Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:11:58 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Survey: Americans don't know much about religion « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Survey: Americans don't know much about religion  (Read 9286 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »

I heard about this study on the news and I'm quite surprised when they brought up that 45% didn't know or did know (I forget which and I didn't see it in the article shown here) the gospels, [Matthew, Mark, Luke and John].  Either way, that's bad.  Somehow I'm surprised and not surprised by this.

Anyways, out of pure curiousity, I tried that U.S. Religious Knowledge quiz provided at the bottom of the article.  I surprisingly got all 15 right, but the last question on who was one of the leading peple in the First Great Awakening was more of a lucky guess.  According to this, I scored better than 99% of the public!  Anyone else try this quiz besides me and asimpson2006?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »

Anyone else try this quiz besides me and asimpson2006?

I got 13 out of 15 right.  Not bad considering I dont own a bible and haven't stepped in a church since I was 6.   TeddyR 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »

13/15

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »

Definitely a loaded poll, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests that the specifics of religion don't matter to a lot of people. In most cases that I've seen, it's simply having faith that matters to people.

As for some of the comments left on that site, way to go atheists. Assuming that correlation and cause are the same and that everyone with religious leanings is both stupid and below you is such a great way to both convince people to join you and to dispel the stereotype that atheists are intolerant snobs. I do find it odd that so many people who dismiss mythology never stop to consider that maybe the people who created the stories didn't take them at face value either, nor that those stories were created to illustrate life teachings in the same way that Aesops were created to teach good behaviour to children. Just because a story isn't true doesn't mean that it doesn't have any value.

@Jim H: I've seen examples of people from all over the spectrum; smart atheists, dumb atheists, smart religious folk, dumb religious folk. The capacity for logical, rational thought and spirituality are not mutually exclusive.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Survey: Americans don't know much about religion « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.