Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:41:03 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Boardwalk Empire « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Boardwalk Empire  (Read 7310 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »

HBO just launched a new original series.  Executive produced by Martin Scorcese, who also directed the premiere.

It stars Steve Buscemi in the lead role, as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, a half gang boss/half corrupt politician in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  It starts off on the eve of the start of Prohibition back in the '20s, and he hatches a plan to start selling the now outlawed alcohol illegally, making himself a healthy profit. 

Decent acting, a good storyline and an ending making me want to watch the next episode marks the premiere episode.  The ratings were so high that HBO renewed it for a second season, and it was only one episode.

Anyone else catch it?

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »

I liked it quite a bit. It says what I've always said about prohibition in general. The almost immediate corresponding rise in government corruption, gangsterism, and the price of a drink was well represented, as was the rise of the making of nasty and dangerous alcoholic concoctions underground to meet the demand that prohibition disallowed. A great artistic expression of how prohibition creates more problems than it solves.

I'm curious to see how the show progresses through the prohibition era. The prohibition era started in 1920, yet the show seemed to represent cultural and fashion elements that were a bit more advanced into the decade, but I think that's to be expected from a show that is trying to capture the over-the-top culture of the roaring 20's.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »

Totally agree.  Especially about the fashion elements.  They started it, what, the night before Prohibition took place?  Dunno how long the show is expected to run, although I read they were pleased with how the series looks and the ratings and reviews it's gotten and renewed it for a definite second season.

I'm sure they'll bounce the characters around and age them and all. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »

That could be a challenge. If the show is highly successful, they have 13 years of the prohibition era to cover. If the show is not as big as they hoped or suspected, they may need to advance it along a little faster. Off to a good start, though.

Jim H

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

I enjoyed it, but I must admit I found a couple bits a little hard to follow.  Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.  My favorite part of the episode was the reveal of who the driver from Chicago was. 
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »

That could be a challenge. If the show is highly successful, they have 13 years of the prohibition era to cover. If the show is not as big as they hoped or suspected, they may need to advance it along a little faster. Off to a good start, though.
I don't know if they'd wanna do 13 years of the show though.  But HBO is different than most tv stations though, in that the seasons may not be full 22 episodes or 23 episodes.  They may film 10 episodes and not air any for the next 8 months to year and a half.  Especially since Boardwalk Empire has a few actors (Buscemi and Michael Pitt) who also have movies they film.  Considering that and the ages of some of the stars, you never know.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »

Left me drooling for the 2nd episode. I hope they cast John Waters as Steve Buschemi's brother.

John Hancock
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »

I don't know if they'd wanna do 13 years of the show though.  But HBO is different than most tv stations though, in that the seasons may not be full 22 episodes or 23 episodes.  They may film 10 episodes and not air any for the next 8 months to year and a half.  Especially since Boardwalk Empire has a few actors (Buscemi and Michael Pitt) who also have movies they film.  Considering that and the ages of some of the stars, you never know.

I'm fairly versed in HBO series. They're typically about 12-13 episodes on average. Much shorter than a typical network show, but then the production values and cast are of a much higher scale.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »

Left me drooling for the 2nd episode. I hope they cast John Waters as Steve Buschemi's brother.

That was funny. Karma for that.  Thumbup

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »

Overall it's looking like it's a decently written show. 

Can't wait to see where it'll go after seeing last night's episode.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

Just caught up with the series, I have been enjoying it.  The roles are perfectly cast I find.  Though parts of me really doesn't give a hoot about Jimmy.  I'm sure I'll get more into his character if he is going to join the Chicago crew. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »

Got it on now.  Missed last week's, but it's available On Demand, so I'll have to catch it next after this one airs. 

10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 08:59:23 AM »

Kind of interested in seeing what goes on between Chicago and Atlantic city now. Kind of hope they kill that curly howard impersonator though.

John Hancock
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »

Taking an interesting story there.  Like that Al Capone's in it. TeddyR

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »

This is one of those shows that, like the SOPRANOS, I probably won't see until the DVD release.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Boardwalk Empire « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.