Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Gateaway into Bad Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Gateaway into Bad Movies  (Read 7671 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »

Hmm well it's a little tough to place exactly but well as a kid, I loved cartoons of all types including the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon which did get pretty trippy and wacky especially in its later seasons, Astroboy (which features lot of fights with giant robots), Marvel Super-Hero cartoons which looked more like slightly animated comic books, which I also loved and were full of crazy monsters, super villains and of course superheroes. I recall the Fantastic Four and Incredible Hulk were two of my faves and both comics were very sci-fi driven.

But I really think my love of bad movies was born due to participation in youth club and school movie events. As a kid, my local youth club used to gather a bunch of us together and shows us films via film projector - that was my first introduction to Bruce Lee and I saw practically every single one of his films in this fashion. Also at school, they actually showed When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth when I was a kid as well as Supergirl and Batman: The Movie. I became more and more fascinated with superhero and adventure stories which naturally lead to more fascination with sci-fi and fantasy. As a teen too, I started staying up late at night and late-night TV was a real haven for B-movies. I caught so many in this way especially when I finally had access to Space: The Imagination Station. I think the first Bad Movie I recall really enjoying was The Giant Claw.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

this insane ultraman movie called hanuman and the 7 ultraman brothers or something. it was cut in such a way that it was basically all fights. I watched it dozens of times

Small | Large
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:02:33 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »

I always loved b-movies since I was a kid. My first "bad" movies would have to be Pieces and later on SOV stuff like Blood Cult, Boardinghouse, and The Ripper.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »

I think pot has been the gateway for many. It is a gateway drug, right?

Just kidding.

Growing up with older siblings who liked to watch Reefer Madness for a laugh was a factor, as was being an avid reader of Mad Magazine. Then, when I was around 12 or so, I saw It Came From Hollywood and that was it. Because of that movie, I have a particular fondness for 50's and 60's sci-fi and horror cheese.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

"Ed Wood", then I watched "Plan 9". Very original huh? Come-on I was like 13!

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 09:47:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure it all started before the start of my coherent memory span. No, seriously. My mom enjoys b-movies more than the average joe (though not as much as those of us here), so in all likeliness I probably saw my first when I was still knee-high to a grasshopper. The first one I remember, though, was the classic "Night of the Living Dead." Or...was it "Godzilla?" One of those two.

EDIT: I should probably correct myself by pointing out that while "Night of the Living Dead" and "Godzilla" are (in my books anyway) B-movies, they aren't bad movies by any means. They just don't fit into higher-budget or high-brow fare although it is possible to get some more intelligent stuff out of them than the majority of their kin.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:50:51 PM by The Gravekeeper » Logged
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »

'Twas a danish monster movie infamously known as Reptilicus that I watched in my childhood. However, I didn't fully appreciate bad movies until I watched Krull. Since then,
b-movies became an important artistic aspect in my life.  Smile
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »

Oh, I failed to mention that growing up as a young lad watching Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot and Inframan had a huge influence.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

As a youth I watched a lot of Night Flight, and then the B-fare of Up All Night on USA.  Lots of Cheese there.  (Sorority Girls at teh Slime Ball Bowlerama and Chopping Mall come to mind)
Later on, there was a show doing redubbed B films called Mad Movies.  That sort of primed the pump. 

In college I discoverd MST3K and Joe Bob Briggs.  By then I was hooked.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »

As a youth I watched a lot of Night Flight, and then the B-fare of Up All Night on USA.  Lots of Cheese there.  (Sorority Girls at teh Slime Ball Bowlerama and Chopping Mall come to mind)
Later on, there was a show doing redubbed B films called Mad Movies.  That sort of primed the pump. 

In college I discoverd MST3K and Joe Bob Briggs.  By then I was hooked.
-Ed

Joe Bob Briggs. Whatever happened to him? That was great stuff.

ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »

After The Stuff, obviously, I'd have to say that the earliest really bad movie that I used to watch for its badness was The Devil's Bride starring Charles Gray.  I had never seen Rocky Horror or any of his Bond movies and had no idea who Charles Gray was, but somehow I had to watch that movie whenever it was on.

And the Star Trek episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before", I remember that one too.  And rooting for the mutant crew members to kill Kirk and win - I almost always root for the "bad guys".  It's more fun that way, but almost always ends up disappointing at the end.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »

Watching Teenagers from outer space after unlocking it in the game Destroy all humans, and I actually liked it.

Phantomgrift
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »

I honestly am not sure.
I grew up as a kid in the early eighties, so I was influenced by a mish-mash of shows.
It didn't help (or maybe it did), that as I come from a family of seven, those 99-cent movie rental places were good entertainment for the family and I would happily wander the shelves at a tender age reading movie boxes about "C.H.U.D." or "Attack Of The Killer Queen Bee Women".

Stuff that I actually remember from my earliest point though?
Well, the first movie I ever saw at the babysitters when I was 6 that later inspired me to throw saw-blades at our wooden fence was AhNolds "Commando"
That and a love of sci-fi movies has lead me to wonderful things like "Aliens At My Babysitter"

Some I'm not even sure of the name of. It would be something I read about and suddenly realize I'd seen the movie on Sat afternoon tv years and years ago.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »

I forgot to add that one of my earliest in-theatre movies was the 1970's King Kong.  But I remember little aside from the final battle.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
bloodkrishna
Executioner from Hong Kong
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »

return of the living dead and death race 2000 open the gate for me  Thumbup

Toad style is immensely strong, and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used, it's almost invincible
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Gateaway into Bad Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.