Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:45 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Facepalm moments? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Facepalm moments?  (Read 2066 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »

What moments in your life just want to make you bang your head against a wall . . . or simply bury your face in your palm in a vain attempt to deny the reality of what you just saw or heard?

One of my memorable ones came a few years ago in an 8th grade history class I was teaching.  I had one girl who would ALWAYS ask, about halfway through class, to use the restroom (this class was last period of the day).  I kept hoping, in vain, that ONE day she would raise her hand to ask a question about what we were talking about, but no, it was always "Can I go to the bathroom?".  Finally, in frustration, I said near the end of the year that NO ONE could go to the bathroom, period, unless they first asked a question about the subject we were discussing.

It was near the end of the last quarter.  For two weeks I had been discussing the buildup to the Civil War and the breakup of the Union.  I was now fighting my way through Grant's Wilderness campaign.  You must understand, I am not a boring, basketball coach history teacher.  I love my craft, and I am passionate about it! I am likely to climb on top of desks, or charge towards the front of the room, or give Lincoln's entire Second Inaugural address while standing on top of my chair.  I do my level best to be the kind of teacher that my students will tell their grandkids about.

Now, as I am describing the Battle of the Wilderness and the horrors it involved, this young lady's hand shoots up.  With a smile, I said, "You have a question about the topic?"

Her face scrunched up, her brow furrowed, and then, suddenly, her face brightened.  "Mr Smith!" she said.  "Was it the North or the South that had the slaves?"

Buggedout
(I'd post a facepalm photo, but I don't have one saved on my hard drive.)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Skull
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:55:23 PM »

It was near the end of the last quarter.  For two weeks I had been discussing the buildup to the Civil War and the breakup of the Union.  I was now fighting my way through Grant's Wilderness campaign.  You must understand, I am not a boring, basketball coach history teacher.  I love my craft, and I am passionate about it! I am likely to climb on top of desks, or charge towards the front of the room, or give Lincoln's entire Second Inaugural address while standing on top of my chair.  I do my level best to be the kind of teacher that my students will tell their grandkids about.

I would like you to be my child's history teacher...  Smile

Her face scrunched up, her brow furrowed, and then, suddenly, her face brightened.  "Mr Smith!" she said.  "Was it the North or the South that had the slaves?"

lol... since she is in 8th grade... I would tell her good question now write me a 1000 word essay why you dont know the answer... and I want it at the end of the week with your parents so we could talk about your bathroom problem... if you dont your not going to see high school.

PS... I still wouldnt let her go to the bathroom.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:57:31 PM by Skull » Logged
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:19:01 PM »

What moments in your life just want to make you bang your head against a wall . . . or simply bury your face in your palm in a vain attempt to deny the reality of what you just saw or heard?

One of my memorable ones came a few years ago in an 8th grade history class I was teaching.  I had one girl who would ALWAYS ask, about halfway through class, to use the restroom (this class was last period of the day).  I kept hoping, in vain, that ONE day she would raise her hand to ask a question about what we were talking about, but no, it was always "Can I go to the bathroom?".  Finally, in frustration, I said near the end of the year that NO ONE could go to the bathroom, period, unless they first asked a question about the subject we were discussing.

It was near the end of the last quarter.  For two weeks I had been discussing the buildup to the Civil War and the breakup of the Union.  I was now fighting my way through Grant's Wilderness campaign.  You must understand, I am not a boring, basketball coach history teacher.  I love my craft, and I am passionate about it! I am likely to climb on top of desks, or charge towards the front of the room, or give Lincoln's entire Second Inaugural address while standing on top of my chair.  I do my level best to be the kind of teacher that my students will tell their grandkids about.

Now, as I am describing the Battle of the Wilderness and the horrors it involved, this young lady's hand shoots up.  With a smile, I said, "You have a question about the topic?"

Her face scrunched up, her brow furrowed, and then, suddenly, her face brightened.  "Mr Smith!" she said.  "Was it the North or the South that had the slaves?"

Buggedout
(I'd post a facepalm photo, but I don't have one saved on my hard drive.)

In a way it would be better if she knew the answer, but just said that so she could use the bathroom!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:08:46 PM »

I think what she said to me after class that day was even worse:

"Don't take it personally, Mr. Smith.  I just don't care."

On the bright side, she is NOT back in my classroom this year.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »

Whenever the nurses at work do stupid things I facepalm.. if I'm not muttering "S**t!  You idiots!".  Not stupid things involving the care of the patients (thank God, because you'd probably never want to go to my hospital), but not properly disposing certain containers of patient fluids (yuck), or leaving the beds unstripped (not my job), or going home without putting their stuff in the trash and leaving it scattered on the floor, whatever.  Just dumb.  And I let them know; not that they're dumb (though obviously they are at times, and lazy too) but that they need to follow certain procedures.  A housekeeper having to tell the nurses that; that's just sad.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:43:28 PM by retrorussell » Logged

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:04:01 AM »

hi
I am the headteacher for a special needs school,and from time to time we have student teachers.I was relaxing one day with the teachers during our first respite period when i noticed one such student looking rather concerned. I asked her if she was enjoying being in the classroom,she turned to me and said she was concerned for one of my pupils  he was always following her and seemed to be afraid of the other children.This young lady then went on to mention he seemed very nervous and he was always "twiddling" his fingers and messing around with his hands.I was quite worried myself until she mentioned the child's name,the particular child in question has multi-sensory disabilities and he was merely communicating via sign language.This young lady gave me many facepalm moments.

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:07:01 AM »

Oh retrorussell, I know exactly what you mean: my first summer job when I was in school was on housekeeping at a local hospital.  The only mess worse that what the nurses sometimes left was the floors of the chronic wards on the days they had peas and carrots for lunch.  (I swear those oldsters had food fights!)

My most recent facepalm moment:  

We have bags we can put on horses' tails in order to keep them clean and untangled.  They are long and narrow and tie in to the tail hairs at the top.   A person mentioned using one and how she had been tying knots in it to close up some holes...until she realized that it was making the bag heavier.  So she stopped doing that.

Umm.  Yeah.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »

A few years ago we had a big wind storm that knocked the power out for a couple days.  It also blew a limb off our apple tree.  Having little else to do (Once we'd transferred all the food from the refrigerator into coolers), I got the chainsaw out and was all ready to start cutting up the fallen limb.  My, um...electric chainsaw.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »

My, um...electric chainsaw.

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »

I work tech support, I facepalm at least 3 times a day.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

Well, I'm confused now. Which was it?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »

As an addendum, at least 3 times a day I have to SPELL the name "Ed"

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:56:28 PM »

Looking at the last comic page I inked, I face-palmed. My first couple of classes of figure drawing have shown me just how very off my perspective and characters' proportions were. Alas, I'd already inked the outlines; I just finished the shading, put it online, and vowed to be much more attentive in regards to those two issues in the future.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

I work tech support, I facepalm at least 3 times a day.

Me too.  I'm a computer operator at a manufacturing plant.  And I usually do a facepalm at least three times a day, but usually it's a few more.  Especially when I hear of some of the antics of the first shift guy from the lady who works overnight.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »

Another one yesterday . . .

I was in class discussing the origins of the French and Indian War, turning it into a story as I always do.  It was going something like this . . .

"So the governor of Virginia is looking for a volunteer to lead an expedition to tell the French to keep out of the Ohio River Valley, because that was Virginia's turf, right?  And the commander of the Virginia militia was too old and sick to lead the expedition.  Then this youngster, 23 years old and a lowly lieutenant in the militia, steps forward and volunteers.  Says he knows the area very well because he helped survey it a couple years before.  Governor Dinwiddie looks him over and sees a young, brash fellow who is 6' 4" tall and has all the characteristics of a born leader.  So he takes a chance and places this young guy in command of 300 frontier militia members with instructions to head over the mountains and tell the French to scram.  And it was this same 6 foot 4 inch redhead who would, one day, go on to become the first President of the United States!"

At which one of my 8th graders brightly chirped:  "Abraham Lincoln!!!"

Facepalm!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Facepalm moments? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.