Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:02 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Scariest Video Games You Ever Played « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Scariest Video Games You Ever Played  (Read 12525 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »

Anyone played Rule of Rose for the Playstation 2?  I'm told that was a pretty damn creepy game.

I haven't, but I do know a bit about it.  It's creepy and its a fantasticing story, but sadly, from what I hear, the controls are frustrating.  Might ruin the experience, but I say give it a shot.

Sadly, don't have a PS2, and never been able to figure out those emulation programs...   Question

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Neville

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »

PS2 emulators are still very green. I keep hearing good things about PCSX2, but I've tried it a few times and got speeds so low I couldn't call any game playable. I have a high-end computer, so maybe it was the emu configuration.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother about PS2 emulators now. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BTM

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »

PS2 emulators are still very green. I keep hearing good things about PCSX2, but I've tried it a few times and got speeds so low I couldn't call any game playable. I have a high-end computer, so maybe it was the emu configuration.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother about PS2 emulators now. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

I couldn't even get the PS1 emulator I tried to work.  Course, that was a few years back.  I'd been wanting to play Parasite Eve (which looked like an awesome game.)  

Then, weeks later, someone sent me a link to a "preconfigured" version of Silent Hill, which all you had to do is hit the executable file, choose a few basic options and then, viola!  The game ran on your PC!

Guessing whoever made the program just took a regular emulator and built something around it to take care of some of the more cumbersome config options automatically, so a guy like me could just go, "Oh, yeah, Full Screen, that's cool!"   Twirling
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:25:38 PM by BTM » Logged

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »

The scariest game I've played was the original Resident Evil, back when it was still new.  I hadn't seen anything like that game before, oh, and me and my friends insisted on playing it late at night when we were in the house alone. 

Another game I really have to give some props to is Eternal Darkness.  That game messes with your head like nothing else. 
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »

I got a fairly creepy vibe from Another World/Out Of This World.  Just a bleak, alien world full of creatures looking to kill you.  Bladed leeches, Saarlac pits, bloodthirsty beasts and trigger-happy aliens everywhere you turn.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Neville

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »

I agree. And the poligonal graphics only make it seem more otherworldly.

Small | Large

For those who don't know it, it was a hit in the early 90s. The sequel, "Flashback", is even better.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

Well, there's also Heart Of The Alien for the Sega CD, which a lot of people slammed (and OOTW creator Eric Chahi wasn't pleased with it) but I enjoyed it.  The movements are more clunky when playing as the alien, but I thought it was even creepier with a bit of added gore thrown in. 

Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »

Anyone ever play Fatal Frame? That was a good dose of scares, as you went around capturing ghosts with this "ecto-camera" in an old Japanese castle.

Also, the original Onimusha which I have for my '360 (backwards compatible) has a few good moments of scare value.

Lastly, Bioshock seems to have it's effect on me: watching the Big Daddy's lumbering along, making those weird biological-type sounds,  freaks me out a bit. The rumbling of the controller does it's part to help the feeling too.  They're pretty scary  Buggedout
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:47:15 PM by Umaril The Unfeathered » Logged

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
BTM

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »

I agree. And the poligonal graphics only make it seem more otherworldly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgkf6wooDmw

For those who don't know it, it was a hit in the early 90s. The sequel, "Flashback", is even better.

Oh, man, who didn't freak out when that bear thing first appeared?  

Funny story, I remember I died twice not realizing the game had actually started.  I figured there'd be a HUD or something pop up to let me know I could move the guy, nope!

diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

When I was ten years old, one of my favourite computer games to play was "Carnivores 2". Despite enjoying the game, it also used to scare the crap outta me.

The premise isn't scary, basically you just go around hunting dinosaurs. Seems cool, right? I mean, you get to kill tyrannosaurs for cryin' out loud.

There were a few elements to this game that always managed to frighten me. For one thing, this game has no soundtrack. The only thing you hear is the wind blowing, the trees rustling, birds/pterosaurs squaking, little dinosaurs puttering around and so on. If I've learned anything, a situation that lacks in music can be a very tense one.

Whenever the creature would sense your presence, one of two things would happen:

1) If you were hunting herbivores (i.e. stegosaurus, ankylosaurus, etc), they'd run away.

2) If it was a carnivore (i.e. Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Ceratosaurus, etc), they would growl and then charge at you.

At age ten, the sound of the predator's fast paced, booming footsteps used to freak me out. Especially the tyrannosaur's. What'd be worse was when the map said it was behind me and I wouldn't notice until a big, gaping toothed maw popped up in front of me.

Man....this thread really brought back memories.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Scariest Video Games You Ever Played « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.