling out" in ways that don't really apply.  Making a lot of money playing and recording the music you always wanted to isn't selling out.  It's when they deliberately water down and alter their music purely to sell more albums that they've "sold out".  Sometimes people also use the term "sold out" to equal "became popular", which I just find strange.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

I agree with you. I think the reason for this is that people feel a sense of unjustified ownership of an artist or a musical genre. If a band they adore becomes popular or goes through a change they don't like, they feel betrayed and then call the band a sellout. Get over it. You don't have ANY ownership of the band or the genre. If you think being underground and unpopular is important, then start your own band, do everything you possibly can to avoid fame, and perhaps then you will be happy in your microcosm.

The big issue is people apply the term "selling out" in ways that don't really apply.  Making a lot of money playing and recording the music you always wanted to isn't selling out.  It's when they deliberately water down and alter their music purely to sell more albums that they've "sold out".  Sometimes people also use the term "sold out" to equal "became popular", which I just find strange.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »

I don't actually shot at Hot Topic, but they have cool T-shirts and that's about the extent of my like for them. As for saying they have cooler stuff, I meant more in terms of it's unconventional nature.

Posted by: The Gravekeeper

I suspect it's part of the process of growing up and figuring out who you are. Most of us have gone through phases that, looking back, were pretty silly. In trying them out, we experimented and realized that no, that's not who we were. It's also been accepted in psychology that during the teenage years it's normal for a teen to test and push the boundaries that were set for them since childhood. It's just part of growing up and establishing yourself as an independent person. Thankfully, most people grow out of the phase of taking music so seriously that they will dislike a person upon hearing that they don't listen to the same genre/bands as they do.

Well said!  TeddyR   Finding out who you are thru a series of things, attitudes and styles that please you (while they offend others) is part of the game.  We've all been thru it.

You go around, and you come around, with a lot of experimentation in between.

You either stay a certain way, or you find a way to fit into the daily world while you keep your core beliefs\attitudes to yourself in a place where noone but you can access them. 

Or, in the other corner, you go 360 degrees opposite of your beliefs and become something you never thought you'd become ( I.E. Liberal to Conservative or vice versa.)

It's quite a process.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »

I don't actually shot at Hot Topic, but they have cool T-shirts and that's about the extent of my like for them. As for saying they have cooler stuff, I meant more in terms of it's unconventional nature.

I've shopped at Hot Topic in the past and places like Spencer Gifts.  However, I think there is just a really fine line between shopping there and believing you are making a monumental statement with their goods.

I guess it boils down to, for this thread anyhow, do what you dig.  As long as its in the law and not hurting anyone. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »

I just buy shirts, as in Misfits, and got a "Hello, My Name is Iningo Montoya, You killed My Father, Prepare to Die"

yeah no.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »

I don't completely hate Hot Topic itself as a store.  I hate the people who think it's fashionable to shop there in order to 'rebel' when they're really just doing what everyone else is doing.  They're not selling out, they're "buying in' to corporate America.  Nothing wrong with it.

I've seen some Misfits stuff there, t-shirts and all, and yeah, bought them.  Just cause it was convenient.  But I've since found it's easier to buy it directly from their website or find same items at Thrift Stores or other specialty shops that isn't a corporation.  Doesn't make me better than anyone.  Ultimately if I buy something from Hot Topic, it's not a matter of me feeling like I fit in, I just hate that others do it just cause it's cool to try and fit in rather than making any kind of real political or punk type of statement of their own.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »

Sounds like Hot Topic is the TapOut version of those that watch UFC and fancy themselves martial arts masters, even though they've never been in a fight or done any training whatsoever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »

I try to avoid Hot Topic if I can, what with the Atomsphere (a mom 'n pop store in the mall that sells merchandise of rock, metal, and punk bands). 

I realize AVGN is a character, but I still think the observation I made is viable.  He bases his character on haters, and is therefore channeling the hatred to make something that's intended to be funny.  I say intended to be because I find that he's getting less and less funny the more videos I've watched.  For me, he seemed like a one trick pony, and that trick is wearing thin.  I still watch his videos to hear what he actually has to say about a game.  He's actually quite good at arguing that some of the games he reviews are complete crap. 
Jim H

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »

I try to avoid Hot Topic if I can, what with the Atomsphere (a mom 'n pop store in the mall that sells merchandise of rock, metal, and punk bands). 

I realize AVGN is a character, but I still think the observation I made is viable.  He bases his character on haters, and is therefore channeling the hatred to make something that's intended to be funny.  I say intended to be because I find that he's getting less and less funny the more videos I've watched.  For me, he seemed like a one trick pony, and that trick is wearing thin.  I still watch his videos to hear what he actually has to say about a game.  He's actually quite good at arguing that some of the games he reviews are complete crap. 

It still has its moments and I still find it entertaining, but yeah, it's pretty tough to keep a show really good with such a basic concept (foul mouthed nerd rants against bad games) going for 90+ episodes. 

Considering this forum's predilections, I think Rolfe's movie reviews might be of interest to people here, particularly his Monster Madness series.  Rolfe is a professional video editor, and it shows in his work. 

http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/

The amount of videos he puts up is staggering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Don't Get the Hate « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.