Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:22:14 AM
714205 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  King City Removes Flag from Memorial « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: King City Removes Flag from Memorial  (Read 3989 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »

http://www.wxii12.com/r/25036227/detail.html

Ignoring our beliefs (We don't need to start an arguement on that and get everyone frustrated), I'm annoyed that they removed the flag just because of one little annoying call.  The flag should stay up there.  It's part of a memorial and sure it represents some of the soldiers who are Christian, but it isn't violating any seperation of church and state.  It has no power to make one believe or not believe in anything.  This sort of reminds me of the Mojave Memorial Cross, but not as big.  This flag is part of a memorial to honor veterans, not some secret message that says the government and the church are together.

Now I will admit that a part of me is upset because of my faith, but the rest of me is upset they are taking a part of the memorial off because of one whiny person.  The city council didn't even seem to ask the families who had their love ones name on it about the flag.  Ugh.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »

Typical of America today - one whiny jerk threatens a lawsuit, the ACLU chimes in, and local officials cave.  Thus four hundred years of American heritage are chipped away, one memorial, one flag, one cross at a time . . . .

JERKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they going to demand we pull up all the crosses in Arlington National Cemetery next?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »

Typical of America today - one whiny jerk threatens a lawsuit, the ACLU chimes in, and local officials cave.  Thus four hundred years of American heritage are chipped away, one memorial, one flag, one cross at a time . . . .

Are they going to demand we pull up all the crosses in Arlington National Cemetery next?

Did you watch the video?  One of the complainers (the video implies more than one, but the article implies just one) was a veteran, and according to what he told the ACLU, when he complained to the county manager he told him he'd have to stand before Jesus and God and be judged for making such a complaint, and the mayor told him the council would have to pray for him.  Such obnoxious treatment was likely a reason he got the ACLU involved. 

The flag should stay up there.  It's part of a memorial and sure it represents some of the soldiers who are Christian, but it isn't violating any seperation of church and state.

Well, the general idea is the government is paying for iconography of one religion over others.  In other words, it's sponsoring and promoting the religion (even if in a relatively innocuous manner), thus violating the Establishment clause.  According to basically all previous court cases similar to this one, the ACLU is completely correct, and considering the memorial went up in 2004, the council really should have known this. 

As a personal aside, I don't know why anyone flies a Christian flag.  They always seem kind of ugly to me, especially in comparison to the more simplistic wooden or stone crosses.

As far as Arlington:

http://www.aclu.org/images/asset_upload_file399_26244.pdf
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »

The ACLU did the same thing in NY earlier this year...a veteran was forbidden by his landlord, from flying the American Flag on his rental property, because his neighbors were all offended by it.

The man finally won his case, but now he can only fly it in his backyard, and cannot display it in his car or front window. Isn't that a load of bullsh*t?

Funny, you can't display the Flag, but noone says a thing when some gum cracking, smartass little tweenie burns it to show off for his little girlfriends out in Berkeley....

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

http://www.democratherald.com/news/local/article_1b6bf198-b50e-11de-b924-001cc4c002e0.html

Is this what you were talking about Umaril?  If so, that's one of those things the ACLU knows the legalities of, and the organization is well aware that renters can have public displays controlled by the property owners - since, well, they don't own the property.  As another example, I know someone who was forced to park his own vehicle out of the apartment lot because it was rusted and ugly and other tenants didn't like it.  I don't think it's right, but that's the way it works.

So basically, the ACLU just stayed out of the situation, since there isn't any legal ground being infringed upon.  In other words, there's no illegal infringement of rights, so there's no ground for a lawsuit.  There have been other cases where it appears the ACLU is philosophically against something, but know they can't win legally, so they stay out of it.  Restrictions on student speech in general seem to be among these. 

If I've got the wrong case, I'd like to see the right one, as I'm pretty curious. 

An example of a different kind:

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/homeowner-has-right-fly-historic-military-flag-aclu-arizona-says?tab=all
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »

Surely not everyone buried in the cemetery is a believing Christian.  If just one zombie veteran objects to the flag, I say it's the right move to take it down.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »

Surely not everyone buried in the cemetery is a believing Christian.  If just one zombie veteran objects to the flag, I say it's the right move to take it down.

They'll give Zombies rights over my dead body darn it!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »

http://www.democratherald.com/news/local/article_1b6bf198-b50e-11de-b924-001cc4c002e0.html

If I've got the wrong case, I'd like to see the right one, as I'm pretty curious.

Right case.  But since Mexican flags were also mentioned, I see where this is going now...

I'm going to say what I'm going to say, and I make no apologies, because I fully support our Vets:  The landlord is full of baloney. It's not "fairness to all."  The fact that Mexican flags are involved explains it all: the landlord dosen't want to lose their monthly income from her diverse base of offended renters.  So, Old Glory comes down and once again, the loud minority turns America into an ever growing paper tiger.

It's not about fairness, it's about monthly income. This man served America, fought and bled while these people most likely stayed home and watched it on TV. he has every right to fly Old Glory. Instead, he's shoved aside for money.

Next time, maybe the landlord or the other tenants should go out with a 100+ pound backpack and hoof it thru SE Asia or the boiling hot sands of Iraq.

Old Glory comes down for noone.

Posted by Jim H

An example of a different kind

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/homeowner-has-right-fly-historic-military-flag-aclu-arizona-says?tab=all

Well as you move West you have a more conservative view, and I only wonder if this would be allowed somewhere in the NE, where more liberal views abound. At least someone has respect for our Vets. More people should try it sometime...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:00:41 PM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »

Well as you move West you have a more conservative view, and I only wonder if this would be allowed somewhere in the NE, where more liberal views abound. At least someone has respect for our Vets. More people should try it sometime...
I think the difference is the fellow in AZ owns his home.  Still, home owner's associations are notorious for bullying individualistically minded members.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »

I think the difference is the fellow in AZ owns his home.  Still, home owner's associations are notorious for bullying individualistically minded members.

You got that right, homeowners associations think they can dictate every personal inch
of your property.  I've seen it for myself with my neighbors and some of their issues, as well as some of my own issues.

They give you the old "well everyone else is in line, why don't you get on the bandwagon with us" attitude, and if you don't, a day dosen't go by that you don't hear about it.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  King City Removes Flag from Memorial « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.