Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:50:41 AM
714149 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials  (Read 10033 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 30, 2010, 09:21:29 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100930/ap_on_en_tv/us_congress_loud_commercials_
WASHINGTON – Legislation to turn down the volume on loud TV commercials that send couch potatoes diving for their remote controls looks like it'll soon become law.

The Senate late Wednesday unanimously passed a bill to require television stations and cable companies to implement industry standards capping the volume of commercials and equalizing the volume between ads and other programming.

The House has passed similar legislation but minor differences have to be worked out when Congress returns to Washington after the Nov. 2 election.

Thumbup   loud commercials drive me crazy. 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »

On the one hand, this is a real problem, especially when my daughter is very sensitive to loud noises and the commercials blare out like a clap of thunder!

On the other hand, AN ACT OF CONGRESS?  Is that what it took to get something done?

Yeeks!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »

"But Robert Thompson, a professor of television and popular
culture at Syracuse University, says Congress should have better
things to do. He says he doesn't think anyone has ever been harmed
by loud commercials." http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/79261977.html

Anyone who has watched an older TV show or movie on TV has likely been genuinely startled by the huge jump in volume when a commercial comes on. It's not so bad for newer shows, but older ones tend to be quieter so you have to turn the volume up to properly hear them. It's really unpleasant and potentially harmful if you had the volume up high to hear the program or have a fickle heart.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 01:23:37 AM »

Economic turmoil and the like and THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE VOTING ON?  What next, is congress going to have a vote on who should be eliminated on Dancing With the Stars?
3mnkids

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »

Im just thrilled they have agreed on something   TeddyR 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:39:49 AM »

I always hit mute the moment the commercials come on anyway.  Between the banner ads and pop up ads - which can be extremely distracting, the umpteen minutes of commercials that make it impossible to enjoy a movie, the "Tune in next week for the premiere of [insert garbage here]" that's displayed in the corner of the screen throughout the entire show, and the 8 minutes of commercials before the last 5 minutes of the show, the networks have driven me away long ago.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:08:17 PM »

Im just thrilled they have agreed on something   TeddyR 

Agreed, plus it something must political parties can agree on.  I think at least...

About time this happened.  I always have to quickly turn the volume down when the commercials hit but then have to crank it up again when the show comes back on.  Glad this is suppose to solve this issue.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mean Machine
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »

Meh, damn supreme court will just rule that it violates the fre speech of advertisers and overturn it.
dean

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »

We have, from memory, a law where broadcasters/advertisers cannot exceed a certain dB level, thereby limiting the volume.

BUT, what you find is that some advertisers use a trick where they fill the ad with more sounds: the volume doesn't exceed the limit, but because there's more noise there compared to the TV/Show movie, which was probably just people talking [a relatively quiet thing] then you notice a big jump.

I wonder really what the point is: Ads always sound louder because TV shows are usually quiet right before the break [dramatic pause as the characters ponder and then black, and then ads]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »

Meh, damn supreme court will just rule that it violates the fre speech of advertisers and overturn it.

No.  Advertisers have highly restricted free speech already.  There have already been numerous supreme court decisions about restrictions, actually.  That's why outright lies in advertising aren't legal (though misleading ads can be). 
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »

No.  Advertisers have highly restricted free speech already.  There have already been numerous supreme court decisions about restrictions, actually.  That's why outright lies in advertising aren't legal (though misleading ads can be). 

Free speech ain't free. You can say almost whatever you like as long as no one gets hurt as a result of what you're saying (hence why advertisers can't outright lie in any way that leaves evidence that they did so. Homeopathic practioners get away with it because the smarter ones don't write it down).
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

I am for loud commercials and am protesting this bill.

Ok I'm not...I actually hate it when I fall asleep with the tv on and one wakes me up.  It happens at least twice a week.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.