Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:31:40 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Overused words and phrases « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Overused words and phrases  (Read 22884 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »

One strike against me and I swear I subconsciously do this without even thinking.   The word "basically".  One time I did a speech and recorded myself.  I said "basically" about once every sentence.  I hate the word and it usually has no context in what I'm saying but I just can't help using it.  Its like a comfort word.   Bluesad

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »

"FML"  people use this idiocy way to much.  I can understand if you're doing a status update on FB like for example;

"A plane crashed in my backyard and destroyed my swimming pool and shed and now I have reporters everywhere asking me questions and I can't get out of my driveway FML."

However most of the time its usually something like this...

"I just ran out of milk FML"

Lookingup

Really is life that harsh for such minor things?
what does FML means? Either way, IRETU! TeddyR

yeah no.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »

"F#ck My Life"

DarkSider's Realm

Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »

“Sit and say”!  One of my managers at work finds a way to insert this phrase into just about every other sentence, and she talks really fast!  Every time she wants to point out where someone is going to make a decision, they’re “sitting and saying”. “We’ll give them the list and they’ll sit and say what they want to keep and what they don’t need.”  “I’m not going to be the one to sit and say this is the direction we’re going to go!”  So my friend and I make sport of it by trying to keep a straight face while using “sit and say” in a sentence while talking to her, trying to count how many times she says it in a meeting, or going back and forth with things like “I’m going to sit and say that cookie is for me!” “and I’m going to sit and say… you’re fired!”

I try to switch up some of the words I know I use too much, such as “really” and “poop”, and I confess, I’m a “like” abuser, especially when I’m talking to friends that use it too.  Sometimes I cringe when I find myself doing it, but at least I try!  I don’t embrace my “like” abuse.  Please forgive me.

WTF is FML? OMG! IRETU too!
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

I try to switch up some of the words I know I use too much, such as “really” and “poop”, and I confess, I’m a “like” abuser, especially when I’m talking to friends that use it too.  Sometimes I cringe when I find myself doing it, but at least I try!  I don’t embrace my “like” abuse.  Please forgive me.
I'm a "like" guy too.  Another word I'm trying to edit out of my vocabulary.

"Pretty" too...as in "that pretty much sums it up".

DarkSider's Realm

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »

"Awesome."  Smile

"Literally," especially since it's almost always used to convey the exact opposite meaning.  Why do people run around saying things like "I literally died when I heard that?"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »

Another one I use all the time that I hate;

"You know what...(insert blank)..."

example

"You know what I saw on TV the other day..."

I don't know why I do that.  I mean the other person would have no friggin' idea would they?

DarkSider's Realm

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »

"FML"  people use this idiocy way to much.  I can understand if you're doing a status update on FB like for example;

"A plane crashed in my backyard and destroyed my swimming pool and shed and now I have reporters everywhere asking me questions and I can't get out of my driveway FML."

However most of the time its usually something like this...

"I just ran out of milk FML"

Lookingup

Really is life that harsh for such minor things?

Often, people just use FML in vague whiny ways such as "FML! This sucks!" Somebody else will reply with "lol dude wuz wrng" The first person will inevitably reply with some sort of cryptically whiny BS such as "Ppl dont get me!"

I want to say "Maybe people don't get you because you don't tell them what the problem is!" However, I'm sure that 95% of the time people are just being whiny for attention and out of boredom.

Either way I never reply for 3 reasons:

1. I'm too busy crying tears of rage.

2. I don't want to encourage their nonsense by replying.

3. I'm very busy wondering why I decided to be Facebook friends with them in the first place.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 10:08:25 PM »

"Meh." It always seems so snotty and dismissive, like lumping a paragraph's worth of jadedness and disdain into three letters.

Same with "FAIL." That was funny when applied to things that go spectacularly or humorously wrong. Then everybody started using it, for what mostly seems like derisive attacks on people for any little mistake, funny or not.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 10:50:06 PM »

"Meh." It always seems so snotty and dismissive, like lumping a paragraph's worth of jadedness and disdain into three letters.

Same with "FAIL." That was funny when applied to things that go spectacularly or humorously wrong. Then everybody started using it, for what mostly seems like derisive attacks on people for any little mistake, funny or not.

Or when the same mistake crops up again and again. It kind of loses its meaning (especially "EPIC FAIL") when you've seen it applied to bus/truck drivers overestimating the height of the bridge/tunnel they're about to drive under around a dozen times.

Let's be clear: an epic fail is when something goes so spectularly wrong that you just know that not only will you never see it happen again in your lifetime but there's a fair chance that it's never happened before in the history of the world.
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »

"It is what it is"  - people say this like they are being so profound BounceGiggle

Another one I used to hear a lot a few years back but not as often anymore is "it's all good."  That one irritates the crap out of me.  No, it is NOT all good. You've got to be some kind of moron to believe that! BounceGiggle

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »

"Don't you know..." or "Can you believe...."

I get so tired of these two phrases

Heyyy... welcome back, Sister Grace! *HUG*

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 05:24:37 AM »

Cussing in general.

I know someone who uses "you know what?" so frequently it resembles a twitch.  When I get to the point where I cannot take it *one*more*time* I reply with, "No, I don't, but you're going to tell me" and she stops dead, looking confused.  She does not even know she is saying it.  Which somehow makes it worse.

My own transgression is saying "How would you like to..." when making a request of someone.  My kids delight in pointing out that no, they would not "like to" particularly, but they will.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »

"FML"  

Fluorometholone Ophthalmic Suspension?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:06 AM »

"It is what it is"  - people say this like they are being so profound BounceGiggle

Another one I used to hear a lot a few years back but not as often anymore is "it's all good."  That one irritates the crap out of me.  No, it is NOT all good. You've got to be some kind of moron to believe that! BounceGiggle

It is what it is. I haven't cared much for that one since that unhealthy working environment I was in a couple of years ago. The managing editor gave me a negative performance review that totally contradicted everything he said in some other pointless corporate evaluation two weeks earlier, in which I was a solid, dependable and professional asset to the team. When I asked him how I could get such a negative review when just two weeks earlier I was doing a great job, he responded with "It is what it is." That guy was about as two-faced as they come.

I have much fonder memories of "It's all good." A good friend of mine used to say that so much, it became a running joke for my wife and me.

What I find really funny is the way expressions sometimes get used. It made me laugh to see "It's all good" adopted as a slogan by McCain Foods. Yeah, I know they mean to put a literal twist on it, since their food is all good. But that's not how I hear the phrase used anywhere else. Looks like they're advertising their indifference.

http://www.mccain.com

McCain: It's all good. Makes me think of a few similar alternatives.

McCain: It's good enough.
McCain: We really don't give a crap.
McCain: It's done. We're not fixing it.
McCain: Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
McCain: What's the difference?
McCain: Nobody's going to notice.
McCain: Whatever.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:32:24 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Overused words and phrases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.