Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:49 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Munsters remake. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Munsters remake.  (Read 11910 times)
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »

I guess NBC wants to remake The Munsters. They're getting Bryan Fuller from Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls involved. Hmmm...

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/09/29/nbc-and-bryan-fuller-the-munsters/

The big question is, when will they finally remake Diff'rnt Strokes?

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »

There are some things that should just be left alone, and this is one of them.  While remakes certainly present the chance for something new,  the general shadow of doubt looms over remakes from the past series of duds that emerged.

Noone will ever make me laugh the way Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis did, and no pre-Elvira vampiress will ever be as beautiful and curvy as Yvonne DeCarlo (not to mention Pat Priest!) And there's only one Eddie and that's my man Butch Patrick.

The original Munsters was a good harmless show, free of politics and other non-relative stuff. It was truly funny in a way that time cannot reproduce. And therefore, it shouldn't be reproduced.  Thumbdown

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »

This isn't even the first time they've remade "The Munsters."

Small | Large

I predict this new series will have about the same level of success as the 1988 one.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cef48Od-h0

I predict this new series will have about the same level of success as the 1988 one.

Which is why it's not around anymore and practically unheard of...I remember this one too, and forgot it just as quickly.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Dr. Frank N. Furter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »

"The addams family" was a lot better. Someone ought to remake that IF they have to remake something...

As to "diff'runt strokes" being remade, please kill yourself at once for even thinking such a thing.   Wink
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

There are some things that should just be left alone, and this is one of them.  While remakes certainly present the chance for something new,  the general shadow of doubt looms over remakes from the past series of duds that emerged.

Noone will ever make me laugh the way Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis did, and no pre-Elvira vampiress will ever be as beautiful and curvy as Yvonne DeCarlo (not to mention Pat Priest!) And there's only one Eddie and that's my man Butch Patrick.

The original Munsters was a good harmless show, free of politics and other non-relative stuff. It was truly funny in a way that time cannot reproduce. And therefore, it shouldn't be reproduced.  Thumbdown

Very much agree word for word.  The original Munsters just had a wonderful innocence to it humor wise that has stood the test of time.  The cast was simply beyond loveable and the show was genius.  I think the best part of the whole series was the family didn't realize how odd they were and really thought they fit into society.  

God I had put that in the recess of my mind Rev and you dug it up.  I recall watching that as a kid and wanting to catch to original on rerun instead.  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »

This new NBC series sounds like they may be going for a different vibe and style of humor from the original.  If that is the case, I would feel better about it if they gave the characters different names and called the show something else.  It might be interesting though.  I'll probably watch it at least once.

Fox made a couple of Munsters movies in the 90's that were way better than that awful series from the 80's that's shown in the posts above.  They weren't as good as the original TV show and the first Munsters movie, but I remember enjoying them.

Small | Large
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

Those opening credits pretty much sum up the differences between the awful Munsters Today and the original series. The original series credits featured clever spoofs of 'family' sitcoms such as Leave It to Beaver and The Donna Reed Show while remake features the cast, uh, gently bouncing up and down on a couch.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:12:15 PM »

I remember this show.  It was horrid.  I think some things should be left alone.  Producers/writers should be more creative.

I think I might miss this one.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »

This new NBC series sounds like they may be going for a different vibe and style of humor from the original.  If that is the case, I would feel better about it if they gave the characters different names and called the show something else.  It might be interesting though.  I'll probably watch it at least once.

Fox made a couple of Munsters movies in the 90's that were way better than that awful series from the 80's that's shown in the posts above.  They weren't as good as the original TV show and the first Munsters movie, but I remember enjoying them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2O8UBQQv4

I liked those mid '90s things, myself. 

Although, the original was the best.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

There are some things that should just be left alone, and this is one of them.  While remakes certainly present the chance for something new,  the general shadow of doubt looms over remakes from the past series of duds that emerged.

The original Munsters was a good harmless show, free of politics and other non-relative stuff. It was truly funny in a way that time cannot reproduce. And therefore, it shouldn't be reproduced.  Thumbdown

Very much agree word for word.  The original Munsters just had a wonderful innocence to it humor wise that has stood the test of time.  The cast was simply beyond loveable and the show was genius.  I think the best part of the whole series was the family didn't realize how odd they were and really thought they fit into society.

Amen to that, Darksider-san  Smile  Very good point on how they thought they fit into society.  And in a lot of ways, they did, but always at a price, and it was usually Marilyn who paid. 

Poor Marilyn, she couldn't even get a date because of her family!  There again, that's not too unusual for some folks, and happens more than you'd think.   And yes, the innocence of it's humor is something that will never be reproduced.

I once read where it was a friend of Jerry Mathers who came up with the idea for The Munsters. He played with Jerry in the show, and both were monster fans. The other kid had a father who was a writer for another show, and he pitched the idea to his father.
(This from a TV Land tidbit.)

The show was to originally be called The Funsters but they all decided that he Munsters was better.  I think so too!   Cheers

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »

I don't see how you can do the Munsters without Fred Gwyne, Al Lewis, Yvonne De Carlo, Butch Patrick - just cannot see it working all that well at all. They've actually remade "The Addams Family" already before too. It was an half-decent show that basically did a lot of the same plots of the original series- it still paled in comparison to the black and white classic however even though all the characters were basically the same - the new actors just couldn't do them quite as well as their predecessors.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »

That is to say, more than the original?  The 1988 one lasted three seasons to the original series two - which amazes me, as I barely remember it.  The Munsters just somehow managed to get more popular after they were canceled in reruns.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »

That is to say, more than the original?  The 1988 one lasted three seasons to the original series two - which amazes me, as I barely remember it.  The Munsters just somehow managed to get more popular after they were canceled in reruns.

Good point: if you measure success in terms of the length of the run rather than the pop cultural impact, the remake series was more successful.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »

Good point: if you measure success in terms of the length of the run rather than the pop cultural impact, the remake series was more successful.

Well, more seasons didn't necessarily mean more fun..it just means people were looking for something different, or hit upon a small wonder.  The original will always do it for me. Fun and harmlesss, and with a very genuine fun atmosphere.

Naturally, we can never go back, and some remakes try to capture the feeling while updating for a new time, but sometimes, originals are just more fun, because they also take us back to the best times in our lives, too.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Munsters remake. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.