Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:54:35 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Blockbuster Files For Bankruptcy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Blockbuster Files For Bankruptcy  (Read 9323 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 23, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/business/24blockbuster.html?src=busln

I can't remember for the life of me the last time I was in a video store, but this seems like the beginning of the end of an era.

Or maybe the final gasp of the end of an era.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »

All of them have gone under rather quickly in my area.  I think there was at one point 5 in a 10 miles radius of me.  Right now theres only one and they're having a going out of business sale.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »

I think the only video rental stores left in my area are the mom'n'pop ones, and those ae few and far between.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:54:45 AM »

The two in our area closed a long time ago.  I was pretty surprised actually, one of them was right at the entrance to a supermarket, which has also gone out of business BTW.  We do have several other video stores around, either mom 'n' pop or else smaller chain stores. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:17 AM »

Good riddance.  There used to be lots of independent stores and chains that had incredible selections of movies.  Those are where I first watched "Demon Wind," "Alien Predators," and countless other bad movies.  Blockbuster drove them all out of business, and Blockbuster's selection has always been very narrow, very mainstream, very boring. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:35:34 AM »

Well, Blockbuster never really had that good of a selection. It's passing shall open the door for a new, possibly better, company to take its place.

....And that's alright with me.
venomx
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »

I always had a feeling someday this would happen.

But I agree with Andrew.

"There used to be lots of independent stores and chains that had incredible selections of movies.  Those are where I first watched "Demon Wind," "Alien Predators," and countless other bad movies.  Blockbuster drove them all out of business"
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »

I miss West Coast Video. There's a tiny strip mall near were I used to live (and not all that far from where I live now) that had WCV and a Little Cesars. Friday nights, you got pizzas at LC, went and rented a couple of movies at WCV. I was around 8 or 9 at  the time, so for me, that was the coolest thing in the world. That was more than 16 years ago. Eventually, both vanished, although just recently, they put a new LC in that same mall. If only WCV wasnt extinct...

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 06:56:26 PM »

Good riddance.  There used to be lots of independent stores and chains that had incredible selections of movies.  Those are where I first watched "Demon Wind," "Alien Predators," and countless other bad movies.  Blockbuster drove them all out of business, and Blockbuster's selection has always been very narrow, very mainstream, very boring. 

I couldn't agree more. 

Except that I did buy their used movies when they were on sale.   TongueOut
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

There's only one in my town and when it goes out, I'm raiding it for every movie I want.  They are already selling 4 DVDs for 20 bucks.  I'm bound to get 6 and higher for 20 bucks at a later time.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »

Bit of a pity. Yes, Blockbuster always had a lousy selection, but I do use it to rent new video games once in a while. Better to spend a couple of bucks borrowing a game that you might not like for a week than to pay full price for a game you might not like.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »

Agreed.  Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

There's only one in my town and when it goes out, I'm raiding it for every movie I want.  They are already selling 4 DVDs for 20 bucks.  I'm bound to get 6 and higher for 20 bucks at a later time.

Be sure to keep an eye on that. There's been a few places that I heard were closing, and I wanted to raid when they got down  to the wire, only to find out they were gone before I knew it.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ChaosTheory

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:05:32 PM »

It's funny but Blockbuster is the one rental retailer I simply never used.  There wasn't any particular reason behind it,  I just always went with West Coast, Take 2 or Hollywood Video (and I was pretty bummed when my town's HWood closed down because it had the best variety). 
Not that I'll miss Blockbuster but the fact that it's pretty much Netflix or nothing these days doesn't make me terribly comfortable.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »

Well, Blockbuster never really had that good of a selection. It's passing shall open the door for a new, possibly better, company to take its place.

....And that's alright with me.

I don't know, I think brick & mortar video stores are in their twilight days.  They probably won't go away COMPLETELY anytime soon, but they're going to be few and far between from now on.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Blockbuster Files For Bankruptcy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.