Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 10:10:53 AM
529982 Posts in 40000 Topics by 4997 Members
Latest Member: psychotronictony
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Firefighters let house burn due to late fee [or how the system fails, again] « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Firefighters let house burn due to late fee [or how the system fails, again]  (Read 1499 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 07, 2010, 12:58:14 AM »

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8100891/crews-not-blamed-for-letting-house-burn

A US man is furious after firefighters stood by and watched his house burn down because they had not paid a $75 fee.

I find this situation utterly reprehensible.  A fire breaks out and the firefighters are told not to help all because of a $75 fee that wasn't paid by the home-owners.  Even after they desperately tried to offer more than 5 times as much for help in desperation as their home burns down.  The firefighters came, but only to put out the fire at the neighbours who did pay their fee...

This is an example where common sense and duty just failed...

I understand that the firefighters were told not to help due to regulations, but come on, common sense: you're there to put out fires, not let them burn...  They may have gotten a reprimand from the higher ups, but in the court of public opinion I can't imagine why any of them would have got in trouble for saving the house, especially since they were right there and could have!

The fact that this was all due to a small $75 fee makes it all the more ridiculous.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Newt
Mostly Harmless

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »

Isn't that along the lines of what the fire services in ancient Rome were said to have done?  Stand and watch unless/until fees were paid?

"I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great." - Roddy Mc Dowell
"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
 "I'm going to need a swat team ready to mobilize, street maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez." -  11
dean

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »

Isn't that along the lines of what the fire services in ancient Rome were said to have done?  Stand and watch unless/until fees were paid?

Well the difference is that they were offered money, but still didn't help.  I understand the need to have an 'out of town' fee for people who live out of the way, but still...

I can't help but feel that this is a dangerous practice: just imagine if someone was trapped in the house, would they still have said no? 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »

I'm going to have to be the dissenting view here.  The fact stands that these people did not pay the $75 fee that was required.  It's not like it was something new, it had been in place for a while.  The didn't pay for fire service, therefore they didn't get any.

I see people abuse emergency services EVERY SINGLE DAY in my line of work.  If this man's house was not worth $75 to him, then he shouldn't be complaining now.  The house was unoccupied at the time.  The owner's son was burning trash much too close to the house.  All of this could have been avoided if they would have just paid the $75.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »

I'm going to have to be the dissenting view here.  The fact stands that these people did not pay the $75 fee that was required.  It's not like it was something new, it had been in place for a while.  The didn't pay for fire service, therefore they didn't get any.

I see people abuse emergency services EVERY SINGLE DAY in my line of work.  If this man's house was not worth $75 to him, then he shouldn't be complaining now.  The house was unoccupied at the time.  The owner's son was burning trash much too close to the house.  All of this could have been avoided if they would have just paid the $75.

Fires are a public safety hazard, and should be paid for with property taxes, etc.  There shouldn't be anything optional about being covered by the fire department in any area.  That's the real issue here.
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »

Refusing to take his money at the scene was pure vindictiveness. They should be ashamed. They could have charged him more than the standard 75. They could have taken him to small claims court and tried to recoup whatever expenses they were out or they could have went to his home owners insurance(if he has any).

What you do not do is stand by and let it burn. Ridiculous.  Thumbdown

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pilgermann

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »

I also think it's stupid and petty.  Why couldn't they just take care of the fire and tack on some sort of additional fee for late payment or something?  The article did mention that three puppies belonging to the man's grandchildren died in the fire.  It's a good thing that there weren't people inside (if there were I would hope they'd ignore any late fees) but that's still pretty cruel.

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »

This happened not too far from where I live and it's not the first time something like this has happened. Do these people have no soul? How can you stand back and watch someone's house burn over $75?

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »

I agree with this guy's point of view.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/stimulus/2010/oct/7/burning-down-house-beck-and-olbermann-are-both-wro/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »

l totally agree with the majority of you: this was absolutely unnecessary, and
totally irresponsible, even moreso in the face of a a neighbor who was willing to pay for the protection of his fellow neighbor's home. 

Of most of the things that have gone on in recent times, this is the most
prominent example of total ignorance towards the plight of another person that
I've ever heard.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »

Fires are a public safety hazard, and should be paid for with property taxes, etc.  There shouldn't be anything optional about being covered by the fire department in any area.  That's the real issue here.

I agree.  This shouldn't have been a tax or fee that can just fall through the crack.  Also, I believe everyone expects property taxes and there are systems in place to create penalties if they are not paid.  I imagine that there must be a lot of homeowners in that area who are not paying the fire protection fee.  Perhaps this was the firefighters' way of scaring all of those who are delinquent.  Still, allowing the house to burn because of this doesn't seem like it was in the best interest of the community.

I agree with most of what he said, and believe he is advocating the same as Jim's comment:  this fee should be part of the local taxes.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »

I live in rural area and our fire protection is one of the items on our property tax statement.

I think the situation in this case is that these people live outside the city limits where property taxes go towards fire protection , thus they pay a fee because they don't pay property tax.

This doesn't morally excuse them from letting the house burn.  I have seen this scenario before.

Our fire department is all volunteers and sometimes they must have fund raisers to pay for new equipment. I'm always as generous as possible, but I know there are a lot of folks who don't help out. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »

I completely understand the need for a fee, don't get me wrong.  Especially since this property sounds like a rural area, and they're always short on volunteers/funding.

I just find it really dumb that they're right there, and are bound by rules and regulation telling them not to help.  Even though they're RIGHT THERE!   Hatred

I guess I'm more annoyed by a stupid system that would rather a house burn down over a $75 bill than save it.

I suppose I compare this to the ambulance service here: you can pay for private health insurance which gives you ambulance cover, or you could join the ambulance's service for a nominal fee, or if you don't join and need an ambulance, they slap you with a large bill to pay after the fact. 

The same could easily be applied here, and completely negates the argument the writer in trek's linked article [in that if you can pay for something after the fact, what's the point of insurance.]  Well maybe not completely, but it certainly eliminates the idea that NO MATTER WHAT, the house isn't getting saved.  I'd much rather that option be on the table rather than punish those who forget/don't pay.

Make the bill large, not prohibitive, but large enough that most people would rather not risk it and pay their $75 fee.  To those who don't, well they have the option: let it burn or be prepared to pay a large bill after your house is saved.

I don't know, would that work?

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »

I just find it really dumb that they're right there, and are bound by rules and regulation telling them not to help.  Even though they're RIGHT THERE!
   Hatred

I guess I'm more annoyed by a stupid system that would rather a house burn down over a $75 bill than save it.

Indeed. The system has truly failed  Bluesad

Imagine if the police were in question and not firefighters.  Would they just stand there and allow a house to be broken in, or be prohibited from taking action against a home invader because someone didn't pay the fee for their services?

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Dr. Frank N. Furter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 03:35:19 PM »

I guess the firefighters were "just following orders" or "It was just policy".

One thing that's sad about modern america is so many people just fall into submission when they hear the holy word "Policy".
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Firefighters let house burn due to late fee [or how the system fails, again] « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.