Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:22:10 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  question from my five yr old daughter! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: question from my five yr old daughter!  (Read 5978 times)
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« on: September 28, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

hi
I always look forward to picking my youngest daughter up from school. It gives me time to have a good long chat with her and she always gives me food for thought, so here goes our conversation today,

Crystal: Dad how long do you spend in mums stomach before you are born?
me: Well some children are born premature but on average about nine months!

Crystal: So when you come out are you nine months old?

me: No , you start your birthday on the day you are born!

Crystal: why? you just told me dad, that you are already nine months old when you are born!

OK guys that question got me stumped, I am not going to go into the debate regarding the rights of a foetus, but why not judge the birth of a person when it is conceived and not when it is born, afterall the foetus is alive, you guys can help me out on this one.

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »

in the past people didn't know exactly how far along a baby was. you knew you were prgnant when you figured it out. you couldn't do like DNA tests or something to determine the exact moment of conception. so the earliest measurable date was the date of birth.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

This could have serious impact on legal ages for drinking, voting, driving, military service, and retirement among other things.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Skull
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »

This could have serious impact on legal ages for drinking, voting, driving, military service, and retirement among other things.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I believe a person born in Japan is automaticly 1 year old.  Buggedout

OK guys that question got me stumped, I am not going to go into the debate regarding the rights of a foetus, but why not judge the birth of a person when it is conceived and not when it is born, afterall the foetus is alive, you guys can help me out on this one.

Sometimes we dont want to know where, when or why our parents conceived us.

Personally, I do believe life starts at the moment of conception; some groups dont want to believe in this because they want to believe they have justification in destroying the foetus and not feel bad about it.

I hate to be the one that say this... Abortion does destroy life and typically most woman that has abortions do feel the remorse about the ordeal. I know my mother had issues because she aborted a foetus after a few weeks after my birth; the doctor told her it was ok since "it hasnt developed" and my dad say he wasnt ready for another baby... but my mother often felt bad about abortion even years later. It was life that she destroyed and she'll always feel bad about it.

Saddly those that are for abortion dont talk about the psylogical ramifications.

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »

[Personally, I do believe life starts at the moment of conception; some groups dont want to believe in this because they want to believe they have justification in destroying the foetus and not feel bad about it.

You have every right to speak on the issue, regardless of the femi-nazi groups who see their vaginas as their key to pigeonholing men on reproductive rights issues.  Men are one half of the creation process, and without us, there would be no babies (although I'm sure science will continue to break the laws of nature, so stay tuned.)

I hate to be the one that say this... Abortion does destroy life and typically most woman that has abortions do feel the remorse about the ordeal.

Saddly those that are for abortion dont talk about the psylogical ramifications.

Agreed. And like you, I also believe life begins at conception. However, there are certain instances: rape, birth defects, threats to the mother's life, ect. where abortion is a viable option,  But just to avoid the night before?  NO.  The corner store has all you need to avoid a potential accident.

How about adoption?

Adoption can make life very happy for those unable to have children, and it also saves the life of the child. Why does a child have to die? Wouldn't it make sense to bring some light into someone else's life with a bouncing baby boy or girl?   Just a few thoughts...

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
bloodkrishna
Executioner from Hong Kong
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »

I guess if u agree your daughter
then she will said " yeah, so you will buy me two birthday presents this year daddy?"

btw, lovely and warm little story
I wish I have my own daughter right now T_T

Toad style is immensely strong, and immune to nearly any weapon. When it's properly used, it's almost invincible
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »

Aren't children wonderful in their honesty and openness?

We were sitting in Port City Java one with my children having hot chocolate while I enjoyed a Red Eye.  The place was not overly crowded but there were plenty of other customers present, and nearby.

My daughter, 7 at the time, stated (and not quietly):

"So, let me get this straight.  The sperm comes out of the penis and gets to the egg in the woman, right?  How does it get there?"

I vowed to myself long ago that I would answer my children's questions truthfully and as honestly as they are asked.  This is very difficult to put into practice I find.  In any event, we had quite the conversation there in PCJ, with all those people listening.  Oh well.

To answer your daughter's particular question is a wonderful opportunity to introduce her to the great mysteries of life and how it begins.  Some people believe life begins at conception, and others take a different view, perhaps believing that before birth, the fetus is part of the mother and not an independent life (I disagree with this personally, but if my daughter asked about this, I would not shy from telling her things that I disagree with).

That we call it a "birth day," however, is self explanatory.  We celebrate the day that a child truly becomes a separate being.  It may be somewhat arbitrary, but it is easily definable...and a convenient definition.

The most important thing here is that she is talking to you about this stuff...keep that channel open (even if it becomes difficult for YOU sometimes).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:26 AM »

Aren't children wonderful in their honesty and openness?
We were sitting in Port City Java one with my children having hot chocolate while I enjoyed a Red Eye.  The place was not overly crowded but there were plenty of other customers present, and nearby.
My daughter, 7 at the time, stated (and not quietly):
"So, let me get this straight.  The sperm comes out of the penis and gets to the egg in the woman, right?  How does it get there?"
I vowed to myself long ago that I would answer my children's questions truthfully and as honestly as they are asked.  This is very difficult to put into practice I find.  In any event, we had quite the conversation there in PCJ, with all those people listening.  Oh well.
To answer your daughter's particular question is a wonderful opportunity to introduce her to the great mysteries of life and how it begins.  Some people believe life begins at conception, and others take a different view, perhaps believing that before birth, the fetus is part of the mother and not an independent life (I disagree with this personally, but if my daughter asked about this, I would not shy from telling her things that I disagree with).
That we call it a "birth day," however, is self explanatory.  We celebrate the day that a child truly becomes a separate being.  It may be somewhat arbitrary, but it is easily definable...and a convenient definition.
The most important thing here is that she is talking to you about this stuff...keep that channel open (even if it becomes difficult for YOU sometimes).
I wanna hear how you told her the sperm "gets to the egg in the woman".   BounceGiggle Wink BounceGiggle Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »

I wanna hear how you told her the sperm "gets to the egg in the woman".   BounceGiggle Wink BounceGiggle Lookingup

Do I need to explain it to you, too?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Skull
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38:43 AM »

[Personally, I do believe life starts at the moment of conception; some groups dont want to believe in this because they want to believe they have justification in destroying the foetus and not feel bad about it.

You have every right to speak on the issue, regardless of the femi-nazi groups who see their vaginas as their key to pigeonholing men on reproductive rights issues.  Men are one half of the creation process, and without us, there would be no babies (although I'm sure science will continue to break the laws of nature, so stay tuned.)

lol... science cannot manufacture male sperm (or any animal sperm) because the sperm cells are living tissue with dna. Those woman need us.

I hate to be the one that say this... Abortion does destroy life and typically most woman that has abortions do feel the remorse about the ordeal.

Agreed. And like you, I also believe life begins at conception. However, there are certain instances: rape, birth defects, threats to the mother's life, ect. where abortion is a viable option,  But just to avoid the night before?  NO.  The corner store has all you need to avoid a potential accident.

Saddly rape does happen although I believe rape is often used as a smoking gun in abortion issues. It's a tough argement, the woman isnt consenting for the incident therefore she shouldnt be obligated to carried the child of a rapist... On the other hand, it's still life. Typically, the police department/doctor has a rap kit that is used for instant abortion. (I'm not against abortion when it comes to rape)

Birth defects does worrie me... At what range? Missing limbs, physical illness, siamese twins, the wrong color of hair, the wrong sex... silly as the last two may sound I could see somebody saying these are birth defects. It worries me because aborting babies based upon birth defects does devalues life.

threats to the mother's life...  Another smoking gun, although I think this argument is sad and funny... Why? It's sad because it does happen very rarely... It's funny because those bringing up the threats to the mother's life issue are assuming this happens all the time and then assumes the doctor will not do anything about this. Really, this isnt an issue; it's up to the mother and doctor (or doctors) at this point.

How about adoption?

Adoption can make life very happy for those unable to have children, and it also saves the life of the child. Why does a child have to die? Wouldn't it make sense to bring some light into someone else's life with a bouncing baby boy or girl?   Just a few thoughts...

Nothing wrong with adoption although I think (and could be wrong) most adoption clinics are run like prisons. I've also think the process is purposely difficult, especially when it deals with people looking to adopt a baby. I do believe the adoption clinic and procssing needs to be fixxed.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »

I knew this thread was going to turn into a pro-life/pro-choice argument. Didn't take long either. Skull, I love ya but you're really trying to get one started, aren't ya? Can I make a humble and ernest request that we DON'T get into a pro-life/pro-choice thread here? I don't believe that was macabre's intention. I could be wrong though.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Skull
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »

I knew this thread was going to turn into a pro-life/pro-choice argument. Didn't take long either. Skull, I love ya but you're really trying to get one started, aren't ya? Can I make a humble and ernest request that we DON'T get into a pro-life/pro-choice thread here? I don't believe that was macabre's intention. I could be wrong though.

Sorry... I believe sex is responsibility... and what can happen after sex is Irreversible. (It’s not the question of pro-life/pro-choice... )

I think the best way to teach sex to children is dropping food coloring in a glass of water, then tell the kids to return the water to its normal state without changing the volume of water.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »

Sorry... I believe sex is responsibility... and what can happen after sex is Irreversible. (It’s not the question of pro-life/pro-choice... )

I think the best way to teach sex to children is dropping food coloring in a glass of water, then tell the kids to return the water to its normal state without changing the volume of water.

I'm not begrudging you your beliefs or opinions. I'm just making a request. I'm not going to even hint at my beliefs. I just don't want to see another episode like what happened with us on the drug prohibition thread. The hot buttons on this issue surpass the prohibition one to be sure, not the least of which are the cultural and religious ones. Best left alone in my humble opinion.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:03:24 AM »

I am not going to go into the debate regarding the rights of a foetus

Macabre included this in his original post.  It was a wise choice. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Skull
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:56 AM »

I'm not begrudging you your beliefs or opinions.

You either believe in science or magic…

Science… Life starts when the sperm hits the egg.

Magic… after a number of day’s, week’s or after birth the baby receives a soul.

Those that are for abortion believes in magic.

I've also realized macabre attempt... although his question is about the moment of life.

Unlike othertopics I dont care if you are for abortions but I do want to point out its the destruction of life (no matter how anybody tries to justify the action)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:57:01 AM by Skull » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  question from my five yr old daughter! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.