Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:43:18 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Curious if anyone wanted to give feedback to something I've been writing. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Curious if anyone wanted to give feedback to something I've been writing.  (Read 4140 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 13, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »

Alright I'm extremely shy about my (crappy) writing and the subject is based around a nice chunk of the films reviewed here. Hey they say: write what you know, and I think I know monster movies pretty well.

To get over my shyness I figure it would be a big step if I sought out feedback from the kind of people who knew and appreciated this kind of subject matter.

It's long and if I don't crap out it's going to be longer. I've started editing and re-writing the first part of the story. I gotta start taking criticism honestly and take it to heart.

The subject takes place in a monster world, like the Toho monster universes, or either of the Gamera series with an Ultramanesque figure being in the middle of it.

I'd preview if anyone wanted to see it that they contact by PM and we'd go from there. I'm not quite ready to give anything out but if I got a few nibbles then I'd get on it and start sharing.

Any help would be cool and much appreciated and it'd be great getting it from some of the long time posters who...even they have probably forgotten who I am.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »

hi
I am also quite(rightly so) not too confident on my ability to write a story,and yet i have just begun on a journey that will ultimately see me write a story arc that will involve a trilogy.Writing is a very personal thing and when you have an idea that you wish to put pen too paper then you should go ahead no matter how harsh the criticism.I  would be honoured to look at your work and if you so desire i will gladly give you my email.

good luck and continue with your story.

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »

Hey that's one you are a very brave soul I should say. If you have something too to share I'll gladly repay the favor.

You can PM me or email at daveblackeye15@yahoo.com

Skull
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »

lol... shyness is quite common. I love message boards because it helps removing your shyness.

It sounds like you are threading on writer's block and looking for motivation. Writer Block forces you to question your own material and makes you think twice. Sometimes looking for a critic my help and sometimes it wont.

The only suggest I can offer is keep plowing away. In my first book (unpublished and waiting for a rewrite) was an uphill battle. But I've decided to jump chapters when I was having a problem within the story and returned when I feel that I could handle the chapter. This method also helped me in finishing my 3rd script; there was one scene I couldnt figure until I was actually finished with the core of the script. Now I'm working on my 4th script... :)

as for your story, I would perfer you to post a brief summary of your story. I believing in protecting your own work before letting strangers see the story, but I also believe an idea is a dime a dozen and a summary is just a taste of your story (unless it constist an idea that your afraid somebody will steal).

If your looking for more advise on writing I could try to help.

Smile

daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:46 PM »

I don't have writer's block so much as I think it'd be for the best I start getting feedback sooner rather than later.

Maybe putting a summary would be for the best but I never know which bits I should go with. I know it's a ridiculous story but it seems dumb now that I'm trying to summarize it, eh that's what's re-writes are for, to get the suck out.

Problem is when I summarize stuff it becomes the cliff notes.

Attempt at summarizing the first arc: It's an alternate universe where history wise it's not too different the major difference is that monsters of varies sizes have been appearing for over a century. North America, Europe, parts of Africa and Europe are well off but poorer places get hit harder and it seems more appearing. Enter Alex Arnez, with his friend Angelina Dubin, who is not exactly the best soldier who makes a last chance grab at joining the crew of the new airship, the Icarus, a mobile fortress meant to combat the city destroyers and a bid on President Martinez to give aid to worse off nations. Dubin is attempting to remain a dropship pilot rather than a fighter, possessing a too blood thirsty vengeance against the beasts.

While on leave before getting placed at the Icarus Arnez goes out camping and due to unbelievable chances is the first on scene of a crashed alien ship. He finds the survivor, a telepathic humanoid, and blacks out but none the less arrives in LA to report to the ship on the day before its maiden flight. The ship's colonel, Degaulle also has a stake in the matter, she accepts the position, one that is massively mocked, because she believes if she can make it work she will have a huge chance at getting into politics once the tour ends.

Oh and off an island the festive of the Icarus' flight is cut short by the appearance of an enormous insect, her smaller brood, and during the fight Arnez is fatally wounded, only to have a conversation with the alien, admitting it suppressed his memories and offers to join with him and promises great power. Despite not agreeing Arnez grows into a vicious looking humanoid and after taking too many wounds the alien takes over and goes berserk, ripping the insect apart and seemingly melts away, leaving only a healed Arnez, no ones about this change. Degaulle and Arnez, or the Humanoid will butt heads.

Yeah sounds dumb doesn't it? Actually I'm getting some ideas of making it suck less. It's an attempt, a poor one, at making a more character driven 'heshin' story...with of course plenty of giant monster action. I wanted to explore just what kind of world it'd be to have things like that popping around. I mean various Ultra series and Godzilla seem to take it in stride.

Oh and it seems my summary attempt failed massively.

Skull
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »

I don't have writer's block so much as I think it'd be for the best I start getting feedback sooner rather than later.

hehe... there is a little more to writer's block then suddenly comming up with blank pages (or not knowing what to do next). Some writers calls it the 50 page curse, when a writer comes up with so many pages and then questions their work or think it's a stupid project and shelf the work and it's never gets complete.

Yeah sounds dumb doesn't it?

I was raised by Johnny Socko, Gamera and Mothra... as well as Godzilla... So I dont see anything wrong with a giant monster story and I dont think it's a dumb idea... Who would of thought writing a story about EMO Vampires that glitter in the daylight would sell and become big budget movies. (Talk about a silly idea)

daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:37:13 PM »

The problem with doing a giant monster story in prose is that monsters fit better as something more visual. Comic book, movie, tv show, harder to do in a book.

FYI I'm at about 65 pages now so not quite fifty. At least posting my summary has given me new angles on the characters and I got some edits going.

dean

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:45:03 AM »

Not sure if you've completed it yet, or have the whole plot in mind, but I find a good starting point is doing a 'quick pitch' summary.  If you had 30 seconds to sum up the story, what would you say?  Its not really a necessary process, but I find it is a good starting point when trying to find the key elements of the story.  It also helps if you were trying to sell it: if you take 5 minutes to try and explain it, it makes it harder to sell.

I don't think your idea is a bad one at all [I'd go so far as to say it sounds awesome]: stick to your guns!  Concept-wise it's great, its the quality of the writing that will make or break any idea.  You can make any idea work with the right writing, like Skull mentioned.

I find the creative process is 10% writing, 90% banging your head against a wall trying to figure it out, so don't worry too much.

Its also not too bad to look at similar pieces that may give you inspiration in terms of style and ideas.  Just keep writing and even if its crap, its all part of the process!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Skull
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »

The problem with doing a giant monster story in prose is that monsters fit better as something more visual. Comic book, movie, tv show, harder to do in a book.

Actually it's easy to do on book, you could have fun referencing older films and playing with words like: gigantic, enormous and getting stomped...

FYI I'm at about 65 pages now so not quite fifty. At least posting my summary has given me new angles on the characters and I got some edits going.

Summary helps as well as an outline. Also a notebook is helpful tool. I have a notebook from my first book; Ive written an outline for each chapter and then wrote a brief summary. Outlines are a guides but they are never complete until the story is finished. When I started my outline I had 40 chapter, when I finished the book it was over 60 chapters.

I try to keep the same notebook. On my notebook I have chapters, brief ideas and list of characters (some of the characters also has a brief summary, too). I've also used lots of whiteout and tape.

I'm not sure what proccess you are using but if you're not using a notebook it might be a good idea to try it, also if your not doing an outline, you should try it too.
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:14 AM »

hi
My wife ,like it would appear many other readers has suddenly discovered the "vampire" bandwagon.Stephenie Meyer,Charlene Harris plus a whole host of writers all seem to be able to draw readers in with what i honestly believe is crap story,s.I admire you for posting your summary and it was good advice by skull to do that. Your story is something that will be very personal to you and i honestly like the way the story arc is forming,my story is a fantasy story rather like Stephen Donaldson's. Thomas Covenant chronicles.I shall not be a fool and claim it is totally original,but i do hope that it will be good enough to be published one day.I shall email you and i shall ,if you want give you a brief summary of my story,keep up with your writing if nothing else it will give you something to focus on and who knows,one day my wife may be reading your book,

good luck and good luck with your story skull,

Skull
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »

Funny, I think the "vampire bandwagon" is quite old. But as long as teens are willing to buy into such stories then there’s a market for it. It's not a bad thing at least it gives you an idea who is willing to buy such stories.

I'm not sure the process of getting things published and honestly I don’t really care (except I'm looking for a Pen Name); I do believe the chances in getting a book published is much better then getting a movie studio to buy your script. I've also think it's better to worried about getting your book published after you feel your book is complete (Note I said 'feel' some writers never think their book is finished). It has been suggested to make a second book before getting things published; I do like that idea and I'm slowly working up for my second book.

My recent script is: “Revenge Taste Very Sweet, My Love” it’s a giallo story inspired from Breakout from Oppression (1978). It’s also a very low budget horror/slasher story so I don’t think I should have a problem selling it. (Finger’s crossed) Yep, I just made this silly poster yesterday, sadly I wish I could find more things relating to my script and talk about insane… try looking for a decent picture of a guy tied to a chair. (there are some really sick, sick people)

I'm currently working on a Christmas Tree slasher movie-script (talk about silly ideas... hehe). Right now I'm still penning ideas for my script and see what I like... :) I personally believe a good horror story has solid characters that people like and a villain/monster that doesn’t pull punches; so this is going to take me a few weeks to construct.

My second book is going to be a tragic love story, its about boy finds girl in the 1893 worlds fair and then looses her in H.H. Holmes hotel. I've pitched my wife the idea a few years ago and she thought it was very sad.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:52:16 AM by Skull » Logged
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »

hi
I am not sure how much you mean by "low budget" but i think i may be able to point you in the right direction for your movie script.You probably are aware that i am one of the few Brits on this site,I have a very close friend who has his own movie company and he is always on the scout for good ideas.His company is called cryptkeeper check out his website cryptkeeper.co.UK.My friend does have quite a few independent movies that he distributes through his company but please be aware they are b-movies with a very low budget,but having said that we all have to start somewhere,. if you do not wish to contact him then i would be pleased to do so for you.Should you email him then his name is George and if you mention my name which is Kevin then you might jump the queue,
I once tried to write a script for him titled "final heartbeat" but it proved to be to large of a script for him to film cheaply, good luck and if you require any help then i shall try my best.

Skull
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

Thanks, I'll look into it... :)
daveblackeye15

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »

Oh cool, already one brave soul has contacted me about reading what I have. Cool, I'll get back to him as soon as I can, as well as check out what he sent me.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:35 PM »

Macabre I've started reading that piece you sent me. Sorry if it's taken me so long to get to it, work has picked up for the term. I should have it finished in a day or two

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Curious if anyone wanted to give feedback to something I've been writing. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.