Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:41 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Overused words and phrases « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Overused words and phrases  (Read 22874 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »

Quoted for Truth

It annoys the hell outta me when I see posts where somebody has just quoted another person's statement, stuck "quoted for truth" on it, and posted it.  You're not adding anything to the conversation so why even bother?

Also, anybody that quotes this and adds quoted for truth on it is getting negative karma.   Hatred

Ah hell. I couldn't help it.

Quoated for Truth

TongueOut

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

Sounds like he was one of those guys who are good at stetching out a job that he is either unqualified for or just terrible at. I've know a few myself. Looks like he just ran out of bulls**t.

I think he got at least one promotion too many.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2010, 01:29:31 AM »

"Raising awareness for breast cancer." We're aware. It's high time to move on to the next step/raise awareness for cancers that affect organs that actually are vital.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »

Commercials where the person saids Call now. WHY SHOULD I?! So wait, you're up at 3 AM then? It really p**ses me off when they have to play the same friggen commercials over and over and over and over again, even repeating the same thing! Hatred

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »

"Raising awareness for breast cancer." We're aware. It's high time to move on to the next step/raise awareness for cancers that affect organs that actually are vital.

From:  http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics.jsp

About 1 in 8 women in the United States (between 12 and 13%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.

Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among U.S. women. More than 1 in 4 cancers in women (about 28%) are breast cancer.

About 39,840 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2010 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1991. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.

(Awareness has increased self-examination; self-examination has been a huge factor in early detection; early detection increases survivability.  Awareness saves lives.  Not all cancers are as accessible to self-examination.)

For relative statistics of the most common types of cancers:  http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:09:48 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

That's true. It's a cancer you can find early yourself if you know enough to check. Prevention is where the awareness comes in.

Still, the awareness terminology often starts when people don't know much about something, then continues long after the awareness campaign has worked. There was a time when cancer was something nobody knew much about unless it affected somebody they knew, and they still might not have known what it was exactly, or that it affected different parts of the body. Go back 30 or 40 years, and a lot of people still assumed it was a lung disease you got from smoking too much. And not many people thought about prevention or detection. It was just a bomb your doctor dropped on you. So yeah, making people aware of cancer risks, and of common cancers other than lung cancer, was extremely important.

But at this point, people are generally aware, and the efforts we're currently seeing described as awareness would more properly be described as educating the public and rallying support to the cause. These were always the goal, with awareness as the first step.

Gravekeeper makes an excellent point though. There are other cancers that can be as emotionally devastating as breast cancer, as potentially disfiguring, and much more aggressive and difficult to treat. Breast cancer has exceptionally good support, due in no small part to the emotional power of women being maimed in an area so intimately tied to sex appeal, motherhood and womanhood in general. It's no coincidence that breast cancer awareness really took off in the 70s and 80s, as it is so easily tied to feminism.

But that doesn't mean breast cancer is getting too much attention, just that people need to do as well with other cancers. And I think research into any form of cancer will yield information that could help with all varieties. These days, a lot of promising cancer research is going on regarding the mechanisms of cell division, cell death and DNA replication. It's getting into areas where the results are going to be important to all cancers.

Personally, I would like much more public awareness of prostate and testicular cancer. And it wouldn't hurt to have PSAs emphasizing frequent examinations of both, with the assistance of a wife or girlfriend if necessary. Wink

---------------------
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2010, 02:23:59 AM »

All I'm saying is that when I go into a grocery store/bus stop/any public space and see at least 3 notices about breast cancer, I think that plenty of awareness about the disease has been raised. Should more people self-examine? Sure. Will saturating public spaces help with that? Not too likely at this point, in my opinion.

With more self-examinations, we're catching more cancers earlier and thus the diagnosis rate goes up somewhat. There are people dying of other cancers that they simply aren't aware of because they aren't thinking to check for them themselves or to go to a professional to get checked. I know a lot of men and women who don't go in for their physicals like they should, even though they know that many doctors will check for signs of testicular/prostate/cervical cancer.

Lung cancer gets shunned somewhat simply because it's associated with smoking. Never mind that you can get lung cancer without smoking a single tobacco product in your life.

Let's face it: marketability has played a part in choosing which diseases most people are aware. It's easy to market organs associated with sex, but decidedly more difficult to "sell" organs that people generally don't talk about (eg- the large intestine. It can get cancer, too, and is considerably more difficult to treat than breast and testicular cancer).

So, yes, I'm glad that the exposure has helped to save many lives, but I feel that we're reaching the saturation point with these "awareness" campaigns.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »

The very fact that we are listing off other cancers in this thread indicates that raising breast cancer awareness also raises cancer awareness in general.

I think what set me off was the comment that other organs "actually are vital".  Cancer of any kind can kill if left alone.  It does not matter where it started out.   

ALL campaigns reach a saturation point: the 'art' of managing awareness of anything at all is in applying your resources in such a way as to maintain an optimum level of awareness with the minimum of investment.  Yes, detection has risen with/due to awareness. Apathy toward personal health was mentioned: without an active stimulus 'vigilance' (for lack of a better word) will drop off due to apathy and the detection rate will follow.

Health care in general - on both sides of the border - is persuing a policy of actively promoting personal responsibility for one's health with the emphasis on tactics of prevention.  I don't think awareness campaigns are about to fade away: they are likely to become even more common and the push will be on to saturate.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »

Lung cancer gets shunned somewhat simply because it's associated with smoking. Never mind that you can get lung cancer without smoking a single tobacco product in your life.

Lung cancer is the victim of an extremely effective awareness campaign - against smoking. Now there are a lot of misconceptions that need to be addressed, and a stigma attached to lung cancer that makes the public less sympathetic.

Let's face it: marketability has played a part in choosing which diseases most people are aware. It's easy to market organs associated with sex, but decidedly more difficult to "sell" organs that people generally don't talk about (eg- the large intestine. It can get cancer, too, and is considerably more difficult to treat than breast and testicular cancer).

Colon cancer has gotten a fair bit of attention over the past 20 or 30 years, thanks to the profitability of selling cancer prevention and colon health as a benefit of breakfast cereal, fibre supplements and so on. I think the most effective campaigns have tended to have some other motivation behind them, whether it be breast cancer and feminism, lung cancer and anti-smoking or colon cancer and the cereal industry.

Unfortunately, colon cancer doesn't quite lend itself to a breast cancer type of campaign. An image of somebody's mom, post-mastectomy, is going to elicit a much more predictable emotional response than some old guy with a colostomy bag. In general, cancers that maim in outwardly visible ways, without being gross, seem to be the most marketable. Not visible enough, and people have a harder time identifying with it. Too disfiguring, and it only works for a scare campaign.

Terry Fox was an ideal face to put on cancer. Brave young man, looked good in photo ops, missing a leg. Sounds like a war hero, doesn't it? It's little wonder people got behind him the way they did.

Lance Armstrong too. Although you can't see his loss, most men can identify with it, and he sends exactly the right message.

---------------------
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »

Alright, I've been a bit of a bonehead about this. A few minutes of Googling and points you guys have brought up have proven me to be a bit misguided. The concept of consumer activism still bugs me a little since buying products that say "a portion of the proceeds will go to X" seems a little odd to me. Sure, it makes people feel better about themselves because they've supported X cause, but what portion of the proceeds? Exactly which charity/charities is it going to if it's going to a charity at all instead of printing more posters or something about the cause? While these products do raise money for their causes, it's nowhere near as efficient as taking the money you would have spent on the product and donating it to a charity/research.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »

Hello. This thread is back. The following phrase I overheard at work and instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just bring this one back.

Politically Correct.

Please, people, stop using this tired phrase. It's not funny, clever, relevant, or meaningful anymore. I asure you, you're not cool when you say "I'm not politically correct." That phrase lost it's piquancy at least 15 years ago.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »

Hello. This thread is back. The following phrase I overheard at work and instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just bring this one back.

Politically Correct.

Please, people, stop using this tired phrase. It's not funny, clever, relevant, or meaningful anymore. I asure you, you're not cool when you say "I'm not politically correct." That phrase lost it's piquancy at least 15 years ago.

It's still a good word to describe certain policies, philosophies, decisions, etc., as it was before it became a buzzword in the early 90s. And it can be used much more broadly than most people understand it. Really, it applies to anything that is correct for political purposes, or in line with current political thought. It can also imply that such things are wrong for more important or fundamental reasons. Before it became a widespread buzzword, variations of the term had been around for many years, and even been embraced by different groups as both a good thing and in the ironic sense we know today.

But I agree that saying it for effect is dumb. The buzzword status of political correctness peaked around 1993 or so, tied to real issues and debates of the time. It was pretty much reduced to a joke through the mid-90s, so I think you've nailed it exactly. It's been at least 15 years since anyone sounded clever for saying it.

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Overused words and phrases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.