Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:22:29 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First Potentially Habitable Planet Was Discovered « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: First Potentially Habitable Planet Was Discovered  (Read 17159 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Potentially-Habitable-Planet-Was-Discovered-158806.shtml

A NASA and NSF-funded research, carried out by a team from the University of California Santa Cruz and the Carnegie Institution of Washington, has announced the discovery of an exoplanet, three times the mass of Earth, that orbits a nearby star and is placed in the middle of the star's “habitable zone”.

They have shared the exciting discovery after eleven years of observations, with one of the largest optical telescopes in the world, the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii.

A “potentially habitable planet” is a planet on which life could exist, but not necessarily human life, and this depends on several factors, out of which having liquid water and atmosphere are sine qua non.

And as the planet is placed in an area where liquid water could exist on its surface, the Gliese 581g (named after its star Gliese 581) could be the most Earth-like exoplanet ever discovered.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »

Read this earlier and was really excited. I'm taking bets on how long it'll take us to ruin this new planet.

John Hancock
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

Read this earlier and was really excited. I'm taking bets on how long it'll take us to ruin this new planet.

But first we have to to get there. Calling the Robinson family....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:28:16 AM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »

$50 says we start complaining about the state of it within 100 years of making it safe for humans to live on.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »

$50 says we start complaining about the state of it within 100 years of making it safe for humans to live on.

Not to mention the fun we'll be having with the indigenous inhabitants of the place. Another 1492 of sorts..

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »

First potentially habitable planet discovered?  Well I guess that makes sense seeing how most aliens always seem to come to our planet, everywhere seems to be a bad place to live.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

First potentially habitable planet discovered?  Well I guess that makes sense seeing how most aliens always seem to come to our planet, everywhere seems to be a bad place to live.

Coming to Earth to get away from the trouble in their own backyards? Now there's a switch. With everything going on now I'd say they were getting a bad deal  Buggedout

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »

Coming to Earth to get away from the trouble in their own backyards? Now there's a switch. With everything going on now I'd say they were getting a bad deal  Buggedout

Alien: Let's invade Earth so that we can use their abundant fossil fuel deposits to replace our diminishing reserves! They ARE abundant, right? I mean, we did just check up on them not 200 years ago when we set out on our quest to invade them.
dean

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »

I like how the planet orbits with the sun, in that one side is always dark, and one always sunny.  You could stage some pretty epic good vs evil fights on that planet!  It would also make a great location for a sci-fi 'Heaven and Hell is a planet separated by light' story crossed with avatar or something.

I also like how one of the scientists apparently said he was 100% sure there will be life on that planet.   TeddyR

Confident chap.  Let the genocide of the native population begin!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:15 PM »

I like how the planet orbits with the sun, in that one side is always dark, and one always sunny.  You could stage some pretty epic good vs evil fights on that planet!  It would also make a great location for a sci-fi 'Heaven and Hell is a planet separated by light' story crossed with avatar or something.

I also like how one of the scientists apparently said he was 100% sure there will be life on that planet.   TeddyR

Confident chap.  Let the genocide of the native population begin!

Is it genocide if it's just, say, bacteria? 'Cuz we do that every day without even trying.
dean

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

Oh I'm just hoping we find some alien race and find a way to kill it.

Just another bug hunt, you know.  We've done it before, I think I saw some footage of it around here somewhere?

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »

Yeah, but remember what happened that other time we encountered a somewhat intelligent but very aggresive alien species? Y'know...the ones that burst out of people's chests? That didn't end well. Mind you, if we'd sent in a whole army instead of a handful of soldiers, well, who knows. Maybe we wouldn't have had to nuke the site from orbit.
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »

A “potentially habitable planet” is a planet on which life could exist, but not necessarily human life, and this depends on several factors, out of which having liquid water and atmosphere are sine qua non.

And by "life could exist" they mean life similar to the lifeforms of Earth.  There isn't any reason to think other forms of life could not exist in different types of environments. 
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »

If life on Gliese evolved along similar lines as Earth without any pesky meteor strikes maybe the locals look more like this:

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »

And by "life could exist" they mean life similar to the lifeforms of Earth.  There isn't any reason to think other forms of life could not exist in different types of environments. 

Like water bears. Adorable little micro-organisms that not only survived for 10 days in the vacuum of space, but actually bred in it. If nuclear armageddon were to happen right now, the water bears wouldn't really notice.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  First Potentially Habitable Planet Was Discovered « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.