Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:10:34 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good frankenstein movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Good frankenstein movies.  (Read 4018 times)
Mean Machine
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »

The thread about hammer's frankenstein movies made me feel like doing a thread on good frankenstein movies in general.

A little known jewel is the offbeat but still good "Frankenstein unbound" by roger corman, an excellent little movie that really takes the frankenstein genre into some new dimensions. Not a film for the frankenstein puruist (All 3 of them) but a good movie nonetheless.

There was a made for tv miniseries called "Frankenstein, the true story" that had david macullum and jane seymour, a good effort.

I can't recall the title but there was one with I think randy quaid as the monster, another cable movie, that was at least somewhat close to the original story.

The first karloff movie and it's sequel were excellent, with "bride of frankenstein" being one of the best sequels ever made even to this day. Of the rest of the Frankenstein movies from that era, generally the less said the better.
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »

Frankenstein(2004) takes place in modern New Orleans, where strange doings are a' transpiring. Dr. Victor Frankenstein is alive and well, as is his monster, thanks to the doctor's work in genetics. He's been trying to create the perfect human all these years and it turns out the world is littered with his failed attempts. One of them is killing people in horrific ways in the Big Easy.

It's a different take on the story but I like it. This was the pilot for a T Vseries that was never greenlit, unfortunately. It had some interesting ideas, some good production value and the acting wasn't bad at all. You've got Parker Posey, Adam Greenberg and Michael Madsen as detectives.

Overall it's a shame this didn't have a chance to develop because I think it could have grown into something really good.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:34:13 PM »

Frankenstein(2004) takes place in modern New Orleans, where strange doings are a' transpiring. Dr. Victor Frankenstein is alive and well, as is his monster, thanks to the doctor's work in genetics. He's been trying to create the perfect human all these years and it turns out the world is littered with his failed attempts. One of them is killing people in horrific ways in the Big Easy.

It's a different take on the story but I like it. This was the pilot for a T Vseries that was never greenlit, unfortunately. It had some interesting ideas, some good production value and the acting wasn't bad at all. You've got Parker Posey, Adam Greenberg and Michael Madsen as detectives.

Overall it's a shame this didn't have a chance to develop because I think it could have grown into something really good.

This is based on a book by Dean Koontz, or something... It is a trilogy, the books I mean. I'm reading them now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Koontz%27s_Frankenstein

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »

There was a made for tv miniseries called "Frankenstein, the true story" that had david macullum and jane seymour, a good effort.

And it also had Michael Sarrazin as The Monster. I remember seeing this when it first came on as a miniseries on CBS when I was around 9 or 10. Thanks for jarring the old memory banks!  And yes, it was a very good effort. It needs to be seen again.Cheers

As far as good Frankenstein movies go, I'd like to take a little trip East-ward and include Frankenstein Conquers The World from Toho studios (1965.)

First, Frankenstein was not your typical being. He was a living, breathing creature and not sewn together and re-animated.  And his character was greatly humanized, and lastly, he grew to giant size and fought another monster (this is Japan, folks  Wink

The makeup for the Monster was good too, very good.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »

And it also had Michael Sarrazin as The Monster. I remember seeing this when it first came on as a miniseries on CBS when I was around 9 or 10. Thanks for jarring the old memory banks!  And yes, it was a very good effort. It needs to be seen again.Cheers

As far as good Frankenstein movies go, I'd like to take a little trip East-ward and include Frankenstein Conquers The World from Toho studios (1965.)

First, Frankenstein was not your typical being. He was a living, breathing creature and not sewn together and re-animated.  And his character was greatly humanized, and lastly, he grew to giant size and fought another monster (this is Japan, folks  Wink

Looks like a must-see for me. Thumbup

Small | Large

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »

Looks like a must-see for me. Thumbup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzlgVqm6cw

Oh yes, the AIP trailer.  This was the version that played on TV all those years past. I have the subtitled DVD and the story is pretty much the same, but with some added footage.

Remember a movie called War Of The Gargantuas? that's the sequel to FCTW.   And yes, a definite must see. Let me know what think about FCTW!  Cheers

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. As far as I remember this was the first movie with all the different movie monsters in it. Decades before the Monster Squad.

John Hancock
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

The Universal and Hammer movies are my favorites, but this one also deserves to be mentioned.  I really liked it.

Small | Large
Neville

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »

I watched "Splice" by Vincenzo Natali a few weeks ago, and it deserves a mention. It's not a straightforward Frankenstein film, but it is very similar. "Frankenstein" can be read as the story of an unaccepted parenthood. "Splice" is about a couple of scientists who start treating their lab experiment as a child.

You all should give it a try. Chances are if you're reading this thread you'll like it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

I actually thought Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with Kenneth Branaugh and Robert DeNiro was pretty good. Not great. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again, but pretty decent.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. As far as I remember this was the first movie with all the different movie monsters in it. Decades before the Monster Squad.

I'll raise my glass to that one...Lugosi, Chaney Jr. Glenn Strange and a special "dis"appearance by Vincent Price and the Invisible Man. 

My fave line in the whole movie.

Costello: "Frankie, you're gettin' a baa-d deal. I've had this brain for 32 years and it hasn't worked right once.." lmao!  Cheers

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »

It's not a movie but technically it is part of the Frankenstein legend.

Small | Large

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »

It's not a movie but technically it is part of the Frankenstein legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0GvSMUl98&feature=related

It's Buzz Conroy and Frankie!!!   Ted Cassidy did the voice of Frankenstein Jr. and I have many fond memories of hearing "OK Buzz, let's go!" on Saturday mornings in the early to mid 70's.  Frankenstein Jr also was on a double bill with The Impossibles.  "Rally ho HO!!!"

Nice post, Hammock Rider  Cheers

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »

Michael Sarrazin's performance as the creature is regarded my many as being second only to that of Boris Karloff's.

And, unlike most creatures, he does not start out being physically ugly, but only turns physically ugly when the experiment goes awry, and he begins to regress.

And what a cast the film had. Besides Michael Sarrazin, Jane Seymour, and David McCallum, there was James Mason, Leonard Whiting, Nicola Paget, Michael Wilding, Clarissa Kaye-Mason, Agnes Moorehead, Margaret Leighton, Sir Ralph Richardson, Sir John Gielgud, and Tom Baker.

It is also one of the most graphically violent versions out there, especially as it was made back in the '70's for television. I think over half of the cast has been killed off in various violent ways, before the film is over.

Also one might try the silent version with Charles Ogle as the creature. While I have seen only bits and pieces of it. It apparently exists in its entirity. And its quite impressive for afilm that was made a century ago by the Edison Manufacturing Company. (Yes, that Edison.)

And the version with Randy Quaid as the Creature was a made for TV movie made in 1992 and simplely called "Frankenstein." I have seen it, and while it is somewhat more faithful to the original novel than some versions, I've been more impressed by other versions of the story.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »

Michael Sarrazin's performance as the creature is regarded my many as being second only to that of Boris Karloff's.

And, unlike most creatures, he does not start out being physically ugly, but only turns physically ugly when the experiment goes awry, and he begins to regress.

It is also one of the most graphically violent versions out there, especially as it was made back in the '70's for television. I think over half of the cast has been killed off in various violent ways, before the film is over.

I remember that, the cast was all killed off in a bunch a' ways, including if I remember right) Jane Seymour getting her head ripped off by The Monster at a ball they attended.

And yes, I also remember the creature starting to decay-he looked in the mirror and had seen where he was starting to break down.  Some good stuff there.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good frankenstein movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.