Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:00:22 AM
714195 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  News media screws up again, « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: News media screws up again,  (Read 1879 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 14, 2010, 07:10:04 AM »

Why did it take this long for the NY Times to publish this?  How much controversy could have been avoided

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/nyregion/11religion.html?_r=2&hp

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »

Why did it take this long for the NY Times to publish this?  How much controversy could have been avoided

How the heck would this article have changed ANY controversy if had been published earlier?

The fact of the matter is that the attack was committed by Muslims and a lot of people are angry about that.  That anger fuels the debate.  Because some Muslims were also victims in the attack changes NOTHING in the emotion of the debate for either side.

People believe what they want to believe and tenaciously cling to their conclusions.  This article will do nothing to change that.

Did blacks fighting for the US in World War II change southern attitudes toward black people?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:34 PM »

How the heck would this article have changed ANY controversy if had been published earlier?

The fact of the matter is that the attack was committed by Muslims and a lot of people are angry about that.  That anger fuels the debate.  Because some Muslims were also victims in the attack changes NOTHING in the emotion of the debate for either side.

People believe what they want to believe and tenaciously cling to their conclusions.  This article will do nothing to change that.

Did blacks fighting for the US in World War II change southern attitudes toward black people?

Karma for that. Like I've always said, everyone has a filter that rejects information that does not support one's beliefs. Each filter is different in what type of information it will reject and to what degree, but we all have one. The filters are even more exclusive in situations like this. The establishment and free exercise clauses of the 1st amendment don't matter anymore.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »

Karma for that. Like I've always said, everyone has a filter that rejects information that does not support one's beliefs. Each filter is different in what type of information it will reject and to what degree, but we all have one. The filters are even more exclusive in situations like this. The establishment and free exercise clauses of the 1st amendment don't matter anymore.

This is no more apparent than when you're trying to state your case to someone (with info that IS correct and supports your argument in full) and all they do is constantly reject everything you say,  or use the excuse that it's "biased information" to fuel their baseless claim.

It's frustrating to bang your head against the wall with someone in these cases, and even funny, (and hypocritical) when they constantly reject successive waves of info, but yet won't come up with their OWN material to prove you're wrong.

Some people do it just for the antagonistic value, knowing that playing Devil's Advocate will bring about the desired result.  It's a game to them. And the media is defintely a catalyst that has caused more than it's fair share of antagonism, because it's just a game to them too.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »

Some people do it just for the antagonistic value, knowing that playing Devil's Advocate will bring about the desired result.  It's a game to them. And the media is defintely a catalyst that has caused more than it's fair share of antagonism, because it's just a game to them too.

Having worked at newspapers for 20 years, I can say that is absolutely true. Facts get exaggerated and twisted to grab attention and stir up more controversy to feed on, stories get rushed out before all the facts are straight, and too many journalists start with their interpretation of events and find the sources that support it. And a fair amount of the time, that late story that comes along and paints everything in a different light is late by design, to maximize what they can milk out of an issue. The rest of the time, it's because they go straight for the controversy and figure the rest out whenever they get around to it.

At my last job, I used to regularly butt heads with the biggest disgrace to the profession I've ever worked with. Everything with him was about getting a lot of stories in the least possible time, and having everything ready for the next issue, even if it wasn't ready. I kid you not, this a***ole would file stories despite  not being able to reach people he absolutely needed to talk to. His thinking was that if his story was wrong, those people would be sure to contact him after it came out, and he'd have another story next week. His idea of win-win. Lookingup If there was a misunderstanding that stirred up some controversy in the meantime, so much the better. Everything in his story would be attributed to a source, so it was no skin off hid nose. He took no responsibility, hiding behind that old BS of merely telling the public what they have a right to know.  He never once showed any concern for the damage he might be doing.

I'd always try to help people understand the issues I wrote about, and hold an incomplete story until I had the facts, rather than fixing it after it's out. There were times I thought he was deliberately misleading the readers to generate controversy and create a bigger mess to be sorted out over several more stories. He was one of those throwback nutjobs for whom journalism is as much a lifestyle as a job. The industry loves them, because they'll work loads of unpaid overtime.

Long story short, they laid me off and promoted him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:22:36 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »

Geez, Andy!  I see where you're coming from. The Media's job is to create a reaction, (be it positive or negative) and feed it. They seem to be very adept at creating feeding frenzies. Sounds like you had your work cut out for you in those days..

Quote from AndyC

The rest of the time, it's because they go straight for the controversy and figure the rest out whenever they get around to it.

Look no further than Youtube for this sort of thing: 

You always see videos of cops losing their cool with suspects,  or my favorite, the little gum cracking punk-ass skater kids who get shaken down by the cops for trespassing on private property. I love how they try to make themselves political prisoners of the U.S. when they get caught breaking the law.

The cries of victim start flying...and until the full incident is seen, (which usually never happens) the polarization it creates can be seen in the replies that come pouring out as both sides square off over the issue.

I swear, if the truth were a real option in the media, everyone would be out of a job..

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  News media screws up again, « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.