Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:23:18 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice  (Read 8308 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 23, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if1d3902d12574ec222961f1deec0fd2b
Netflix is now in Canada, offering local subscribers an online movie and TV streaming service for $7.99 a month. The move marks the first international foray for the California-based online streaming/DVD-by-mail giant. Etan Vlessing caught up with Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings in Toronto as he reaches beyond his 15 million American subscribers to start rolling out his online subscription service around the world.

THR: Are you concerned that American Netflix subscribers will look north and ask for the same discount Canadians get at $7.99?

Hastings: How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.
    Buggedout

wow, way to insult 15 million American subscribers to netflix.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:58 PM »

As much as I agree that Americans really don't pay much attention to the rest of the world, I still feel this is a very careless remark.  Being in a customer service-based company, he's really not in a position to be making cultural commentary, especially not of the scathing variety.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

Its not nice but I doubt I'll cancel my subscription over it.  And self admiringly, I am a bit self absorbed.  TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »

If anything Canadians should be upset at paying a premium, as they only get streaming services and not DVD rentals.  Maybe Netflix could offer streaming only with no DVD rentals for Americans for the same price.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:02 AM »

Its not nice but I doubt I'll cancel my subscription over it.  And self admiringly, I am a bit self absorbed.  TeddyR

Yeah, I'm not going to hold it against Netflix.  The CEO is also American, and made the statement as a self-deprecating joke.  Unfortunately, sarcasm is difficult to pick up in the written word, and you know people.  They will (and apparently already have) blow it out of proportion. 

EDIT:
Wow... Google "Netflix CEO Americans" and see all the banter.  One person even claimed that he called Americans "dumb as f**k," which he clearly didn't.  With as fast as this has spread on the internet, the general public might give a crap in about a month.  Might.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:53:34 AM by Joe the Destroyer » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:18:37 AM »

I'd have to go with the joke theory, considering he's American himself.  Not a very good joke at all, but corporate CEO's aren't usually known for their comic genius.  Considering I watch 5 or 6 Netflix movies a week, I guess I'll let it slide  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
3mnkids

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 06:52:58 AM »

Im not canceling my netflix over it but joke or not it was a very stupid thing to say. He should have just said they pay less because they dont get dvds in the mail.   

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »

Perhaps he can make it up to me by expanding the streaming selection more frequently...hint hint.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »

Perhaps he can make it up to me by expanding the streaming selection more frequently...hint hint.

Yes or even add a Linux client...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
3mnkids

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/09/apologies.html

My Big American Foot is in my mouth. Yesterday, I made an awkward joke with a reporter in Toronto about Americans (like me) being self-absorbed relative to Netflix pricing in Canada. I was wrong to have made the joke, and I do not believe that one of the most philanthropically-minded nations in the world (America) is self-absorbed or full of self-absorbed people. The pricing Netflix is offering in Canada, $7.99 per month, does not include any DVD-by-mail option, and that is why it is cheaper than our $8.99 USA plan which has both DVD-by-mail and streaming in one plan. We are looking at adding a streaming-only option for the USA over the coming months. My apologies to anyone offended by my self-absorbed comment. Sincerely, -Reed

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  What Netflix CEO hopes U.S. won't notice « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.